Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So this is what a Vintage PSA 2 looks like?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I've had quite a few modern slabbed cards.... but I finally got my first vintage job and I am so pleased.
I can't believe how nice a PSA 2 can actually be. For a 58 year old piece of cardboard, it's a Gem to me!
I know we'd all prefer a higer grade, but I forced a total of $9.99 out of my nonexistent budget for this puppy!
51BowmanBigKlu.jpg

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
First off, great pickup! The '51 Bowman set is a favorite of mine.

It's amazing what will bring down the technical grade of a vintage card. Paper loss, along with back staining, seem to be a killer for both SGC and PSA. This card of mine resides in a PSA 1 holder (notice the small spots of paper loss on the back - top and bottom left):

w575_1_1922_johnson_confect_scott.jpg

My T206 Kleinow also sits in a PSA 1 slab:

t206_1909_11_sweet_cap_350460f42_op.jpg

I understand the grade for the T206, yet when you place the two side-by-side, the grades make no sense (imo.)

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
jay1065 said:
First off, great pickup! The '51 Bowman set is a favorite of mine.

It's amazing what will bring down the technical grade of a vintage card. Paper loss, along with back staining, seem to be a killer for both SGC and PSA. This card of mine resides in a PSA 1 holder (notice the small spots of paper loss on the back - top and bottom left):

My T206 Kleinow also sits in a PSA 1 slab:

I understand the grade for the T206, yet when you place the two side-by-side, the grades make no sense (imo.)

I think we can both live with the grades for such nice cards. I hope to find more Big Klu PSA 2's in the future. :D

By the way, thanks for trumping my "vintage" with your antiques! Show off! :lol: :lol: ;)

and another ;) just to be sure you know I'm kidding.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
There are 1's and then there are "1's"...

58MordecaiBrownCunsonShirt.jpg 176ElmerFlick.jpg

A lot of the lower grade cards can still have great visual appeal. A mark (or stamp) on the back or a tiny bit of paper loss can kill a cards grade.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Scottopotamus said:
There are 1's and then there are "1's"...
A lot of the lower grade cards can still have great visual appeal. A mark (or stamp) on the back or a tiny bit of paper loss can kill a cards grade.

I could handle a PSA1 T206 Wagner. Heck...even just one labled "authentic".

It'd still be pretty.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
jay1065 said:
Maybe another 2?

MattinglyAlexander said:
I hope to find more Big Klu PSA 2's in the future.

Are you starting a player collection?

I've been trying to for a while. He was my father's favorite player. ONLY with the Reds though. He said he no longer cared for the Reds after Big Klu was gone... that is until Rose, Bench, Morgan, Foster....and the BRM. :lol:

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
jay1065 said:
Maybe another 2?

MattinglyAlexander said:
I hope to find more Big Klu PSA 2's in the future.

Are you starting a player collection?

Oh, I didn't even notice you answered before.
Compared to the PSA2 '51 Bowman...it couldn't be another 2... but as you've said... some many things to look at.

I see it and think, "Dang... that card is 60 or 61 years old.... it sure looks good for it's age."

But the corners.... I think someone loved that card and tried to take care of it, but loved to show it off.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Some nice looking 1's and 2's. A visually appealing front is much more important to me that paper loss on the back. Didn't realize that knocked the grade down so much. Thanks for the info.

Alex

rc4157

Aug 10, 2008
I've probably shared this before, but I thought Mighty Allexander would like to see it being he is a Kluzewski fan. My wife's grandfather ran a bar in Dayton, OH and Klu used to come in occasionally. He came back and signed the picture, not a great autograph but at least you can still see it.

RC

TedKluzewskiwithOmerKorte-Karens-1.jpg

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
rc4157 said:
I've probably shared this before, but I thought Mighty Allexander would like to see it being he is a Kluzewski fan. My wife's grandfather ran a bar in Dayton, OH and Klu used to come in occasionally. He came back and signed the picture, not a great autograph but at least you can still see it.

RC

TedKluzewskiwithOmerKorte-Karens-1.jpg

That is pretty cool. But why the "mighty" Alexander?

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I just snagged my first foosball vintage. I'm hoping the auto is Genuine. Can one of you vintage folks inform me as to the cost of vintage grading by PSA plus authentication.... or either/or.

$17 Shipped. Worth the chance on the auto? I think so. Sure looks like a nice copy of the card though..even being off center.
!BYJU8SQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLly3cCBKgBJW,(4g~~_12.jpg

birdsfan85

Aug 7, 2008
MattinglyAlexander said:
I just snagged my first foosball vintage. I'm hoping the auto is Genuine. Can one of you vintage folks inform me as to the cost of vintage grading by PSA plus authentication.... or either/or.

$17 Shipped. Worth the chance on the auto? I think so. Sure looks like a nice copy of the card though..even being off center.
The auto is defintely real I got Parilli ttm this year. Nice card but if you would've got it ttm yourself you could've saved a few dollars.

MattinglyAlexander

Dec 17, 2008
Knoxville, TN
birdsfan85 said:
MattinglyAlexander said:

The auto is defintely real I got Parilli ttm this year. Nice card but if you would've got it ttm yourself you could've saved a few dollars.
Yeah, but I didn't own a 1959 Topps and it saved me the work. I passed up a certified auto because it wasn't a beauty vintage like this one. So he's good TTM? Cool.

Members online

Latest posts