Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dear MLBPA....learn something

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
[ebay:3ofcghez]200344856889[/ebay:3ofcghez]
[ebay:3ofcghez]270392563027[/ebay:3ofcghez]
[ebay:3ofcghez]290318573700[/ebay:3ofcghez]

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
djrulz said:
His true rookies of 2005 are selling for less than the "new" rookie logo cards

So, I guess they did learn something, the majority of fans like actual rookie year rookie cards over pre-rookie rookie cards.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
flightposite said:
djrulz said:
His true rookies of 2005 are selling for less than the "new" rookie logo cards

So, I guess they did learn something, the majority of fans like actual rookie year rookie cards over pre-rookie rookie cards.

As much as I hate to say it, in this case, it seems to be the MLBPA got there way, atleast for Coby. This trend doesn't hold up across the board, does it? I don't keep track of the prospect market, so I'm ver interested.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
It could also be set collectors on the SPx. I know that Phil Coke SPx autos have been going for more than twice what other autos he has.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
plainwhitejerseys said:
I think it's a good thing. The RC Logo stuff SHOULD sell. It's better for everyone.

Exactly. If the MLBPA did learn something from this, it's be that they made the right decision from their point of view.

starwarsfan2003

Dec 4, 2008
The RC logo was done strictly so UD could be on equal footing with Topps on rookies and so MLBPA didnt have to hear their whining anymore.

But Topps got their way, keeping Bowman true RC's by calling them inserts and not part of the true base set.

Then UD invents Razor to give the big FU to everyone

A crock of crap all around.

And Donruss still has no license, arguably putting out some of the best products of 08 and 09.

Makes me want to drop my career and focus all my resources on becoming MLBPA president so i can fire all the idiots that work there.

And we will never see Donruss Century, what would of been the best set of the year, hands down.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
As long as people truly understand the differences between RC and FY I have no problem either way with how well the cards sell or don't sell.

But I still have a problem with Topps' Bowman exception, it makes things complicated.

People who buy cards that show minor leaguers/pre-MiLBers/etc. should be proud of the fact that the cards they have show minor league/pre-MiLBers/etc. players!

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I'm glad I didn't explain where I was coming from with this post, because everyones input was very good.

My point was that a 5th year autograph (1st from UD, MLB Rookie Logo "RC") is outselling Rasmus' 2005 Bowman Chrome autograph RC. My point is UD holds just as much weight in the RC market, actually more weight in every other sport but baseball.

How great would this hobby be if Topps and UD operated under the same rules?

The MLBPA is a disgrace and the hobby will suffer until the RC monopoly is taken away from Topps.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I think you're missing the point which is that people are/can be interested in RC logo/RC as much or more so than FY cards.

Adamsince1981 said:
I'm glad I didn't explain where I was coming from with this post, because everyones input was very good.

My point was that a 5th year autograph (1st from UD, MLB Rookie Logo "RC") is outselling Rasmus' 2005 Bowman Chrome autograph RC. My point is UD holds just as much weight in the RC market, actually more weight in every other sport but baseball.

The MLBPA is a disgrace and the hobby will suffer until the RC monopoly is taken away from Topps.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
The 05 BC Rasmus autograph IS a RC. The RC logo plan didn't effect things until 2006.

So no matter what the MLBPA wants un-educated collectors to think...An UD 5th year autograph is outselling Colby's true autograph RC.

The best thing for this hobby would be if there were 2005 UD RC's to choose from OR this was the first year that any company could make a Rasmus card. The BDP releases are considered RC's by the vast majority of the hobby.

uniquebaseballcards said:
I think you're missing the point which is that people are/can be interested in RC logo/RC as much or more so than FY cards.

Adamsince1981 said:

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Not to mention, I just picked up a Sterling 8.5 for $20 + shipping. I remember when they were getting $50's. I do want a SPX though too, they look really nice.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
People are understanding what constitutes a RC and what constitutes a FY regardless of whether or not there is a silly logo on the card. Clearly the 2005 is a FY card.

Adamsince1981 said:
The 05 BC Rasmus autograph IS a RC. The RC logo plan didn't effect things until 2006.

So no matter what the MLBPA wants un-educated collectors to think...An UD 5th year autograph is outselling Colby's true autograph RC.

The best thing for this hobby would be if there were 2005 UD RC's to choose from OR this was the first year that any company could make a Rasmus card. The BDP releases are considered RC's by the vast majority of the hobby.

starwarsfan2003

Dec 4, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:

If all things were equal, UD would crush Topps. Topps survives because its the home of the RC plain and simple. That and the base set.

As hard as they try, Topps cannot put out a winning high end product. They deserve praise for Sterling and TTT tries, but they cant do that consistently throughout all their products, hence why they need the bowman brand immensely

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Perhaps from your view as an 'elite' collector this is true, maybe not. But we 'elite' collectors are a very small percentage of people who buy the bulk of cards.

But I will not and haven't bought anything UD in several years.

starwarsfan2003 said:
If all things were equal, UD would crush Topps. Topps survives because its the home of the RC plain and simple. That and the base set.

As hard as they try, Topps cannot put out a winning high end product. They deserve praise for Sterling and TTT tries, but they cant do that consistently throughout all their products, hence why they need the bowman brand immensely

starwarsfan2003

Dec 4, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:

Also wanted to point out, do you think Topps doesnt lobby the hell out of MLBPA to stay in that grandfathered deal? They must grease a hell of a lot of palms to stay in that deal. That deal goes under, Topps goes under, or loses at least a third of their market share if not more.

Members online

Latest posts