Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chris Withrow Promoted to AA!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
phillyfan0417 said:
undeserving promotion IMO, walks about 5 per 9 IP although he strikes out alot of batters as well...

I was thinking the same. Maybe there trying to give him the confidence nod.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
He's blowing through batters at A+ .... I don't see why you wouldn't allow him to challenge himself and pitch in AA. Blake Beavan is doing the same thing.

Sometimes players get too comfortable knowing their pure stuff can overpower hitters and get a little sloppy in the control department. Facing better hitters will make him a better pitcher.

It's a BIT early to say "bad promotion", when we haven't even seen him pitch a game at the AA level to this point.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Vagrant said:
He's blowing through batters at A+ .... I don't see why you wouldn't allow him to challenge himself and pitch in AA. Blake Beavan is doing the same thing.

Sometimes players get too comfortable knowing their pure stuff can overpower hitters and get a little sloppy in the control department. Facing better hitters will make him a better pitcher.

It's a BIT early to say "bad promotion", when we haven't even seen him pitch a game at the AA level to this point.

Not really sure what you're basing that opinion on, he has been wild, inconsistent and has an ERA around 5. Not sure saying he's blowing through batters holds much water.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
phillyfan0417 said:
Vagrant said:

Not really sure what you're basing that opinion on, he has been wild, inconsistent and has an ERA around 5. Not sure saying he's blowing through batters holds much water.

The 105 K in 86 IP is a pretty good indication that his pure stuff is running through those guys. Yes, he's getting in trouble with walks and things of that nature, but perhaps they're challenging him to start pitching more instead of throwing.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
I think it's just a case of seeing where his head is at the end of the year. They'll let him see how he stacks up against the bigger boys and it'll give them a chance as an organization to asses his progress. I don't think it can hurt him at this point and if he's able to perhaps gain some focus against the better competition it'll give him a lot of confidence for next season.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I agree. It seems to be working for Deolis Guerra so maybe it will work here too.

Bigfan5 said:
I think it's just a case of seeing where his head is at the end of the year. They'll let him see how he stacks up against the bigger boys and it'll give them a chance as an organization to asses his progress. I don't think it can hurt him at this point and if he's able to perhaps gain some focus against the better competition it'll give him a lot of confidence for next season.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Withrow has top-of-the-rotation potential but he's stuck between facing crappy hitters and having less than impressive command. I say promote him and see what he can do at the next level.

Members online

Latest posts