Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ANYONE PLEASE Tell me what this card is!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
There are quite a few new members since I posted this a year or so ago, so I'll put it out there again.
It's a buyback, but it has the laser etched UD Bonus on it like no other buyback. It is not hand serial #'d like "normal" buybacks.

I have had it for a few years. Can anyone help?
DSCN1585.jpg
DSCN1586.jpg

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
Don't remember what year, but ud did buybacks of cards differently and laser etched UD Bonus into them for one year/series. This is one of those cards.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
A Reggie Sanders Auto?
Or maybe this? 1997 SP Vintage Autographs #13 Tony Gwynn 93/ 17

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Roy Birchler said:
That is strange. The UD Bonus cards were in 2003. There was no Gwynn in the series. The COA & sticker are from 97 SP, but if it a 97 SP card it should be numbered to 17.

THat's right. I did not know it was 2003, so I found a different card on Ebay and it had this info:
Set Information
Upper Deck UD Bonus
Inserted into second series packs at a stated rate of one in 288, these are copies of various recent year Upper Deck cards which were repurchased for insertion in 2003 Upper Deck 2nd series. Please note that these cards were all stamped with a "UD Bonus" logo. Each of these cards were issued to differening print runs and we have notated the print runs next to the player's name in our checklist.

Even if, in 2003, they "Bought back" a 1997 Buyback, it should have the hand numbering on it!

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
the bonus had their own type of coa cards too, maybe they differed from the auto ones tho
udbonus.jpg

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
At one point, UD made it's own "buyback" autos; not for pack-insertion - but to give out to people who were "waiting on a redemption" or needed a litle bonus because they thought they got cheated with a replacement -

Is this one of those?

Roy Birchler

Aug 7, 2008
Northern California
gwynn5453l4u said:
Roy Birchler said:
That is strange. The UD Bonus cards were in 2003. There was no Gwynn in the series. The COA & sticker are from 97 SP, but if it a 97 SP card it should be numbered to 17.

THat's right. I did not know it was 2003, so I found a different card on Ebay and it had this info:
Set Information
Upper Deck UD Bonus
Inserted into second series packs at a stated rate of one in 288, these are copies of various recent year Upper Deck cards which were repurchased for insertion in 2003 Upper Deck 2nd series. Please note that these cards were all stamped with a "UD Bonus" logo. Each of these cards were issued to differening print runs and we have notated the print runs next to the player's name in our checklist.

Even if, in 2003, they "Bought back" a 1997 Buyback, it should have the hand numbering on it!

It is probably one that was never inserted in packs and left on the shelf unnumbered. There are a lot of the 97 buybacks floating around unnumbered that somehow got out of UD. The strange part that Gwynn is not in the 2003 checklist.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Cmixer- That may be the best answer... I would say that takes away from the value of the card, being a replacement, but the fact it has that UD Bonus on it helps a little!

Pine Tar- A few years ago, I spent a few days on the phone with different people at Upper Deck, most of the time being on hold (two hours and 10 minutes on one stretch) but they could not give me new information. Of the 5 people I talked to, they all said it was authentic, based on the hologram, but none could give me info on how it was dispersed...

numberonemetsfan- It says on the back of the card that he wore it in a spring training game. I don't remember it, and don't know why.

Members online

Latest posts