Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Razor Autos..ouch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Will they become the next scoreboard auto? I have been over on the trade boards here and they are
shunned bigtime. I see...

"looking for autos, no razor"

or

buying all prospect autos and razor if cheap

Are these guys even making cards anymore? Seems like it didnt' catch on even with all the exclusives. I feel like
I could never move the few I have. Oh well

Kevin

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Perhaps the guys people are looking for on the trade board are not the exclusives? Obviously they'd have to be guys like Posey, G. Beckham, Anthony Gose, etc that are not exclusive to Razor, because otherwise they wouldn't have any other cards to be going after. Clearly Razor autos aren't doing great on the secondary market, but don't read too far into that trade board talk because it simply doesn't add up. I'm buying Gose, but not Razor because he has Elite, etc. If I'm buying Hosmer, I'd be buying Razor...no alternatives.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
i am not surprised. all of their baseball releases have had flaws in terms or planning and/or production...

signature series-1st release, on card which was nice but they went away from trapped sigs late in production so the design left something to be desired. sold well upon release but condition sensitivty and the release of metal killed the secondary market value in most cases.

metal/metal autos-nice concept and design but many of the cards had noticeable blemishes. the fact that they weren't marketed well makes them relatively unknown to the general hobby public.

letterman-manufactured patches bearing no resemblance to the player's affiliated team...yuck

m-never released due to production/packaging mishap

i think razor came into the game with the best of intentions but i believe they have already dug their own grave. 1-2-3 strikes you're out

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think when some of these guys make it big you might see an uptick in prices seeing as how these are their first autos(the exclusive guys anyway).

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
BowmanChromeAddict said:
Perhaps the guys people are looking for on the trade board are not the exclusives? Obviously they'd have to be guys like Posey, G. Beckham, Anthony Gose, etc that are not exclusive to Razor, because otherwise they wouldn't have any other cards to be going after. Clearly Razor autos aren't doing great on the secondary market, but don't read too far into that trade board talk because it simply doesn't add up. I'm buying Gose, but not Razor because he has Elite, etc. If I'm buying Hosmer, I'd be buying Razor...no alternatives.

Just curious, but you do know that the UD USA Matusz outsold the Razor Matusz (& not barely either, the possible ROI on the Matusz "cut-out" auto's were RIDICULOUS)! So your "no alternative's" comment means you would buy Razor Hosmer over UD USA Hosmer? (& if so, you don't think lightning will strike twice, as it did with the Matusz buyer's favoring UD over Razor?) :D

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
BowmanChromeAddict said:
USA is an alternative for Hosmer...

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
KandKCards said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:
USA is an alternative for Hosmer...

It was a freaking generalization guys. Substitute Hosmer for any other exclusive that isn't in a USA release.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Thanks, it just seems like every guy I trade with is treating razor like the plague. I guess there is always
room for growth in any product, but it seems like razor and sportskings for that matter came and went..they
sold their product, but there is almost no one collecting their cards now.

Kevin

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
schmidtfan20 said:
Thanks, it just seems like every guy I trade with is treating razor like the plague. I guess there is always
room for growth in any product, but it seems like razor and sportskings for that matter came and went..they
sold their product, but there is almost no one collecting their cards now.

Kevin

I think it could be that a lot of the known guys either started the season stinking it up, or are currently stinking it up.

Beckham-sub par
Alvarez-started sub par, is playing fantastic now but the hype has yet to catch on (USA or Razor)
Wallace-traded to the A's ::facepalm::
Smoak-started great, but has struggled in AAA. Hasn't shown the power yet either
Alonso-same as Smoak
Hicks-sub par
edit:Hosmer-How could I forget Hosmer's start? His Chrome Auto would be $15 right now if he had one.
Skipworth-had the hardware last year, but has done nothing this year.

The top guys just aren't getting it done.

MTBright

Aug 7, 2008
soccerman034 said:
I am heavily invested in Razor, but I worry about their future value....I really worry.

I would be, I do not see much value in the Razor Signature, The metal gold and blue may be ok due to low numbers. But in general i think they are not holding anyones attention. But I have very little razor.

WaxHeaven

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
The worst thing Razor did (not counting controversies) is abandon baseball for non-sport cut autograph products. I love their cut auto releases but I think given some time they could have done really nice baseball brands.

I don't know if the move to non-sport is temporary or permanent but I'd love to see Razor do at least one real 2009 baseball release this year.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I have a bunch of Razor too.

I don't see much of an option say a player really makes it big.

The real tests will be Pedro Alvarez and Justin Smoak.

topprospectalert

Aug 7, 2008
I'm a razor hater but really like the letterman product. Can't say the same about anything else however. Still think there is a bit of hope but you hate to see them selling at or below the level of tri-star. Ouch.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
sheetskout said:

What will make P.Alvarez & J.Smoak anymore of a real test than Matusz was? Matusz's SV's were "smoking" after his first MLB game & he has USA/Razor's just as Smoak & Alvarez do...So how are they any different?

The only Razor prospect's I would consider holding are those who do not have any UD/USA auto's (Castro, E.Martin, C.Kelly, Y.Alonso, & I know I'm missing someone :? )....otherwise the masse's are going to buy the UD USA's over the Razor if/when the prospect gets hot! :D

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
HoustonTeams4Me said:
sheetskout said:

What will make P.Alvarez & J.Smoak anymore of a real test than Matusz was? Matusz's SV's were "smoking" after his first MLB game & he has USA/Razor's just as Smoak & Alvarez do...So how are they any different?

The only Razor prospect's I would consider holding are those who do not have any UD/USA auto's (Castro, E.Martin, C.Kelly, Y.Alonso, & I know I'm missing someone :? )....otherwise the masse's are going to buy the UD USA's over the Razor if/when the prospect gets hot! :D

Alonso and Weeks are the two I'm collecting. Kelly and Westmoreland could also do well. I think the real test will be in a year or two when one of the sleepers hits it big

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
mredsox89 said:
[I think the real test will be in a year or two when one of the sleepers hits it big

With all due respect, I think a few of you might be missing the boat here. In this hobby people don't buy the player, they buy the brand. If razor is shunned as a brand, it won't matter. If the hype isn't there the demand will not be there either. Prices don't rise themselves, they rise as a result of people reaching into their pockets. Despite thier slow starts, watch what a few of the UD & Topps auto rc's that are about to come out sell for. They will be out of this world.

Members online

Latest posts