Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So what do you expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

card-treasury

Aug 11, 2008
What is on the horizon for cards of this year's top picks and previously signed players who have not had a major card yet?

yankeeshater

Aug 7, 2008
BowmanChromeAddict said:
card-treasury said:
hofmichael said:
My guess is cards
Figures. Anyone that knows what I am talking about, that is?

Are we supposed to be postulating whether Razor and McWilliams' Money are going to be playing with exclusive contracts again?

I certainly hope not. I'd rather see 09 BDP/10 BC cards of these guys than more Razor stuff.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
We may see some exclusive autograph contracts, but it's extremely doubtful that there will be any exclusive image rights deals. Razor's first year experiment did not work well on any level outside of intrigue. They have roughly 100 exclusive autograph contracts that have little value looking forward with the exception perhaps of the Wieters deal which was different (although he needs to start producing seriously before they see the value in that deal).

Therefore, I would expect Topps/Bowman to have the ability to make cards of virtually every draft pick. Now, whether or not they can make those deals happen is another story.

card-treasury

Aug 11, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
We may see some exclusive autograph contracts, but it's extremely doubtful that there will be any exclusive image rights deals. Razor's first year experiment did not work well on any level outside of intrigue. They have roughly 100 exclusive autograph contracts that have little value looking forward with the exception perhaps of the Wieters deal which was different (although he needs to start producing seriously before they see the value in that deal).

Therefore, I would expect Topps/Bowman to have the ability to make cards of virtually every draft pick. Now, whether or not they can make those deals happen is another story.
I would love to see guys like Ackley, Tate, Strasburg, etc. as the auto checklist in draft this year. After what happened last year, I am not sure what to expect.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Brian Gray told me that it's unlikely that any draft picks will be signed to exclusives this year.

He also told me he wants to compensate for this by cutting the overall print run drastically in his upcoming draft product.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Who is to say Upper Deck won't sign exclusives? They have no MLB deal, so don't need their rules.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
beefycheddar said:
Who is to say Upper Deck won't sign exclusives? They have no MLB deal, so don't need their rules.

+10,000. I'll keep praying for an SP Prospect product or high end Exquisitesque prospect product with a few HOF'ers mixed in.

Hopefully UD puts the pressure on Topps to produce a quality checklist by making a quality prospect product themselves.

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
yankeeshater said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:
card-treasury said:
hofmichael said:
My guess is cards
Figures. Anyone that knows what I am talking about, that is?

Are we supposed to be postulating whether Razor and McWilliams' Money are going to be playing with exclusive contracts again?

I certainly hope not. I'd rather see 09 BDP/10 BC cards of these guys than more Razor stuff.

Completely agree, I am not a fan at all of razor. Let Bowman handle this stuff.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Jaypers said:
Brian Gray told me that it's unlikely that any draft picks will be signed to exclusives this year.

He also told me he wants to compensate for this by cutting the overall print run drastically in his upcoming draft product.

Why buy Razor when one can buy the same players in BDP or SP Prospects?

Well, I guess one is technically buying Razor when buying SP Prospects, but....

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
UD has a MLBPA deal

The MLBPA is the real stick in the mud when it comes to what UD can or cannot do. The MLB properties is less invasive.

My hope is that the MLBPA will loosen the strings on UD so that they can do what they need to do to turn a profit.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Keep in mind that Upper Deck's MLB license drops for the 2010 season, so perhaps they will throw up the middle finger and release a prospect product for late 2009 but I doubt it.

Also, the MLBPA is who always balked at having prospects in MLBPA products, not MLBP, so that doesn't help the cause for those of you who want an SP Prospects type of product.

Plus, let's not forget that there has been a lot of speculation surrounding Upper Deck's finances even before they lost the NBA license and MLB license. Who can say what their future holds?

The one entertaining thing is that people here still think a high end prospect product will sell...it won't. Prospectors are a small minority of the hobby and as Razor realized quickly, you can't bank your future on prospectors. Why would Upper Deck try it their way?

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
card-treasury said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

I would love to see guys like Ackley, Tate, Strasburg, etc. as the auto checklist in draft this year. After what happened last year, I am not sure what to expect.
I know a lot of big time prospects weren't in 08 bdp but chrome autos with posey, montero, g beckham, derek holland, flores, josh reddick (It was pretty good).

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Keep in mind that Upper Deck's MLB license drops for the 2010 season, so perhaps they will throw up the middle finger and release a prospect product for late 2009 but I doubt it.

Also, the MLBPA is who always balked at having prospects in MLBPA products, not MLBP, so that doesn't help the cause for those of you who want an SP Prospects type of product.

Plus, let's not forget that there has been a lot of speculation surrounding Upper Deck's finances even before they lost the NBA license and MLB license. Who can say what their future holds?

The one entertaining thing is that people here still think a high end prospect product will sell...it won't. Prospectors are a small minority of the hobby and as Razor realized quickly, you can't bank your future on prospectors. Why would Upper Deck try it their way?

So an Exquisite Baseball type product that is done exactly the same as basketball (veterans, hof'ers, and rookie prospects) would not sell? Prime Cuts seemed to due pretty well last year did it not?

Members online

Latest posts