Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do you know if an auto is fake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crosby87

Jul 7, 2009
Pittsburgh
I do not get how some people suppose and auto is faked or not. And or if an auto was just signed in a rush...
Here is an example. I have a bit of crosby autos and they are in person. One he signed in a rush and didn't give his best signature. Would it be thought as some as a fake?
Here is the not so nice sig first and the nicer one last. I got pucks and sticks signed by him and he never signed them like this first one.
Also the first auto is from 08-09 training camp and 2nd one from 2005 when he came to the Pittsburgh airport first time in Pittsburgh.
Scan10171.jpg

Scan10156-1.jpg

crosby87

Jul 7, 2009
Pittsburgh
I know it isn't a fake I got them signed in person. But If I wanted to sell them what if somoene would be skeptical? And what if authentication thought the auto was bad and said it was fake.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
crosby87 said:
I know it isn't a fake I got them signed in person. But If I wanted to sell them what if somoene would be skeptical? And what if authentication thought the auto was bad and said it was fake.

same answer as before...

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
crosby87 said:
And what if authentication thought the auto was bad and said it was fake.

Nothing you can do if an authenticator says its no good. The only really way for people to know your stuff is legit is through having a good reputation and taking pictures. Take pics of the players signing and try to get a pic with the player.

hofauto psa/dna quick opinion can only be done through ebay or an auction house.

crosby87

Jul 7, 2009
Pittsburgh
I got a picture of the puck he signed...actually I randomly found this picture on photobucket and so many people were taking pics of him that it caught him signing the puck. It is my dad getting it signed and he signed it in the black sharpie in his hand.

100_1109.jpg

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Proof shots don't mean anything. Just because you have a picture of a player signing doesn't mean your stuff is real.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I have gotten many things signed by Sid, and only two times did I get an auto that looks like his "certified" autos. I'll never sell my stuff anyways, so I can give 2 shats what an authentication service has to say about them.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
andyduke86 said:
Proof shots don't mean anything. Just because you have a picture of a player signing doesn't mean your stuff is real.

no it doesn't, but it often eases peoples minds. Some pics are good though, if you can photo match the autograph up or if you are holding the item after it gets autoed with said athlete.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
G $MONEY$ said:
crosby87 said:
And what if authentication thought the auto was bad and said it was fake.

Nothing you can do if an authenticator says its no good. The only really way for people to know your stuff is legit is through having a good reputation and taking pictures. Take pics of the players signing and try to get a pic with the player.

hofauto psa/dna quick opinion can only be done through ebay or an auction house.

List it on ebay, that is what I do...have done it MANY times.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
MattinglyAlexander said:
hofautos said:
google psa dna quick opinion
cost is $7

How much for a grade and authentication?

For that card, I would get authentication only...$20, or you can be satisifed with the PSA/DNA quick opinion for $7.

Knuckles

Oct 2, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Inconsistency is the most obvious tell tale sign.. A guy can sign something 100 times and there will be certain aspects showing up here and there within the autograph that are consistent in every single autograph of his.

Another tell tale sign of forgery are pen stops... this is when someone has a real autograph sitting beside them and they're looking at while signing the fake.. When the person stops for a second to take a look at the real autograph it creates a little dot within the autograph.. a person signing their name doesn't stop here and there in the middle of signing something..

Sometimes an autograph can look fake because the celebrity signing the autograph may be walking while signing, in a hurry etc..

PSA/DNA and the others are not always correct. Though they help, they do authenticate the odd bogus autograph, as well as deem some at fake or "inconclusive" by accident as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts