Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why Do people resist making an offer? dISCUSSION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
I know that most people would prefer bin/bo on ebay, but it seems as though most refuse to make an offer of any kind when they are interested in cards in a bucket, i don't have a bucket. I beli8eve both parties have an idea of what is fair so why not just shoot the person a pm offer. I will typically post a fair price if one is available, most times an ebay avg. Just wondering why the resistance. we do it on ebay why not FCB?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Because 50% of the time you contact the buckett owner and now they want the high ebay price from 2 months ago and 3 high end autos to get a deal done. Ebay you make the offer and its done.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I usually don't make offers on Ebay either unless it's a hard to find item.

Making the buyer make an offer just makes the buying process unnecessarily long and annoying. You, as the seller, have a price in mind so why not just reveal the price? Many times I'll find a card I like and the seller will say "make an offer." I make an offer of, for example, $40 and the seller will reply back "How about $50?" If you want $50, why not just list the card at $50? The first offer the buyer makes is usually not the highest he's willing to pay in fear of overshooting the seller's price in mind. The seller is not revealing his price immediately hoping the buyer will offer more than what he has in mind (this RARELY ever happens). Why play games?

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I have no problem with EBay offers, I've had plenty of success of offering a price that I figured would be shot down in a second and then checked the things I to pay for and see that I won.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
fengzhang said:
I usually don't make offers on Ebay either unless it's a hard to find item.

Making the buyer make an offer just makes the buying process unnecessarily long and annoying. You, as the seller, have a price in mind so why not just reveal the price? Many times I'll find a card I like and the seller will say "make an offer." I make an offer of, for example, $40 and the seller will reply back "How about $50?" If you want $50, why not just list the card at $50? The first offer the buyer makes is usually not the highest he's willing to pay in fear of overshooting the seller's price in mind. The seller is not revealing his price immediately hoping the buyer will offer more than what he has in mind (this RARELY ever happens). Why play games?

definitely see your point. I agree that for a heavily traded card, i.e. David Price stuff a price range is pretty solid so going in the middle would be a good idea. Usually it's greed that causes most sales not to be made. The only thing that I dislike is a buyer finding the lowest, most of the time an outlier sell because of when the aution ended, and quote that price. I will throw out the hig and the low and the range then is pretty accurate. I even start my auctions either at the price I want, or reserve the card at that price. I cost myself fees, but at least when it sells I know I got what I want. As I was increasing my Blue collection of Hodges, i came across a couple of people that wanted BGS 9.5 prices for a RAW copy. I was polite, but I passed. One guy even lost out on about $40 extra when he would not reply to an offer on a Gold. Yes I bid on the card, but not what I had offered. Lost the Gold, but it was the principle of the matter.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Funny this comes up now, because just yesterday I found myself in this situation here at the FCB. I had a card a member was interested in but since it was lower end with no real book or CV price to lean on, I simply asked for a fair price offer, he offered and I sold. It went very smoothly. Infact, the same thing happened a coupple weeks ago with a nice blue refractor au I had just pulled. A board member saw it, liked it, made an offer and I sold. That went smooth as well...

Perhaps I'm just lucky??

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
matfanofold said:
Funny this comes up now, because just yesterday I found myself in this situation here at the FCB. I had a card a member was interested in but since it was lower end with no real book or CV price to lean on, I simply asked for a fair price offer, he offered and I sold. It went very smoothly. Infact, the same thing happened a coupple weeks ago with a nice blue refractor au I had just pulled. A board member saw it, liked it, made an offer and I sold. That went smooth as well...

Perhaps I'm just lucky??

when a seller value money more than a card they will smile. when a seller value a card more then money they wiil starve.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
matfanofold said:

Perhaps I'm just lucky??

Not the case, you just happened to stumble upon a tradeboard (transactions) member who isn't a moron. A rarity these days.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
steve-a-reno said:
matfanofold said:

Perhaps I'm just lucky??

Not the case, you just happened to stumble upon a tradeboard (transactions) member who isn't a moron. A rarity these days.

Lol, perhaps your right. No, I'm sure of it. :)

autocut

Blue Hodges Reverend said:
I know that most people would prefer bin/bo on ebay, but it seems as though most refuse to make an offer of any kind when they are interested in cards in a bucket, i don't have a bucket. I beli8eve both parties have an idea of what is fair so why not just shoot the person a pm offer. I will typically post a fair price if one is available, most times an ebay avg. Just wondering why the resistance. we do it on ebay why not FCB?

