Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Random stat for today: 3 run saves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Here are the 194 times that a pitcher allowed 3 or more runs in a game, and still earned a save: http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... areit/f7sn

I sorted it by runs allowed in a game. You gotta love June 6, 1973. Dave Goltz comes in to pitch in the 7th inning of a 9-1 game. He allows 2 runs in the 7th, 2 runs in the 8th, and 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th to earn a 3 inning save. Fortunately for him, his Twins score 4 runs in the top of the 8th, which produces a 13-9 win for them over the Indians.

8 run saves: 1
6 run saves: 1
5 run saves: 5
4 run saves: 23
3 run saves: 164

David

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Dave, what exactly is the official prerequisite to qualify for a save? I thought I knew, but I guess I don't.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
My favourite save ever was Wes Littleton recording a three-inning save in the Rangers 30-3 win over Baltimore in 2007. He entered with the score 14-3 and held the O's at bay while his teammates scored 16 more times.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
Dave, what exactly is the official prerequisite to qualify for a save? I thought I knew, but I guess I don't.

I believe you can pitch 3 full innings no matter the score, pitch the 9th (including 8th if pitched) with a 3 run or less lead, or come in with the tying run on deck (i.e. Joe Nathan recently came in with the bases loaded and a five run lead, didn't give up a run and got the save).

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Rule 10.19

The official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions:

1. He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team
2. He is not the winning pitcher
3. He is credited with at least ? of an inning pitched
4. He satisfies one of the following conditions:
A. He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
B. He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
C. He pitches for at least three innings

If the pitcher surrenders the lead at any point, he cannot get a save, but he may be credited as the winning pitcher if his team comes back to win. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
leatherman said:
Rule 10.19

The official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions:

1. He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team
2. He is not the winning pitcher
3. He is credited with at least ? of an inning pitched
4. He satisfies one of the following conditions:
A. He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
B. He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
C. He pitches for at least three innings

If the pitcher surrenders the lead at any point, he cannot get a save, but he may be credited as the winning pitcher if his team comes back to win. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Gracias.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
thought this was a save but guess not

3-0, top of the ninth. starter gets one out and then his arm hurts, and closer comes in and finishes?

Members online

Latest posts