Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1998 Donruss crusade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
today I was at my local shop digging through the insert binders.. I come across a purple Jaret Wright #112.. I was looking in Beckett and they don't list anything past #100 so is this one of the unreleased cards? I have it in hand and looking for info on it.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
I had a topic on this from almost a year ago and doing a search says the topic doesn't exist.

Anyhow, gracecollector had a very good post on the Crusades...which cards were in the different products as well as which cards were prototypes and not meant to be inserted.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Philip J. Fry said:
I had a topic on this from almost a year ago and doing a search says the topic doesn't exist.

Anyhow, gracecollector had a very good post on the Crusades...which cards were in the different products as well as which cards were prototypes and not meant to be inserted.
gracecollector wrote:
Philip J. Fry wrote:
383astro wrote:
I guess I dont know much about the Crusades. I know the reds are #d to 25 but is there another reason these are hard to find or is it just because of the small print run? Were they inserted into packs or were they redemption?

They are hard to find because of the print run as well as collectors hoarding them and not selling them. They were inserted in packs, but remember, in 1998 even, cards were still over produced so finding a red Crusade was about as easy as finding a good girl in college.

Another element of why they are hard to find is that they were spread over 4 different products. There were 40 Crusades in Donruss, and 30 each in Donruss Update, Leaf, and Leaf Rookie & Stars. Grace was in Donruss Update, which most Update sets aren't as popular for collectors to crack as the main sets. May have contributed to why Grace had taken me so long to find. The less popular a set is, the more unopened boxes sit on shelves or in warehouses, or get dumped to liquidators that sell them in variety boxes or cheaply elsewhere, often ending up in kids hands instead of adult collectors that list on eBay. I remember finding 98 Donruss Update packs in variety boxes in the early to mid 2000's.

very interesting information. I am glad you finally got what you were looking for. I may have to be on the lookout for the Braves in that set. I think I will stick to the Green or Purple though.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
magicpapa said:
Philip J. Fry said:

gracecollector wrote:
Philip J. Fry wrote:
383astro wrote:
I guess I dont know much about the Crusades. I know the reds are #d to 25 but is there another reason these are hard to find or is it just because of the small print run? Were they inserted into packs or were they redemption?

They are hard to find because of the print run as well as collectors hoarding them and not selling them. They were inserted in packs, but remember, in 1998 even, cards were still over produced so finding a red Crusade was about as easy as finding a good girl in college.

Another element of why they are hard to find is that they were spread over 4 different products. There were 40 Crusades in Donruss, and 30 each in Donruss Update, Leaf, and Leaf Rookie & Stars. Grace was in Donruss Update, which most Update sets aren't as popular for collectors to crack as the main sets. May have contributed to why Grace had taken me so long to find. The less popular a set is, the more unopened boxes sit on shelves or in warehouses, or get dumped to liquidators that sell them in variety boxes or cheaply elsewhere, often ending up in kids hands instead of adult collectors that list on eBay. I remember finding 98 Donruss Update packs in variety boxes in the early to mid 2000's.

very interesting information. I am glad you finally got what you were looking for. I may have to be on the lookout for the Braves in that set. I think I will stick to the Green or Purple though.

Thanks for reposting Magic. Cards #1-#100 were distributed in Donruss, Donruss Update and Leaf. They are skip numbered across those sets, so it's not like numbers #1-40 are all in Donruss. However cards #101-#130 were all distributed in Leaf Rookies and Stars. So Jaret was found in that product.

Members online

Latest posts