I am going to be as bluntly honest as I can. People expect you to GIVE them your cards and sometimes too embarrassed to publicly lowball you. If you noticed, unless it is a hot prospect, no one is buying anything. You'll get a bunch of will you trade or "CMB". People blow their money on packs and boxes. then they have a bunch of unwanted cards and have to trade. Almost like a gambling addiction. I know it sounds harsh, but think about it. $60 for a nice card or $60 for a box of cards with a slim chance to pull something nice. Which direction do you think most people will go? Then people want to pay below ebay prices, but I prefer to put the cards on eBay. Why sell below ebay prices when you have an ebay acct. All that does is give them a cheap price without the hassle of having competition for a particular card aka get sniped.

I know most people are reasonable with selling prices, but no one cares about reasonable. They want steals. You notice even if you post a price, people rarely respond. When you say taking offers, they rarely respond. Now if you basically give the card away, that thread will be flooded with traffic. Another thing I hate about the hobby. Another reason I only buy what I collect so I don't have to worry about trading or needing tradebait. Now only if I can correct my mistake in buying packs and boxes... and sell off what I don't want or need for my collect. Life would be grand.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
nyc3 said:
Because 50% of the time you contact the buckett owner and now they want the high ebay price from 2 months ago and 3 high end autos to get a deal done. Ebay you make the offer and its done.

True DAT! I started trading for a while, and it was like a five hour process to hammer out a deal.....

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
auto great post. we all know it is a form of gambling and the random box breakers should remember if you dont have it to lose dont play. i might have gone overboard on my blue hodges collection but i got what i wanted. 1 grand on hodges singles vs a case of 2007 bc hoping? no thanks. pulled a bc lars from a 3 dollar retail pack got 55 bv 100, but i could care less. win-win buyer and seller

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
I make offers occasionally but still get slightly aggravated when legitimate offers are declined.

I recently offered $23 on a $99BIN/BO for a card that has been selling for $19, the last one sold for $19 and had a nicer patch than the one I made the offer on. The seller declined and noted he could not go less than $47 because of its "playoff potential"

Oh well can't win them all, but yes I still make offers.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
seems to be getting worse. now even when people offer a decent price, below ebay, on sig cards people are saying, oh, i didn't know they go for that much. i doubt that. let's face it if the offer is not a steal it usually is not accepted. glad my buy list is narrow and i keep track of going rate so when i offer the price is fair to both parties if they really want to buy/sell.

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
matfanofold said:

Perhaps I'm just lucky??

Good part of it you were not hit with Ebay fees!

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
jlvjr16 said:
matfanofold said:

Perhaps I'm just lucky??

Good part of it you were not hit with Ebay fees!

Was thinking the same exact thing. Wow, I must be lucky too. My deals have usually been 1 or 2 emails with a fair price and done deal. Granted I haven't done many on these boards, so I haven't had to deal with inexperienced collectors, etc. But even on ebay I've had good success. Of course, being a set collector, you kind of HAVE to make a better than fair offers sometimes. I've probably overpaid on many cards, but 'tis the life of a crazy set collector.

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
autocut said:
Blue Hodges Reverend said:

I am going to be as bluntly honest as I can. People expect you to GIVE them your cards and sometimes too embarrassed to publicly lowball you. If you noticed, unless it is a hot prospect, no one is buying anything. You'll get a bunch of will you trade or "CMB". People blow their money on packs and boxes. then they have a bunch of unwanted cards and have to trade. Almost like a gambling addiction. I know it sounds harsh, but think about it. $60 for a nice card or $60 for a box of cards with a slim chance to pull something nice. Which direction do you think most people will go? Then people want to pay below ebay prices, but I prefer to put the cards on eBay. Why sell below ebay prices when you have an ebay acct. All that does is give them a cheap price without the hassle of having competition for a particular card aka get sniped.

I know most people are reasonable with selling prices, but no one cares about reasonable. They want steals. You notice even if you post a price, people rarely respond. When you say taking offers, they rarely respond. Now if you basically give the card away, that thread will be flooded with traffic. Another thing I hate about the hobby. Another reason I only buy what I collect so I don't have to worry about trading or needing tradebait. Now only if I can correct my mistake in buying packs and boxes... and sell off what I don't want or need for my collect. Life would be grand.

Exactly. Trading is for those that have patience. I have none which is why I only buy singles and stay away from wax.

Latest posts