Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CroCop apparently leaves UFC......already.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
According to articles on SherDog and Yahoo Sports, after Mirko`s fight at UFC 99 Dana White offered him a fight against Cain Velasquez and he informed Dana that he has signed a 3 fight deal with DREAM. Pretty ****** if you ask me. As a fan of his I am disappointed. I was looking forward to seeing him make a run at the HW title. All of the sudden the vicious eyepoke doesn`t seem so unintentional. I am just let down I guess. I expected much more from Mirko. Dana said plain and simple, Mirko ****** them. Dana took the chance in letting him have a 1 shot deal, and gets ****** over because of it. No more of those!

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
It looks like this was a tune up for him. He turned down Coture Big Nog and Cain and they finally settled on Al Turk. Kind of a chicken **** move I think.
Now there is no way that White will give Fedor a one fight contract even if Dana was thinking about it.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Do you think Dana would have signed Cro Cop if he had gotten KO'd in the first round? No. He just got some of his own medicine. Cro Cop was just looking out for himself.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
People need to realize a few things about professional fighting. It is an EXTREMELY dirty business. I love all these people who claim to know the details of fighter's business transactions and negotiations. I have several friends who fight in major organizations, and I can tell you that whatever you hear or whatever a fighter says in an interview is only part of the truth. Lots of stuff goes on behind the scenes that we will never know.

Also, as hard as it is for some people to believe, the fighters do not fight for the fans. Sorry, its true. They fight because its what they do for a living and its what puts food on their tables. If Mirko got a better offer from Dream, than hell yeah he should go for it!

I'm pretty tired of the "so and so has to PROVE themselves by fighting in so and so organization." Bull$hit. The amount of people (on sherdog especially) who act all tough and have convinced themselves that they are badasses and gurus of the sport is comical.

MMA is a business. A very very dirty one that is full of backstabbing, lying, and taking advantage of people. As far as those who claim Mirko is "screwing over the UFC", I say great! I cant even fathom how many people that Dana has screwed over...

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Bornagaincollector said:
I would have liked to see him fight some better fights after this win,but i can't believe this was for money though.

I do not know the answer to this, but the UFC is notoriously (sp?) stingy with what they pay. Dream and other Japanese orgs pay very well. Rumor is that Mirko was offered more fights in a shorter period of time (3 fights within a year in Dream as oppossed to 3 fights within two years in the UFC). If that is indeed true, than it sounds like its about money to me.

Plus, Mirko has stated that he wants a rematch against Alister Overeem after what happened last year.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
Ty is right for the most part.
The UFC is notorious for bullying their fighters into signing contracts that heavily favor the UFC.
They do not pay fighters for much else other than fighting. You sign your rights away for video games, DVD releases, etc. The UFC has to approve your sponsors as well which is why Matt Lindlan is no longer with them. He wore an Unauthorized sponsors shirt after his last fight.

Sure the top guys (Rampage, Chuck, Randy, Brock, GSP, etc.) will make $150K - $350K, but there are much more mid range guys than them than are lucky to pull in $150/year.

Now, sure that may sound liek a lot, but its really not that much.

Fighters have to pay for the following:

Medical Insurance
Agent (typically 10%)
Gym fees

Of course, without hearing Cro Cops version, its hard to speculate, but I will say that IMO, I dont believe Dana White is lying since Cro Cops 1 fight contract goes completely agianst the UFC norm.

Eithr way, Mirko isnt really that relevant in teh HW division anyways so good riddance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts