Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ironic card stories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Looking for some ironic card stories from you all.

Few of mine:

Ex distributor used to get dinged up boxes which he would sell really cheap.
1. Before 2007 BC came out, I told him Id have interest in some to open, especially since Joba was blazing at that time.

He responded with "what if you get a Joba and its all banged up" to which I replied "Please oh please let me pull a dinged Joba". Figured I could send it back for replacement.

Boxes come to his warehouse, pick them up and in the very first pack I opened there I pulled a Joba X auto. Nearly fell off my seat. Yes, card had a dinged corner.

2. Just yesterday, customer came in telling me how he saw some guy pull a Shin So Choo jersey from Sweet Spot. So he bought a pack and you know who he got.

3. Then, he bought a pack of Absolute FB, paused, and said "Matthew Stafford auto". Inside the pack was a Stafford auto triple GU card.

4. In 2002, I opened a box of Topps 206 and when I got to the Sosa mini card, kiddingly, I said to a customer "Polar Bear" (or whatever was the mega rare back) before I flipped it over and it was.

5. Few months ago, customer was down to his last packs of SPX FB and he asked me, again kiddingly, do I think he will get has a Shadow Box card (one per case) to which I replied, "yes, Favre". Inside was a Favre.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
I made a ton of money on alex gordon. 5 figures only to spend that same money buying gold refs and some other highend parallels and lost it all back when they plummeted.

rain on your wedding day

free right when you're already late

good advice i didn't take

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Nice stories.

The best I've got is that I lost a Rick Porcello Triple Threads Red auto/triple gu on ebay the night before the box of TTT I ordered arrived and I pulled the exact card myself. Pretty cool experience, I was pumped.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I had attended my first ever card show back in 2005 in midtown Manhattan. I was in the city that morning for college interviews so I hadn't planned on going to the show but when my lunch schedule became open, I made a quick stop since it was a few blocks over. The midtown show was small, only 20-25 dealers so I could stop by on my extended lunch break.

After the first few tables, I came across a lady who had some really nice cards. After a few minutes I picked out 4 Yankee cards:

2005 Topps Chrome Black Refractor Rivera
2005 Finest Black Refractor Paul O'Neill
2003 Pristine Robinson Cano Uncommon Refractor RC
2003 Pristine Robinson Cano Common RC

I asked her for a price, and she wanted $5 for the lot. That was lucky for me, that was nearly all the spare cash I had minus subway/bus fare. As I was making my way towards the exit, I spotted a dealer selling an O'Neill 2004 Donruss Rookie Buyback Auto /21. I really wanted the card, but didn't have the cash. I regrettably passed up on the card for only $50.

Well, fast forward to three years later. I was finally able to work out a trade for that O'Neill auto. This card is super tough to find since it is a buyback RC auto with only 21 copies. The only two cards I traded for the O'Neill were the two Cano rookies I picked up that day at the show when I had passed up on this auto. It's funny how things work out.

Thanks to an awesome trader (Mike) I now have this in my PC.

img022.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The closest I have come is when I opened my first box of basketball after getting back in.I was really worried I'd get a nice card of somebody I hadn't even heard of since I had been out from collecting for so long.I was hoping for a Rocket player and a good one.What do you know?I pull an Olajuwon GU/auto.Good stuff!

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Pred- I would imagine that you knew that name.

My story- I used to be a big Sprewell collector (yeah, the coach choker). Anyways, I was set up at a show and a guy was opening up some Topps Chrome and I said "hey, if you pull a Sprewell Refractor, are you gonna give it to me". The next pack, the Sprewell refractor.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
weirdest story I can think of happened 2 years ago on Xmas. My brother was a huge Jeremy SHockey fan. He worte on his christmas list he wanted a Jeremy Shockey jersey card. My aunt had bought him a retail box from Modells of some football product(cant for the life of me remember which box) and inside his box was a Jeremy Shocky Game used card.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
5 1/2 years ago i order a case of ultimate collection basketball, lebrons rookie year, from blowout on a monday.
wed comes and it doesnt show up, i call chris and he says he effed up, made a shipping mistake somehow,
and that he could overnite we one from ny. case came on thursday, 1st box, 1st pack, got the jordan logoman 1/1 auto.
i can honestly say that was the last good thing to happen to me cardwise and just about anything else wise.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
justinmandawg said:
I made a ton of money on alex gordon. 5 figures only to spend that same money buying gold refs and some other highend parallels and lost it all back when they plummeted.

rain on your wedding day

free *right when you're already late

good advice i didn't take

*ride

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I pulled this card in 2003. In the only pack of Signature that I bought.

quad.jpg

quad1.jpg

Sold it a few days later for $525.

I really regretted selling it and two years later I just happened to see it again (same serial number and everything) on Ebay and I bought it back for under $300. :)

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
A black fly in my chardonnay

he won the lottery, and died the next day

I once suckered a card dealer into buying a 2005 bowman chrome Ryan Braun gold refractor auto at over ebay price in spring 2007, telling him that bowman chrome stuff was on fire and this guy had huge potential.

It is ironic that he actually panned out and was the hottest card on the market later that season.

