Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tom Glavine feels cheated by the Braves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb

Had Tom Glavine known that he was auditioning for the Braves, he says that he wouldn't have made his Minor League rehab start.

Braves have said that their decision was solely based on performance but Glavine
tossed six scoreless innings and look in complete control in his rehab start. On wednesday morning, he received an indication that the Braves weren't interested in giving him the opportunity to prove that he could still pitch in Atlanta.

273130984_o.jpg

"Looking at the whole situation and taking into account what I've done in this city and during my career, there's no question in my mind that things could have been handled different," Glavine said.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
They did screw him over and I said that from the very beginning. He had a great career in the ATL and I would have loved to have seen him make a stellar comeback.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
I dont agree with the move....if a guy like Glavine can show any signs of being able to pitch at the big league level you keep him....just way too valuable for the younger guys plus whatever you can get out of him....

The Braves I guess feel that there is some other direction they must go...

TK

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
jbone17 said:
They did screw him over and I said that from the very beginning. He had a great career in the ATL and I would have loved to have seen him make a stellar comeback.

+1, you know this was going to blow up in their faces. What, the Braves couldn't afford the small roster bonus? I'm sure he would've been TERRIBLE for the young guys on the bench though... ::facepalm::

Maybe Tommy can go into the Hall with the blue and orange now! :lol:

braves2008champs

Aug 7, 2008
I'm a die-hard Braves fan - but honestly, I see them making this as a "win now" decision. Believe me, they could have easily added the $1 M to the payroll - not about the money. I am not upset at all - Glavine would have been tee'd off against.

Calling up Hanson is a much better decision

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
braves2008champs said:
I'm a die-hard Braves fan - but honestly, I see them making this as a "win now" decision. Believe me, they could have easily added the $1 M to the payroll - not about the money. I am not upset at all - Glavine would have been tee'd off against.

Calling up Hanson is a much better decision
Agreed 100%. Glavine would've really hurt the Braves.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
pujolsthomefan33 said:
The Braves I guess feel that there is some other direction they must go...

TK

Yeah, the right one. They should have never brought Glavine back to begin with.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Let's think this through for a second everyone.

IF the Braves thought he could help them win games, wouldn't they keep him? This seems to be the question that everyone is forgetting. They know Tom Glavine better than anyone. The Braves had a team of evaluators at the game and over the last couple of weeks watching him. He OBVIOUSLY didn't have what it will take to make an impact on the big league club.

It doesn't matter that he was getting some 18-19 year olds out. They were evaluating his "stuff", not his results. JUST LIKE EVERYONE EVALUATOR IS SUPPOSED TO DO.

The Braves made the best decision for winning now and in the future.

skrip

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
The Braves should be scolded for releasing Glavine, he is a perfect fit for guiding the team's inevitable success and march towards the playoffs this year and beyond, a cornerstone for the future. The Braves will regret not giving him a chance.

Sincerely,

Ken Griffey Jr., Seattle Mariners DH

chuckbartowski

Jan 2, 2009
Doesn't surprise me that Glavine has reacted this way...to me he was about Glavine first, Braves second, and this just confirms that.

braves2008champs

Aug 7, 2008
Sounds like Smoltz x 2 :lol:

Someone refresh my memory - but Maddux wasn't this way when we couldn't/didn't sign him, was he?

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
braves2008champs said:
Sounds like Smoltz x 2 :lol:

Someone refresh my memory - but Maddux wasn't this way when we couldn't/didn't sign him, was he?

BOOOOOOYAAAAAHHHH! (to the maddux comment)

Really, Glavine throwing 83 mph against a bunch of a ballers for 6 innings, shutout or not, doesn't mean squat. You think utley, howard, beltran and guys of the like are going to have a hard time with that garbage. I appreciate what he did for us as much as anyone, but lets be serious. How can you pay big bucks and play guys that are coming off major injuries and surgeries, but they're not willing to give you anything in return if they can't be productive. He packed his bags once to NY and he can pack them again.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
I think Glavine wasn't mad for the decision, but he didn't like how it was handle. They can let him know in advance so he can announce his retirement on his own term. The way the Braves say he is done make him look bad if he want to pursue other team to sign him.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
Let not act like he was blowing people away in his last rehab start. Only the last inning or two was good, his defense picked him up a lot. The situation was handeld pretty bad, but emotions aside, it was 100% the correct move. Glavine was supposed to be a fill in til Hanson was ready (more likely til the Super 2 date passed). He couldn't do that and Hanson is no doubt the best choice for the Atlanta ball club. I respect his career, but I'm not gonna act like he didn't screw over the Braves, although there was "union pressure."

Members online

Latest posts