Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 Donruss Limited Exposure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
[ebay:1oobn6dp]370290008461[/ebay:1oobn6dp]

That's just 1 of the many auctions wolverine24 has of that card (Tony Clark/Mark McGwire Limited Exposure).

My question is not about wolverine24, but how are these cards popping up all of a sudden? In the last 2 weeks alone, I've seen this card pop up a dozen or so times, and I was wondering if there was a print run on these? I'm guessing back-doored or something, but want to see what the other members thought.

It's amazing too, I don't think I've seen this card sell for less than $5 each time, either.

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
Philip J. Fry said:
[ebay:c1sexhss]370290008461[/ebay:c1sexhss]

That's just 1 of the many auctions wolverine24 has of that card (Tony Clark/Mark McGwire Limited Exposure).

My question is not about wolverine24, but how are these cards popping up all of a sudden? In the last 2 weeks alone, I've seen this card pop up a dozen or so times, and I was wondering if there was a print run on these? I'm guessing back-doored or something, but want to see what the other members thought.

It's amazing too, I don't think I've seen this card sell for less than $5 each time, either.

The Star Factor limited exposure cards were the limited print runs. Less than 40 sets were made. As far as auctions from wolverine24 I believe a lot of his auctions are shilled and re-listed.

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
I've noticed the same thing with Walker, up until about a month ago I'd never seen one. Wolverine has put about 7 or 8 of them up now. According to Beckett there were only 40 of these printed, but other board members have said that they strongly feel that is wrong. Hopefully some of them will post.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Wolverine had a stack of these in their $1.00 insert box at rosemont this weekend.

There was (5) of the bernie williams and tino martinez dual. I didn't know if they were worth anything or not.

Skrip

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Bornagaincollector said:
The starfactor limited exposure have to have a print of more then 40.I have 4 Albert Belles.

This is a confounding issue. I hear about (and see) so many of some players get listed; however, Frank Thomas Star Factors continue to be a difficult issue that most Thomas collectors do not have.

I have 2 of the Thomas Star Factors, off-eBay, but have only seen 1 on eBay in a very long time.

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
there were different levels of scarcity. counterparts were the most common, then double team, followed by unlimited potential & finally the star factors.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Thanks all. The one I have, has a refractor line on both sides and I want to get another, but wasn't sure about these since they popped up all of a sudden.

I've never had an issue with wolverine24 in the past but with him using a stock image, it's hard to say if the one I get will have that line, or even be in nm/mt condition on top of that. The bad part is, the one I have now I got in a lot of 250+ cards last year for like $3.00 dlvd and it's hard for me to pay $7+ on the same card again. Who knows, I may just bite the bullet.

97donlimexp.jpg

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The original print run is 40 for the Star Factors. I believe the ones from wolverine24 are back-doored versions. They are the same card, but most likely were meant to be replacements for pack damaged cards and were sold to someone after the company went out of business. So however many there are, they are in addition to the original 40 print run. I wouldn't think that they would make more replacements than cards inserted, so even with an estimated print run of 80 or less, these are steals at these prices. I have been buying as many as I can for future sale.

Donutme

Aug 9, 2008
California
This guy has a TON of my player too ...

Roger Clemens - Mirror Red , Mirror Gold .... and these Exposures are out of control .... they have to be backdoored ...

Use Clemens ... closed auctions ... current ... it is unreal ... I think he has more of this player than anyone .... No way print runs are right now ... he has flooded the market ...

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Donutme said:
This guy has a TON of my player too ...

Roger Clemens - Mirror Red , Mirror Gold .... and these Exposures are out of control .... they have to be backdoored ...

Use Clemens ... closed auctions ... current ... it is unreal ... I think he has more of this player than anyone .... No way print runs are right now ... he has flooded the market ...
Don't know how many STAR FACTORS versions he's listed of everyones guys, but he's listed about 20 of the Ripken/Rolen Star Potential over the last 3 weeks, which I did snag one. Of course those aren't "/40". Only the STAR FACTORS are limited.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
This is the old Dave and Adams inventory. D&A got them when Pinnacle (or whatever they were called in 1998) went under.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Sorry, I should have clarified these are not Star Factors. I didn't know if these were limited or not since I've never seen them pop up until recently like this.

Makes sense that they were backdoored, but man they're just as nice as the Crusades (the Limited Exposure, that is).

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
Philip J. Fry said:
Sorry, I should have clarified these are not Star Factors. I didn't know if these were limited or not since I've never seen them pop up until recently like this.

Makes sense that they were backdoored, but man they're just as nice as the Crusades (the Limited Exposure, that is).

Not 100% sure but I think its the same technology used on the crusades.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I think Wolverine listed 7-8 Manny's over the past month or so, as I won 3 myself and I don't think we accounted for all of them between us.

After receiving mine form them- I do have a new theory about the distribution of these cards: I think that early production had lots of refractor type lines on the cards. SO I think they probably had to refine the production process so that the big $ insert in their packs didn't look like crap when you pulled one. Then, long after pack out the original batches with the lines thst did not get packed out were not destroyed and were eventually leaked into the market by employees or the company at bankruptcy or whatever. This would explain how cards held their value and were rare initially, but also why they made so many extra and now there are batches of certain players surfacing. I have 5 or 6 Manny's and they all have lines on the surface.
So does anyone have one that they believe was pack pulled and does it have any lines on the surface?

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
carrsallstars said:
I think Wolverine listed 7-8 Manny's over the past month or so, as I won 3 myself and I don't think we accounted for all of them between us.

After receiving mine form them- I do have a new theory about the distribution of these cards: I think that early production had lots of refractor type lines on the cards. SO I think they probably had to refine the production process so that the big $ insert in their packs didn't look like crap when you pulled one. Then, long after pack out the original batches with the lines thst did not get packed out were not destroyed and were eventually leaked into the market by employees or the company at bankruptcy or whatever. This would explain how cards held their value and were rare initially, but also why they made so many extra and now there are batches of certain players surfacing. I have 5 or 6 Manny's and they all have lines on the surface.
So does anyone have one that they believe was pack pulled and does it have any lines on the surface?

I noticed the lines too, which suck for grading. My hope was to get a BGS 9 or higher grade on one of them.

Not happening now. Bummer.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Yeah I sent one in to PSA that was gem mint except for the line in the front....PSA 8. ;( Now all the others I've picked up have lines which is what got me thinking...

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I bought a frank thomas/derrek lee from wolverine that has a line on the lee side. It's probably the toughest line to spot on a card I've ever seen.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts