Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What to do when condition of a card doesn't match scan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
[ebay:3pgj0ika]160363202521[/ebay:3pgj0ika]

Won this auction for about market value of that card. Seller shipped quickly, but when I got the card, it had what appears to be a manufacturing defect on the left side which was not visible in the eBay scan and also not mentioned in the description.

I asked the seller about what he might be able to do since there was virtually no way to know that there was any sort of mark on the card and he said he didn't notice anything wrong with the card or see any marks in his scan and asked me what my thoughts were on the situation.

I've never had this happen before, so I'm not exactly sure what my thoughts are on it. I probably wouldn't have bid at all if I had known there was a blemish on the card since I will have to note this if I sell it in the future. But now that it's in hand, I think I'd rather just keep it instead of worrying about returning it.

Any thoughts or ideas? Below is my scan of the card which pretty clearly shows the mark on the left side of the card.

MorrisonRefAu15.jpg

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Tough call...I think you've got three options:

1. Show the seller the scan and ask if he'll give a full refund if you return the card.

2. Work out a deal, explaining that the card is technically damaged and see if he'll give you a partial refund.

3. Forget it, and just keep the card, realizing it may not be worth the trouble.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
justinmandawg said:
Got the scan of the card in the auction?

Can't copy eBay images anymore I don't think, but the link to the auction is in the first post. It's a gang scan but it's pretty clearly not there as far as I can tell.

And for the record, the serial numbering on the back of the card and his description match.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
I saved the horrible gang scan, enlarged it, and it shows nothing in that spot via picasa 3 and microsoft. If it cannot be cleaned off, I'd probably say something.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
justinmandawg said:
I saved the horrible gang scan, enlarged it, and it shows nothing in that spot via picasa 3 and microsoft. If it cannot be cleaned off, I'd probably say something.

I didn't see anything either. Could it be rough handling by USPS?

Alex

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I think the reason it didn't show up in his group scan was that some scanners make a weird pattern when scanning cards, so it got covered up.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
I know this is a dumb question, and I promise, I am not questioning your intelligence...I only ask since the card appears to be in the same top loader you received it in (I assume because of the tape).

Have you taken the card out of the top loader yet? Are you sure it's on the card and not the top loader??

Again, just trying to cover all bases :)

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Sly said:
I know this is a dumb question, and I promise, I am not questioning your intelligence...I only ask since the card appears to be in the same top loader you received it in (I assume because of the tape).

Have you taken the card out of the top loader yet? Are you sure it's on the card and not the top loader??

Again, just trying to cover all bases :)

Haha yeah I pulled it out and checked it and even tried to wipe it off with one of those microfiber cloths but it didn't come off at all and I'm thinking it's definitely a manufacturing defect.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Just a thought, but what about calling Topps to see if they'll give you an exact replacement?

I'm sure the seller didn't think there was anything wrong with it, as it was a manufacturer's defect that he might have overlooked. That way, he gets his money, and you'll get a card to your liking.

Members online

Latest posts