Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Forbes Field turns 100 this week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
even though it isn't there anymore Pittsburgh is celebrating the 100th birthday of one of baseball's most famous ballparks. there is an exhibit at the Pittsburgh History Center celebrating the history of Forbes Field. the Pirates played the Cubs in the first game on June 30, 1909 and lost but would win the World Series that season. the Pirates and Cubs would play again on June 28, 1970 the last game at Forbes. the Cubs come to PNC Park for a 3 game series that will celebrate Forbes Field Monday through Wednesday. the Pirates are offering $4 tickets Tuesday to celebrate the occasion.

post-gazette.com story

some random pics...

forbes-field.jpg

forbes-field1.jpg

forbes-field4.jpg

forbes-field2.jpg

forbes-field3.jpg

forbesfield.jpg

forbes-field5.jpg

20090405_pgh_baseball_1909_500.jpg

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Awesome stuff. I would give nearly anything to be able to go back in time and check out some games like in that movie The Winning Season, which is Honus Wagner related.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
forbesfield.jpg

A friend of mine got me a big poster of this shot for Christmas. I actually didn't recognize the field or the scene, but it's a great shot of a great moment (just after Mazeroski's homer to win the 1960 Series).

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
that photo was taken from the top of the University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning (another Pittsburgh landmark).

cathedral-of-learning-1a.jpg

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
That shot from the Cathedral is one I haven't seen before. Looking at some of these Forbes Field pictures, it's amazing how different Oakland looked before UPMC took over the city.

Members online

Latest posts