Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cool ***** League/Barnstorming pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Hope everyone is doing okay with all the craziness going on.

Until the mid-50's or so, barnstorming was a pretty common occurence for MLB ballplayers. At that time, players weren't paid enough during the season to just do nothing during the off-season, so they were looking for something that paid. At the same time, TV's weren't really common yet, and MLB hadn't really moved West much, meaning that much of the country never had a chance to see MLB games.

Barnstorming helped solve all those problems. Teams were put together that would travel around the country, playing everywhere from Yankee Stadium to small Minor League parks. Players would make extra money in the offseason, playing mostly in the South and West.

Before Jackie Robinson broke the collor barrier, black players and white players did not play on the same team, but they did often face off in barnstorming games.

Likely the most famous barnstorming tour of all time occurred in 1946 when Bob Feller coordinated a tour with Satchell Paige (he still spelled his first name with 2 "L" at that point). Scheduled to play 30 games, Feller did a ton of planning, making sure that the tour would run smoothly. They had planes to charter the teams and there are some classic images of Paige and his team by his plane.

While Feller's team had names that more fans will recognize, including Phil Rizzuto, Bob Lemon and Stan Musial once the WS ended (the tour started before the Playoffs were over, and Musial only came for the last few gmaes), the ***** League team had some big names of their own. Lead by Paige and fellow HOF Hilton Smith, they also featured Buck O'Neil, Artie Wilson and many other ***** League Stars.

I've been collecting programs related to this series for a number of years and have picked up 4 different styles to this point. Towards the end of the tour, a range of factors lead to the teams falling apart a bit, and Jackie Robinson ended up playing a few games as well. (One of the programs I have has him in the lineup.) Ultimately, even with the hiccups, the tour was a huge success for all involved. And tours like these helped convince people that black players could compete with the best in the Majors, and helped people get used to seeing them together on the same field. While we take that for granted today, baseball's integration happened long before Martin Luther King Jr and before Brown vs Board of Education declared that separate but equal was unconstitutional.

Which brings us to the pickup. This signed sheet includes much of the Paige All-Stars roster. Included are some pretty tough autographs such as Frank Duncan (caught for the Monarchs for 2 decades and also managed them at the end of his career), Barney Brown and Howard Easterling. Hank Thompson and Sam Jethroe would later play in the Majors. And many other here were ***** League stars.

I'm sure other signed items from the tour exist (one of the programs I have has a few signatures) but I've never seen a team signed piece related to the tour. Really excited about this pickup and the history that it contains.

Attachments

• 1946 Paige All-Stars Signed Sheet.jpg
    1946 Paige All-Stars Signed Sheet.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 28

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Very historic!
A quick story about Buck O’Neil. After a Royals game when I was younger, I was waiting by the White Sox bus for Frank Thomas when I noticed people were gathering in the parking lot just outside the stadium. They were getting autographs from Buck O’Neil. As more and more people exited the stadium, more people began to trickle over there - adults and kids alike. Wouldn’t you know, he stood there and signed every autograph until the last person left. Such a class act. He belongs in the MLB Hall of Fame.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Incredible piece of history. Absolutely beautiful signatures. Congrats on yet another museum quality pickup!

Thanks! With everything going on now, it's been a crazy time and collectibles were on the back burner for a month. Sold a bunch of lesser items to help fund it, but excited to get it in!

That's very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! One of the reasons I enjoy these boards is because people here can appreciate a piece like this, whereas most baseball fans don't care if it's not Jeter or Mantle etc.

Very historic!
A quick story about Buck O’Neil. After a Royals game when I was younger, I was waiting by the White Sox bus for Frank Thomas when I noticed people were gathering in the parking lot just outside the stadium. They were getting autographs from Buck O’Neil. As more and more people exited the stadium, more people began to trickle over there - adults and kids alike. Wouldn’t you know, he stood there and signed every autograph until the last person left. Such a class act. He belongs in the MLB Hall of Fame.

Buck was a true ambassador for the game, and I hope he gets in. As a player he was solid but from what I have read, not on the level of many of the ***** League greats. The HOF cycles through who is considered for the Hall, but this year they are looking at ***** League players again. I'm not super optimistic, but hopeful that a few get in. There are still quite a few oversights of players who were considered one of the 2-3 best players ever at their position in the ***** Leagues and in the top 5-10 best pitchers of all-time. Dick Redding, Dick Lundy etc.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
That’s a great pickup! Larry Lagrande lives in Roanoke and has a book out about his playing days, including touring with the Paige All Stars

bearpup

Jul 4, 2019
ms.
i'll have to get out mine and scan them to share and possibly trade. a few years ago, to me-i'm old,
the birmingham barons came through with picture post cards of themselves. i got a few signed and put them away.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Not Mantle or Jeter, don’t care! Just kidding i don’t like those guys anyway, lol...

great piece, is it just a loose sheet of paper or was it from something? I love the aesthetics of , I think, Jessup’s signature. The one that’s two under Satchell

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Wow that is really cool. What a great piece of history.
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! It's only the 2nd piece I can recall coming across signed from the team so pretty excited about it.

very nice lineup.

Thanks!

That’s a great pickup! Larry Lagrande lives in Roanoke and has a book out about his playing days, including touring with the Paige All Stars

That's super cool! I've read about it from a few different perspectives in different books. Each one adds a bit more to the picture which is really cool.

i'll have to get out mine and scan them to share and possibly trade. a few years ago, to me-i'm old,
the birmingham barons came through with picture post cards of themselves. i got a few signed and put them away.

Definitely pull them out!

Not Mantle or Jeter, don’t care! Just kidding i don’t like those guys anyway, lol...

great piece, is it just a loose sheet of paper or was it from something? I love the aesthetics of , I think, Jessup’s signature. The one that’s two under Satchell

Yup Joseph Gentry Jessup. Made the ***** League East-West All-Star Game every season from 1944-1948.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
For another great Buck O’Neil story, see if you can find the story about why Satchel called Buck Nancy. I just read it in The Sports Illustrated book, Great Baseball Writing

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Found it!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts