Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Donavan Tate USA auto.....this doesn't look right.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I was doing my search of "mispelled names and came upon this auction of Donavan Tate

I didn't open any USA sets and am not familiar with all of the auto's, but who's auto is this? Were these cards all bandaid auto's?

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Randy Shields said:
^Booomp^

Anyone who busted this stuff know who's auto this really is?

Not a clue, but I'm guessing that Tate just threw on a nickname (possibly signing this after he signed a "Q&A" or "IHOW" card) & then added DT (D.Tate) after the inscription/nickname; then this made it's way into the set's. These were on-card (not sticker's) so I guess anything's possible if these player's signed these unsupervised...heck, it even could have been a friend of Tate's or a loved one who was thier when he was signing these (imagine his bud's coming over to pick him up to go out for the evening & Tate saying: "hold on, I gotta finish signing this stack of baseball card's before I head out" & the friend grabbing some to help out so they can be on thier way)...I know, lame scenario! :? :lol:

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
(imagine his bud's coming over to pick him up to go out for the evening & Tate saying: "hold on, I gotta finish signing this stack of baseball card's before I head out" & the friend grabbing some to help out so they can be on thier way)...I know, lame scenario! :? :lol:

Not lame at all imo.

Just prior to the Beijing Olympics a local news channel went to interview an Olympic hopeful from Hawaii, a judoka by the name of Taylor Takata.

While he was talking to the reporter, you could see in the background (and I'm not talking 'far away' - but literally behind the man) a bunch of his friends signing Topps cards. (they were based on the 07 design - the all black field with the colored squares) Now while it's true I didn't see what they were scribbling onto the cards, I don't think they were marking them up for laughs. Each of them had a pile of about 50 cards each next to them and they were signing away like a well-oiled assembly line.

And this was about the time I recall hearing that Topps was doing an Olympic set. So before making a public accusation, I privately reached out to a Beckett mod to see what they could find out. Perhaps alert Topps that, if they were indeed doing such a set and if they were inserting autographs, I thought it prudent to address the issue of having a Topps representative at the very least review the process.

Being Beckett mods - you can imagine the reply I received. <insert crickets here> Even followed-up a week later by going to a different mod. <insert more crickets here>

I don't know if Topps ever did an Olympics set (a net search yielded nada) but your scenario isn't lame - in fact I'd say it was very within the realm of the possible.

Members online

Latest posts