Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mother settles BS lawsuit against Little League for.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
bungle77 said:
That is awful. And they wonder why people don't get involved in community programs anymore...

Exactly! My son is only 11 months old, but I would love to coach when he's old enough to play little league. Not if I'm gonna get sued, though!

(I always sucked at sliding)

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
NECpilgrims8 said:
The pussification of America continues, one child at a time. ::facepalm::
I don't know when exactly it happened, but for some reason we as Americans are no longer responsible for our actions or the consequences. Nothing is ever our fault it's always someone else's. As long as there are plenty of lawyers, this will always be the case. What we need is a justice system that recognizes frivality and puts an end to cases such as this. What will this case merit? I know if my son did that while playing baseball I wouldn't hold anyone responsible as these things unfortunately are part of the game.

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
Dang it! What's the statute of limitations on this sort of thing? 14 years ago I sprained my ankle really bad going in to second. Sure, my coach probably told us how to side, but I wasn't paying attention. He should have made sure I was paying attention--maybe a pre-test and a post-test, multiple choice diagrams sort of thing. What was the name of that lady's lawyer?

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
my friend got stitches from a 16" softball game last night. He's not blaming anyone, even the kid wearing metal cleats who slid into him, when he shouldn't have worn metal cleats.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I remember reading an article about a school in which kids aren't allowed to touch each other in any way, shape or form. No handshakes, no high-fives, nothing.

Wanna play tag?

You'll have to tag the person's shadow instead.

Wanna play dodge ball?

You'll have to have the ball hit the person's shadow instead.

::facepalm::

A_Pharis

Do I think it seems a bit crazy? Yeah.

BUT -- if the kid really did need surgery of some kind (any kind that would require a somewhat hefty bill), then the woman may have needed some type of insurance paid to cover the hospital bills. In order to do this, she would have to sue the organization in order to get the Insurance to pay. So, it essence, she isn't suin the organization -- she's suing their insurance.

Now, whether or not she really NEEDS it (depending on the tpye of "surgery") is out to question.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
A_Pharis said:

BUT -- if the kid really did need surgery of some kind (any kind that would require a somewhat hefty bill), then the woman may have needed some type of insurance paid to cover the hospital bills. In order to do this, she would have to sue the organization in order to get the Insurance to pay. So, it essence, she isn't suin the organization -- she's suing their insurance.

Now, whether or not she really NEEDS it (depending on the tpye of "surgery") is out to question.

I highly doubt she filed suit for that purpose. She clearly claimed that the bases weren't safe and that her son wasn't instructed properly.

Ms. Gonzalez sued the New Springville Little League, Little League Baseball Incorporated and two of Martin's coaches in state Supreme Court, St. George.

In addition to negligent coaching, she contended a stationary base was used, despite data showing that detachable bases were safer.

Never mind that the kid himself tried to stretch a hit, on a judgement play, and slid. No one forced him to slide and the only coaching decision was to wave him along to second. There is nothing negligent in that action by the coach.

Pretty soon, we will all be required to have our kids play sports in their own personal bubble.

A_Pharis

At the same time, I would assume a persoal risk waiver be signed for most leagues. Still, insurance suits would require listed reasonings, and those seem like "buffer" reasons to add to the suit.

I worked in a courthouse for 4 and a half years handling record archives, and I've seen it a million times.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
A_Pharis said:

When you sue insurance, who pays for it? It may come from the insurance company, but it's your (and other customer's money). The insurance company then raises your rates.

Even if the kid needed a total knee replacement and 3 years of physical therapy, it still wouldn't get close to 125k.

A_Pharis

justinmandawg said:
A_Pharis said:

When you sue insurance, who pays for it? It may come from the insurance company, but it's your (and other customer's money). The insurance company then raises your rates.

Even if the kid needed a total knee replacement and 3 years of physical therapy, it still wouldn't get close to 125k.

Never said it was worth that much, but you have to figure that standard proceedure for insurance suits covers for "future loss of enjoyment of life." If the court decides that kid is losing out in the future due to a weaker knee then they will award it.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
A_Pharis said:
justinmandawg said:
[quote="A_Pharis":3euq5ofr]Do I think it seems a bit crazy? Yeah.

Never said it was worth that much, but you have to figure that standard proceedure for insurance suits covers for "future loss of enjoyment of life." If the court decides that kid is losing out in the future due to a weaker knee then they will award it.[/quote:3euq5ofr]

From a non-legal standpoint and more of a medical outlook, the knee is a joint that can take some serious surgery and be OK. Barring any serevely serious breakage of the bones, the ligament surgeries can be done, and re-done, and re-done without losing integrity. It's quite amazing actually.

This kid shredded his meniscus and blew his ACL. Doesn't seem that major for his long term future as an athlete.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Blame the jury. At least 6 people decided to give the kid that much.

I'm on the BOD of my Little League, and I do know that every LL has insurance through the central Little League of America, so this was likely AIG/CNA taking the hit.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
Not to go on a long rant but the biggest problem we have in America is the media. They are the ones who sensationalize everything and portray pictures they know will stir the public. These kind of lawsuits are on TV everyday and people are getting "paid" almost like hitting the lottery. Ridell recently got sued by Corey Stringer's family b/c they did not put a warning on the equipment saying "wearing this could lead to heat stroke and death". Really? If we held journalist and news stations responsible for accurate reporting then maybe this would change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts