Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1996 Select Certified vs 1998 Donruss Crusade

1998 Donruss Crusade vs 1996 Select Certified Mirrors

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
With all the talk about the 98 Crusades recently I thought about another card(s) from the 90's that seems to be a problem for collectors. I was wondering which cards do you find more aesthetically pleasing, the 1998 Crusades or the 1996 Select Certified Mirrors? The print runs are very similar.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
1996 Select Certified!

Personally I own a complete masters set base through Mirror Gold and it is one of my favorite sets.
I agree the design and reflection is nice on the Crusades but the mirrors are better imho.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I personally don't get the appeal of the Crusades. That being said, I've never actually held one but the scans leave a lot to be desired IMHO. By no means do I think they are ugly but I find the Mirrors to be very appealing. I chose these two because they do have similar print runs and always seem to cause quite a stir when that rare hoard pops up on the Bay.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
If anyone has all three of each I would love to see them posted side by side. I'm guessing at least one person has all the Crusades and all the Mirrors of their player.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Mozzie22 said:
If anyone has all three of each I would love to see them posted side by side. I'm guessing at least one person has all the Crusades and all the Mirrors of their player.

The fact is the Crusades are much for shiny and reflective.

I will see if I can work up a scan or someone

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I have a few of these mirrors and a pile of Crusades, I think the Crusades are much nicer and cleaner/crisper if you will.

I think the '97 mirrors look nicer than the '96s. The '97 mirror gold teams probably look the best, followed by '97 Certified Platinum Golds.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
sig2.jpg

Sig has the Crusades. (Sorry, Tony was only in the 1997 set for the Mirrors.)

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Philip J. Fry said:
sig2.jpg

Sig has the Crusades. (Sorry, Tony was only in the 1997 set for the Mirrors.)

Nice Clarks! The 1996 Mirrors are too different from the 97's and much nicer. I bet Brad has all the Mark Grace cards or maybe someone has the Will Clarks.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I think they're both amazing sets, but since Puckett was in 96 Select Certified and not Crusades, I'm biased towards what I've got. Have them all but gold.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Terrible scans on the mirrors since they are taken inside a screwdown with a team bag so you can't see how good they look. You really can't go wrong with either of these. Both sets are absolutely incredible. This poll should end in a tie. I voted for the mirros since the print runs are much, much lower across the board.
mirror.jpg
mirror2.jpg
mirror3.jpg
crusade4.jpg
crusade6.jpg
crusade.jpg

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
gracecollector said:
96SCORESELECTCERTMRRED.jpg96SCORESELECTCERTMIRRORBLUE.jpg96SCORESELECTMIRRORGOLD.jpg

VS.

98DONRUSSCRUSADEGRN1.jpg98DONRUSSCRUSADEPUR1.jpg98DONRUSSCRUSADERED1.jpg

Crusade by a landslide in my opinion.

I knew you'd come thru. Now that they are posted next to each other it only strengthens my feeling that the Mirror cards are head and shoulders above the Crusades. I realize they are called the "Crusades," but that hokey emblem or what ever that is just looks odd. You have 6 cards there that player collectors would kill for...congrats! :shock:

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I went with crusades....Don't like the select; then again I don't like the non-CTA crusades either.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I think for me this might be an example of scans not doing justice for the Crusades. I know how good the Mirrors look in person and they just aren't coming across as nice in scan. I think it is probably the same with the Crusades in hand.

Members online

Latest posts