Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for Hardcore player collectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunter48

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
just wondered how you sort your cards?

my Carlos Lee pc is growing rapidly, i put everything in top loaders and have a monster box ready, just wanna know if you separate au/gu/serial # or keep them all together?

lmk thansk
Frank

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Card in penny sleeve and toploader.

Monster box for toploaders. Cards are arranged by Manufacturer, Brand, Year Issued, then scarcity (for parallels). Base, then parallels (by scarcity - highest print run to lowest print run), then inserts.

So for me, I have all my Topps cards together. I start with regular Topps, sort all the cards as per above, then go onto the other Topps brands by the year released (Topps Finest, Topps Chrome, Topps Tek, Topps ______, etc.). Then I have Bowman, Donruss, Score, Pinnacle, Playoff, Score, Upper Deck, Skybox, Leaf, Studio, Pacific, Star, Broders, and Misc. sections.

Good system for me, I can find any card in minutes.

Phishmon23

Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA
I have two large 2-row shoe boxes for Autographs, and two large 2-row shoe boxes for Game-Used. Those four boxes are sorted by year.

As for the base/RC/insert cards, I have 4 or 5 large 2-row shoeboxes. The cards are sorted chronologically by manufacturer.

Autographs and GU are all in screw downs or one-touches. All insert/base/RC cards in in penny sleeve, top loader & team bag.

-Jason

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
I have a large collection of Cal Ripken Jr.
I have them in Years and Manufacturers...

I need to put all of the cards on record in a computer. Writing cards on paper is a PAIN in the ass... Don't have the time to do them myself.

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
excel_B said:
I have a large collection of Cal Ripken Jr.
I have them in Years and Manufacturers...

I need to put all of the cards on record in a computer. Writing cards on paper is a PAIN in the ass... Don't have the time to do them myself.

Have a bucket? :)

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
gracecollector said:

Monster box for toploaders. Cards are arranged by Manufacturer, Brand, Year Issued, then scarcity (for parallels). Base, then parallels (by scarcity - highest print run to lowest print run), then inserts.

Except I do not have base cards in toploaders (1999-2005, yet) when I get some extra cash I will invest in a couple cases of toploaders but the rest are organized like this as well.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
EricChavezCollector3 said:
gracecollector said:

Except I do not have base cards in toploaders (1999-2005, yet) when I get some extra cash I will invest in a couple cases of toploaders but the rest are organized like this as well.

Same here...Pretty much most of my base are in sheets and albums. The rest is similar to Gracecollector and EricChavezcollector3 :D

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Just wondering why none of you guys keep your cards in sheets? Is it for protection? It seems like 9 pocket sheets would be a much easier way to view them and keep them from getting out of order. Just curious?

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
gwynn5453l4u said:
Same here...Pretty much most of my base are in sheets and albums. The rest is similar to Gracecollector and EricChavezcollector3 :D

Sheets are so easy, but I can imagine why some people don't:
When I get new cards, and I want to keep them in order, you have to shuffle the cards around a little unless you leave blank spots for those cards (which I don't). Sliding in and out of sheets has better chance of damaging them. I have about 200-300 cards now that aren't in order for the fact that have a lot of rearranging to do!

ee10

Aug 14, 2008
Mt Sterling, KY
Mozzie22 said:
Just wondering why none of you guys keep your cards in sheets? Is it for protection? It seems like 9 pocket sheets would be a much easier way to view them and keep them from getting out of order. Just curious?

I keep all my base this way via Beckett order (then oddballs at the end). Higher end stuff go in a penny sleeve/toploader.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
Mozzie22 said:

I don't keep anything in sheets because it is easier to rearrange when I get new cards if all I have to do is insert a new toploader.

I keep all mine in chronological and alphabetical order by manufacturer.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
My cards are placed in penny sleeve and top loader (or screw down) then placed in box in how they appear in Beckett. Basically, chronological and then alphabetical order. Each box is labeled on the outside of what year(s) it is. I can find any card I own or don't own in seconds.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I have them sorted by Beckett order.. did that many years ago and I find it easier to figure out whenever they add cards to the recognized database just by going to their list and my cards in order by it. I have 2 monster boxes for the recognized cards all penny sleeved and toploader and a third monster box for all the non recognized and oversized cards.. all penny sleeved and toploadered as well.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
9-card sheets, ordered chronologically and alphabetically by brand. New cards are placed in sheets and the end and rearranged once a year.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I guess my question for the top loader guys is do you still take the cards out and look at them? It seems like it would be a hassle to not get them out of order. Is there a benefit other than for sorting? I have been considering taking my cards out of the albums but I love being able to just grab it and flip thru it. I do worry about damaging them by dropping the album though. Just curious.

jaderock

Jan 22, 2009
For me, all cards in penny sleeve and toploader. Cards are arranged by YEAR, Manufacturer, Brand, then scarcity. Base, parallels and inserts. Most years have their individual monster box.

Finally they all enter the bunker to cool off.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I keep all my base in penny sleeves. Everything else in penny sleeve + top loader + team bag. I like the 3 row monster boxes for everything.

Everything is by year and in alpha order by their Beckett designation.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
I guess my question for the top loader guys is do you still take the cards out and look at them? It seems like it would be a hassle to not get them out of order. Is there a benefit other than for sorting? I have been considering taking my cards out of the albums but I love being able to just grab it and flip thru it. I do worry about damaging them by dropping the album though. Just curious.

I still will flip through them occasionally. I usually do a yearly audit to make sure I have what my list says I do.

Members online

Latest posts