Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Royce Gracie as your #1 Fight that Could've been?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Seems a bit far fetched but sherdog seems to think a Gracie/Kerr right was the number 1 fight that never happened.

...I can think of at least 5 more fights off the top of my head i'd rather see than that

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Bornagaincollector said:
Ty,
Whats your opinion on Royce Gracie in his prime v/s Fedor?Who wins?

I think Fedor would have either KOd him or won a decision. If Nogueira couldn't sub Fedor (twice), now way Royce would have. Also, Royce wasn't a HW.

hector234

Sep 14, 2008
Ty Hope said:
Bornagaincollector said:
Ty,

I think Fedor would have either KOd him or won a decision. If Nogueira couldn't sub Fedor (twice), now way Royce would have. Also, Royce wasn't a HW.

I agree that Fedor would be Royce, but remember BJJ is all about being able to beat larger opponents. Royce defeated Akebono who weighs close to 400 lbs

Aug 29, 2008
While I think Royce was great in his time MMA has evolved so much since he started. When he started in the UFC he was fighting guys that had very little knowledge of what BJJ was, how to use it and how to defend it. Essentially all he had to do was get the fight to the ground and it would eventually be over.

Royce was essentially a one trick pony. His striking is well below average and his wrestling and take downs were quite weak too. One thing MMA has taught us now is that its very very hard to be successful while only mastering 1 skill. I would have a hard time putting a prime Royce even in the top 5 in his weight class, welter weight, never mind having him beat the greatest fighter of all time Fedor.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
hector234 said:
Ty Hope said:
Bornagaincollector said:
Ty,

I agree that Fedor would be Royce, but remember BJJ is all about being able to beat larger opponents. Royce defeated Akebono who weighs close to 400 lbs

not a good match to emphasize since the only way royce could beat akebono was by a shoulder lock in the later rounds after getting his ass handed to him

Members online

Latest posts