Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most Popular Player since Mantle

Your opinion ?

• Griffey most popular since Mantle no one will surpass him

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
I "think", but maybe wrong, that most people concur that Griffey is probably the most popular player since Mickey Mantle (others may contend Ripken, Nolan, Pujols?)
Anyway, my question is do you think Jeter can surpass Griffey in the coming years as the most popular player since Mickey?

Edit to add - I am not just saying currently most popular, I mean for all time.

If you DON'T THNK GRIFFEY IS MOST POPULAR SINCE MANTLE, PLEASE NAME WHO YOU THINK IS?!

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Griffey, Jeter, and Frank Thomas are the top 3 imo, and that's probably the order I would put them in. Pujols will get there over the next few years.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I would definitely put ripken up there near the top. I would have added thomas i the mid to late 90's but I do not think he compares to the others now.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
If it has to be someone who is playing now, I'd call it a toss-up between Jeter and Griffey. However, Don Mattingly reached a level of popularity in the late 80's - early 90's no one has seen since.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Ripken, Ryan, Griffey, Pujols, with Pujols possibly surpassing all 3 by the time he retires (if he's clean and keeps at his present pace).

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Griffey is the most popular since Mantle I agree...and some young player or Albert Pujols may one day surpass him...BUT...the fan base for baseball and the youth interest in collecting limits the possibilities greatly. There will certainly be "better" players than Griffey to come and go, but his popularity will be hard to surpass.

Jeter is popular because he's a Yankee, otherwise he'd just be well liked.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Probably Pujols one day, but Ripken. He was like the embodiement of everything you liked about good baseball movies.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
I don't know if I think Jeter will surpass him. I can't think of anyone who doesn't like Griffey. There are quite a few people just on these boards who don't like Jeter.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
All options suck! Griffey and Mantle are 2 of the most overhyped plaers ever! Pujols, Ichiro and Jeter are more legit popular players.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
bodiaz said:
All options suck! Griffey and Mantle are 2 of the most overhyped plaers ever! Pujols, Ichiro and Jeter are more legit popular players.

wow, that a stretching comment

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
Do not get me wrong, Griffey and Mantle had as much talent as anyone ever! Both got by on their natrual talent as long as they could, but neither put in the work that real studs put in, and their bodies broke down because of it. Mantle was to busy gettign drunk, and Griffey was just to lazy to work out. That is why you will never see his name on a PED list, wouldn't have helped him anyway! Both skated on talent, and both paid the price physically.

Members online

Latest posts