Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you look for from a dealer at a card show?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcprosportsfan

Aug 23, 2009
Hey Guys,
Just looking to get some feedback on what you all look for from a dealer when you go to card shows. Thanks for the opinions!!

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
Several things. Knowledge of the product or cards that he's selling and not to act like a complete ****** with a chip on his shoulder, like he's the best thing since sliced bread and you can't live without his cards. I stopped going to shows years ago because of dealers with attitudes like that and well, Ebay.

lumm0x

May 23, 2009
Agreed. Attitude is the number 1 thing. If the guy is polite, respectful and even a little outgoing I will be glad to chat, shop and return. Any jerk sellers get passed by regardless of their product. I wouldn't even bother looking and for sure wouldn't spend a buck.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
That attitude is a big one for me. I've encountered a couple with less than stellar attitudes. I usually just walk away from pricks and buy from someone else.

Another turn-off is someone who knows little about sports or the stuff they're selling. During his first CY year I asked a dealer if he had any Johan Santana stuff and he replied "Who?! Who does he play for?" and this was at a show here in MN. ::facepalm::

dcprosportsfan

Aug 23, 2009
That sounds good guys and I completely agree with you all. Sports knowledge is huge and that is why I am big about only selling what I know which is primarily Washington, DC sports teams. I sell Redskins more then anything but by knowing not only the market but the team it makes sales easy.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I think ya might be selling yourself short? If the item's good & the price is right, I'll buy off a smacked-ss anytime. :lol:

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
thanks dc. I've been fortunate for my childhood hobby to have developed into my career. I'll never be rich but I sure enjoy it lol.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I look for dealers who don't have bad breath or stinky body odor.

Oh yah, if their only reference is a 1986 Beckett catalog, that helps too. I like dealers who have no clue what they have.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Obviously a dealer that has items I am looking for will get my attention.

Professionalism is one thing that many dealers overlook. IMO a lot of things are involved in a true PROFESSIONAL dealer.

1. Organization - A neat and organized set up tells customers you care about your product and also help the customer check your stuff out, quickly. People forget that at shows most people are simply window shopping, or looking for specific items. I can't stand looking at a display that has 4 different sports, graded and raw cards spanning 60 years all mixed up.

2. Attitude - Ex. I was at the National in Cleveland and was looking for ungraded vintage football to have graded at the show. One dealer had a virtual gold mine of great stuff and in very good condition, I was pumped and the brick of cash in my pocket started to burn a hole in my pocket. I asked if I could see a stack of cards and the dealer rolled his eyes and told his wife to help me. The stack contained around 10 cards and I asked if she could tell me was in the stack. She snapped, "here do it yourself" then shoved the cards at me, threw up her hands and went and sat down. I put 'em down and walked away. Her actions cost her and her husband a grand minimum probably much more.
At the same show I saw a dealer that had crap and I mean crap but their table was packed because the person behind the table had a smile, was talking to everyone that walked by, greeting people that came up and was having fun. Needless to say he was making sales one after another. People forget that ultimatly cards are supposed to be a fun hobby.

3. Knowledge - You don't have to be the sports card expert but at least know what is on your table.

dcprosportsfan

Aug 23, 2009
Sweetness: Great Answer; that is interesting about the guy who was outgoing and how well he was able to do with an inventory that was not as good as others.

cwells46

Aug 7, 2008
Pigeon Forge, TN
Personally the dealers that doesn't hassle me to death while looking at their stuff, has a better shot at my money than others....I like to take my time and look through stuff and not be constantly bothered by trivial questions. I understand they are just trying to find out what I am looking for and what I collect, but leave me alone and just let me look...If I have any questions for you I will ask :lol:

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
1. Somebody who doesn't pester me while I look. It's fine to ask if I need help, or to just chat with me about sports or cards. But I hate when a seller hovers over me in silence or starts playing the "check out this expensive card in the case" game. If it's in the case, I can see it for myself when I get there.

2. Bargain bins. I love nothing more than picking through a $1-$2 game used/auto box for the not so good former Miami Hurricanes. It's also nice to go through large bins of commons and low end, because things to slip by every now and again, and sometimes there are cards that were junk that are now good (ie Romo RC, Ryan Grant RC before)

3. Organization/Setup. I like a booth that is nicely organized and has a clean looking setup. I don't mind bins of low end stuff that's not sorted, and I don't expect the high end in the case to be sorted much either, but I do expect all sports to be together. I also expect things to be organized by player when you have a hometown team bin (which unfortunately is the Steelers around here, but I do look for Davenport and Orien Harris Steeler cards).

4. Don't try to swindle me. I know what I'm doing for the most part.

5. Don't let me see you trying to swindle other people, especially kids. Yea, if there's a grown ass man standing there and you can get a good deal out of him, that's business. If there's a 12 year old there seeing what he can get for his Montana RC his dad gave him, don't try to steal it from him. I have no problem going over to a kid and saying the dealer is screwing him over when I see it happen.

That about sums up my top 5 points of what I look for.

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
1. Someone who will actually acknowledge you, not just sit behind his table acting high and mighty while he breathes heavily.

2. Don't try to sell me everything. I know what I want and if you have it at a decent price, I'll buy it.

3. People who don't have prices on their stuff and leave their mom or girlfriend to watch their table who know nothing about cards. They'll just tell you oh you have to wait til he gets back.

4. Overpriced jackasses. I recently had a guy offer me a PSA 4 Montana RC for $120. ::facepalm::

Members online

Latest posts