Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jim Thome - HOF lock?

Jim Thome - lock for the HOF?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Just a passing thought. A true slugger without the dark shadow of steroids cast upon him. 1B with 541 (and counting) home runs, 1,488 RBI. By previous standards, 500 HR gets you in the door...do you guys think that's changed? I personally think when it's all said and done he'll make it...but as a guy that's watched Thome play for years...he doesn't seem like a Hall of Famer to me - much like Jeff Kent (who I think will definitely be in). Thome has a shot at 600 bombs assuming he remains at his level of production for a couple of years. I'm yet to hear his name come up in retirement rumors.

Nothing brought this on, just curious what you guys think.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Big Mac McGwire said:
Like you as well, i just do not think of him as a HOF'r. Sheffield will also surpass 500 next season and he IS NO WAY IN HELL a hall of famer. 500 will not be automatic anymore.
What about 3000 hits or 3000 strikeouts

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
darocker80 said:
Big Mac McGwire said:
Like you as well, i just do not think of him as a HOF'r. Sheffield will also surpass 500 next season and he IS NO WAY IN HELL a hall of famer. 500 will not be automatic anymore.

Bert Blyleven retired with over 3,700 k's and 280+ wins, and he's been denied for 11 years I think

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
wolfmanalfredo said:
darocker80 said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

Bert Blyleven retired with over 3,700 k's and 280+ wins, and he's been denied for 11 years I think
Really, why not? (Also never heard of him haha).

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
wolfmanalfredo said:
darocker80 said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

Really, why not? (Also never heard of him haha).

I think it has more to do with people feeling he is a compiler of stats.I think its a pretty low argument but I would guess some feel it is relevant.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Id have to say no.

He might not have the steroid thing on him... but he did hit most of his home runs during the steroid era.... so that will always cast a little doubt over him.

Alex Rodriguez hit most of his during the same era... but he has 3 MVPs and 2 runner ups.... Thome was 4th in his best year.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think there was a long thread about Thome this summer, either here or on Beckett, but I have to think he's a lock, though maybe not 1st ballot. I think he'll reach 600 homers even if he has to hang around an extra year, though I believe he'll most likely do it by 2010. Not the most exciting guy, not the most dominant guy, playing the shadow of Pujols, Bonds, Thomas, and others where the MVP not only hits 48 homers but also .330. But he has no steroid baggage, he was a key on the great Cleveland teams of the 90s, and he seems to be a 'good guy.' He's in.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
smapdi said:
I think there was a long thread about Thome this summer, either here or on Beckett, but I have to think he's a lock, though maybe not 1st ballot. I think he'll reach 600 homers even if he has to hang around an extra year, though I believe he'll most likely do it by 2010. Not the most exciting guy, not the most dominant guy, playing the shadow of Pujols, Bonds, Thomas, and others where the MVP not only hits 48 homers but also .330. But he has no steroid baggage, he was a key on the great Cleveland teams of the 90s, and he seems to be a 'good guy.' He's in.

I agree with this assesment. Also add in that there MUST be someone inducted each year now, that ups the odds for borderline guys like Gossage

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
LOCK. He will get to 600 homeruns with over 1,500 RBI's. 600 is the new 500, so he is DEFINITELY in... guys like Sheffield and Delgado will have to worry, even WITH 500 HR's. I don't think Sheff makes it unless he sticks around and gets to 3,000 hits. Delgado has an outside chance, but unlikely. Thome writes his ticket with 600 HR's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts