Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gobble, gobble......Norman "Turkey" Stearnes Autograph!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
This was a pre-Thanksgiving purchase, somewhat ironic, that I think I got a GREAT deal on.

[center:1fj4wok7]TurkeyStearnesAuto.jpg[/center:1fj4wok7]

I have both a PSA Quick Opinion of "Likely Genuine" and some pretty decent provenance from the seller (indicated that the item was purchased in 1998 from a specific estate sale along with other fairly high-end sports memorabilia).

I will be sending to PSA for full authentication ASAP.

Here's the wiki entry for him-

Norman Thomas "Turkey" Stearnes (May 8, 1901 – September 4, 1979) was an African American center fielder in the ***** Leagues. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2000.

Born in Nashville, Tennessee, Stearnes acquired his nickname at an early age from his unusual running style. He began his career in professional baseball in 1921 with the Montgomery Grey Sox, then played for the Detroit Stars, beginning in 1923. In 1931, the Stars failed to pay Stearnes his salary because of the Great Depression, so he moved from team to team for the remainder of his career, retiring in 1942 as a member of the Kansas City Monarchs.

Stearnes is considered by some as one of the great all-around players in the history of baseball, but because of his race and his quiet personality, he never received the recognition that many believe he deserved. He batted over .400 three times and led the ***** Leagues in home runs seven times. He is credited with 183 home runs in his ***** League career, the all-time ***** League record, and fifty more than second-place Mule Suttles. Since ***** League seasons were very short, sometimes lasting fewer than thirty games, it is unclear how many home runs Stearnes might have hit in a 154-game major league season. The 165-pound Stearnes was a fast baserunner despite his awkward-looking running form, and was one of the best outfielders of his generation.

Stearnes' known career statistics include a .350 batting average, 172 home runs, 750 games, and a .664 slugging percentage.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Sean_C said:
Great pickup! Congrats!

Thanks Sean, I appreciate the congrats!!
hofmichael said:
If it is authentic then that is a tremendous addition to your collection.Congrats.
Mike
...I'm keeping my fingers crossed Mike....it's going off to PSA soon.
autocut said:
It's likely authentic, but the first name is definately different than the normal.
I researched this like crazy...I found a handful of completed auctions (from the big auction houses) and I found a couple formatted almost exactly like this one. None were spot on with name, team and date but darn close.

Seller also guaranteed this would pass PSA, though when push comes to shove who knows if that would be honored.

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
Wow. Tremendous pickup! I've always wanted a Stearnes sig. Mind if I ask what that set you back? PM if you want. If not, that's cool too. Congrats!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I am hoping it comes back as genuine.

There are some consistencies shown in the other examples that don't show up in yours, but it's one of those "close enough" situations where I would feel comfortable buying the one you bought.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Old Kentucky Shark said:
Wow. Tremendous pickup! I've always wanted a Stearnes sig. Mind if I ask what that set you back? PM if you want. If not, that's cool too. Congrats!

Thanks Jeff, best of luck with your ***** League collection!!

200lbhockeyplayer said:
I am hoping it comes back as genuine.

There are some consistencies shown in the other examples that don't show up in yours, but it's one of those "close enough" situations where I would feel comfortable buying the one you bought.

Thanks as well Mike, I am hoping as well ;) I'll keep you posted.

autocut

It's close. I think PSA/DNA should do a good job on this since they have Kevin Keating as a consultant (co-author of ***** Leagues Autograph Guide). It probably will pass, but if it doesn't, it's because of the "T", r,e,y in Turkey. Those are inconsistant from all the ones I've seen (even in the ***** Leagues Autograph guide).

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Here is mine for comparison. I did some research and got a psa/dna quick opinion and am pretty confident as to its authenticity.

Stearnes.jpg

Stearnes was not consistent with his lettering. I had a little trepidation with the S in his name on mine, as many others look different. Then I noticed the S in the team name, which is what I've seen more often. That's just the way it goes.

In other words, AWESOME PURCHASE SCOTT! A great addition to your collection.

Latest posts