Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Houston Astros fire manager Cecil Cooper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
95vr4 said:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10105396/Houston-Astros-fire-manager-Cecil-Cooper

Does the Astros has a future in the NL central?

I try not to be a stickler about grammar, but this sentence made me shudder.

As for the topic, I don't think you can blame Cooper for the Astros trevails; they haven't had much to work with over the past couple of seasons.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
They should have had a fire sale and called it a rebuilding year. Unfortunately Trevor was right all along...they aren't contenders. Next year will be rough as well. I think it was far from Cooper's fault, but he wasn't going to last anyways.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The bad part is...the astros have had a crap team for a few years now.They can fire as many managers as they want but until they get good pitching...the bleeding won't stop.Oh...and by good pitching...I don't mean these jokes that they call up from their farm system either.I am tired as hell of reading in the chronicle how we are supposed to be excited and supportive of a guy who gets called up when he had a 5.00 era in Double A Corpus and yet they want us to believe he's going to make an impact for the team?Closest one to be a good player was Bud Norris.A lot of these other jokers should just be given their pink slip and sent on their merry way.

Another key note...mark my words...if we don't get to the playoffs in 2010...Wade will be on his merry way as well.The guy knew we needed pitching and never did jack to acquire it.Then they release some guys who were good in Wolf and Wiggington because they said it would cost too much.Then...after that's all done they get some other crappy players(sorry Keppinger and Boone) and they end up spending the same amount (actually more I believe) anyways.The fact that these upper management personel get paid as much as they do yet they make really dumb decisions knowingly...scares the hell out of me.Its one thing to say hindsight is 20/20.Its another to knowingly do something dumb.Hell...you give my ******* $50,000 a year and I will spend every waking hour devoted to putting a better team together and most likely will accomplish it to boot.This is the key reason I have a hard time watching the decisions they make and chalking up my confusion to "Well...they are in charge so obviously they know more than me and it will probably be for the better anyways".I can't do that any more.Sorry.When you start feeling like you could do a better job(or knowing you could do a better job) than somebody in their position...it starts to piss you off.Badly.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
He gets swept this weekend by his former team,
and he watches his team single season RBI record get broken by Fielder in the process.
Then fired.
That's a depressing weekend for Cecil.

I'm not a Ken Macha fan, and if the Brewers decide to make another management change, I'd like to see Cecil Cooper dressed up as a Brewer again.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I am not an Astro fan, but have always liked Cooper as a player. He simply didn't have much to work with as a manager.

...and since society seems to view everything through the prism of racism...

Drayton McLane is an evil white devil and Cecil Cooper is an African American. Isn't this a "hate crime"?

(I do wish we had more players, managers, and owners who had Cooper's attitude.)

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Kevbo said:
He gets swept this weekend by his former team,
and he watches his team single season RBI record get broken by Fielder in the process.
Then fired.
That's a depressing weekend for Cecil.

I'm not a Ken Macha fan, and if the Brewers decide to make another management change, I'd like to see Cecil Cooper dressed up as a Brewer again.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. If Grampa Simpso--I mean Macha can't put the hammer down and keep this team together, I'd LOVE to see Coop with Milwaukee.

And yeah, tough weekend; but i still enjoyed it... :twisted:

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
The Astros must be a pretty classless organization. Why fire Cooper with barely two weeks left into the season? They never had a chance anyway.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
George K said:
The Astros must be a pretty classless organization. Why fire Cooper with barely two weeks left into the season? They never had a chance anyway.
I was thinking the same thing.
Why didn't they just wait until after the season, when it wouldn't have embarrassed Cooper so much?
The Astros have 0% chance of making the playoffs, so what's the purpose of firing him now?

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
The Brewers did the same thing with Yost, at about the same point in the season.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Anyone who would want Cooper as their manager hasn't watched much Astros baseball. The guy is an idiot. He has no clue how to handle a pitching staff or communicate with players. Throughout the season players were complaining to the media about how much they dislike him. I would bet my collection that Roy Oswalt told management either you get rid of him this winter or you get rid of me.