I also once sold a Upper deck griffey rookie with a small surface indention to a dealer who didn't even look at the card and bought it. He graded it and got a PSA 10.

i have a yankees suck t shirt that i will wear to the card shop. i opened up 2 boxes of 04-04 leaf limited and in the first box was a yogi auto jersey /8 and the second box was a gary sheffield moniker... i refused having my photo taken with the cards and that is why i now select my own boxes!

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
This past Sunday I had 1/2 hr to kill before a social event, hit up a card show, i went in thinking i don't know if there could possibly be anything I would want to buy right now, except a nice condition 1957 Topps Hit Stars Buddy Holly card (yeah, pretty random). Just before I left I noticed a small stack of 1957 Topps Hit Stars cards, found a nice Buddy Holly (don't think the dealer knew the card because it was marked as his bands name 'The Crickets'), asked how much, they said $13 (I had $13 in cash on me). On my way home I remembered I had a 'last ditch' option of a autograph card of my favorite player that was mis-signed (player started to sign then started again), I was thinking I would like to have had that card as well and maybe I would run into the dealer again. Searched Ebay tonight and the exact card is listed for $0.99 starting (would have cost me $12.50 at the show)... sometimes you just can't make this stuff up.

Pills

Aug 7, 2008
The only one I can really think of -

Back in way early 1996, I was getting back into collecting after being out for the last two years of college. Anyway, 95-96 Topps Finest basketball had just come out, and I was a little unsure about buying it (I'd never spent that much on a pack before - what was $7 back then?). The dealer was telling me about the mystery finest cards, and he showed me borderless card that he'd pulled from a previous box. He said something about there being a Michael Jordan in that set, and that the borderless refractor was going to be worth a LOT of money.

I bought three packs for $20. In the 3rd pack was the Jordan.

I still have it. It was worth $950 at some point, and I had given it to that dealer, who I became friendly with, to sell. Some guy offered $600 for it, and he didn't sell it - he told me that he wouldn't've sold it if it was his card for that price, anyway.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I remember back in 94 or 95 when Leaf was rockin out the cool inserts, I went to one of the local shops with my buddy to open a few packs. He ended up hitting a Leaf Heading to the Hall Frank Thomas Diecut which at the time I wanna say booked for over 100 bucks. Thomas and Griffey were the two hottest players on the planet and we were all clamoring for Thomas cards. Well I was insanely jealous at his good fortune and went away with nothing to show from the shop. Fast forward a few days later, I went to the other local shop in town and they were just packing out some of the new Leaf boxes. I had just a few bucks on me for a couple of packs. In my very first pack.....as I opened it I hoped for a Thomas diecut HFTH. Well, guess what? I hit the Thomas card! I was stoked!

I also had some luck with a pack of 98 Bowman Chrome Football. All the guys had ripped pack after pack and box after box in search of the Randy Moss RC. I had enough on me to buy one pack. I went out to the car and as my mom was getting ready to pull out of the parking lot, I hit the Moss! I went back in to show them my good fortune. They gave me a screwdown for my luck.

Most recently, I went to the shop to pick up some 08 SP Authentic Football. It was hot and I was hoping to land a nice Darren McFadden patch auto. Well I knew the box touted three hits per box on average and about half way through, I had three Rookie Authentics autos. I hit my first "thick" pack with a hit and set it aside. A few packs later, I hit another "thick" pack. In the first pack was a Chad Henne 1of1 NFL Logo shield patch auto. In the second pack was a D Mac patch auto RC! I had told the owner I was hoping to hit the D Mac and sure enough, I did!!!

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
While the Tulo Super was running live on eBay, Tulo, playing for the Tulsa Drillers was in town to play the Springfield Cardinals. I went to the game to get some IP autographs and while he was signing, my buddy tells him, "Hey, he's bidding on a $1,000 card of yours."

Tulo looks up at me and says, "I don't think I have a $1,000 card."

I said, "Yeah you do, its called a Superfractor and there is only one in the world."

He told me good luck and moved on.

I felt like the biggest dork on the face of the planet based on the bolded parts...

CISCOKID23

Aug 7, 2008
I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH A FEW YEARS BACK , WHEN THE "CAR" BIZ WAS GOING GOOD, TO HAVE SOME SPARE CASH TO OPEN UP MY OWN CARD SHOP. HAD PICKED UP SOME CASES OF 2004 FLEER LEGACY , FINALLY MADE IT TO THE SHOP AFTER A LONG DAY AT WORK. CRACKED THEM OPEN FOR SOME CUSTOMERS THAT WAITED AROUND THE SHOP THAT NIGHT. THEY TALKED ME INTO OPENING A BOX , WHICH I HATED TO OPEN BOXES WHEN THE SHOP WAS MINE. BUT I DID I WHAT DID I PULL....BEING A HUGE BROOKLYN DODGER ( HISTORY) FAN AND DODGER FAN.....

DSC00400.jpg
DSC00401.jpg

SIGNED BY JACKIE, CAMPPY, SNIDER, HODGES A TOTAL OF 19 PLAYERS...

ONLY THING I KEPT FROM WHEN I SOLD THE SHOP

Members online

Latest posts