They should have fired him over a month ago but for some reason they waited.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Kevbo said:
The Brewers did the same thing with Yost, at about the same point in the season.

yeah, but that was to shake up a floundering, yet still playoff worthy, team. One could argue that it worked.

I have to agree that it was kind of a dick move by Houston. But not as big as when the Mets took Randolph all the way out to the west coast the **** can him :eek:

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
trevordchi said:
Anyone who would want Cooper as their manager hasn't watched much Astros baseball. The guy is an idiot. He has no clue how to handle a pitching staff or communicate with players. Throughout the season players were complaining to the media about how much they dislike him. I would bet my collection that Roy Oswalt told management either you get rid of him this winter or you get rid of me.

Psh. Over a year ago. Cooper is one of the worst managers I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing. I just wish he had been doing it for the Cards instead of us. Does anyone else remember the two weeks he ordered the players to steal second if they got on first? No matter who it was. Watching pitchers throw Berkman out at second every time he got a single was just painful.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Oswalt is getting older and more inconsistant. Wandy isn't a #1. Berkman is injury plagued. J.R. Towles and whatever other catching prospects they call up or have aren't panning out (and Castro isn't MLB ready yet).

I like Pence, but he's too inconsistant as well and doesn't have a ton around him. I say fire sale and get what you can for Berkman / Valverde / Oswalt. Flounder for a couple years and hope that the prospects come up for you, in your favor.

Still amazes me that managers will get fired with two weeks left. Especially when the team is dead to rights and just riding out the season ...

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
trevordchi said:

EXCATLY! He's been junk since day 1 & I'm a very happy camper to see him go! The rumbling's I've heard have included Tommy Lasorda (not sure that would be a good idea..but I guess anything is better than Cooper :D ). We do need pitching, Bud Norris has been a light at the end of the tunnel but he's not "the answer". I agree that Deshase (SP?) could work out (as said before, anyone would be better than Cooper). Very glad we've taken another step in the right direction (canning Cooper's bum arse)! :D

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
trevordchi said:

EXCATLY! He's been junk since day 1 & I'm a very happy camper to see him go! The rumbling's I've heard have included Tommy Lasorda (not sure that would be a good idea..but I guess anything is better than Cooper :D ). We do need pitching, Bud Norris has been a light at the end of the tunnel but he's not "the answer". I agree that Deshase (SP?) could work out (as said before, anyone would be better than Cooper). Very glad we've taken another step in the right direction (canning Cooper's bum arse)! :D

Between you guys and Therion...I am not sure I can totally agree.I think Cooper may have had trouble lighting a fire under their ass but I also have to wonder why a team with Berkman and Oswalt on it would even need that.Plus...like I said...where was the pitching?Where were we going without that.If Oswalt wants to be a baby because the manager said something to him...oh well.He better turn his ass around and worry about his performance and health.Last time I checked we had a guy who on any other team would be a number 4 starter that is pitching way better than him.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
predatorkj said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:
trevordchi said:

Between you guys and Therion...I am not sure I can totally agree.I think Cooper may have had trouble lighting a fire under their ass but I also have to wonder why a team with Berkman and Oswalt on it would even need that.Plus...like I said...where was the pitching?Where were we going without that.If Oswalt wants to be a baby because the manager said something to him...oh well.He better turn his ass around and worry about his performance and health.Last time I checked we had a guy who on any other team would be a number 4 starter that is pitching way better than him.

I'm not saying McLane and Wade are blameless but that hardly justifies Cooper's mindbogglingly bad management skills. Somebody please call Larry Dierker, appologize, and bring him back.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
predatorkj said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:
trevordchi said:

I think he should get fired for destroying Geoff Geary and Chris Sampson. You can't throw relievers 5 days a week and expect them to hold up. His salary for next year should go to those two. He probably ruined their careers.

Members online

Latest posts