Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

interesting holiday communications on ebay......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
"can I have a pic of this item?"

seller's response: I can only give pics after you purchase since I have 1000s of cards.

"nice card, let me know what bst offer we can do on this I can pay now"

seller's response: I accept paypal.

"nice card, let me know what bst offer we can do on this I can pay now"

seller's response: if you like it buy it.

'tis the season! :D

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
I still like the no repsonse at all tactic ::facepalm:: There's a card I would love to own. Tried to contact the seller 3 times, pretty much my limit before I say oh well. I went through the typical "maybe he's busy", "maybe he's away", now I conclude he just refuses to respond. It's been far too long.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
NYCrulesU said:
I still like the no repsonse at all tactic ::facepalm:: There's a card I would love to own. Tried to contact the seller 3 times, pretty much my limit before I say oh well. I went through the typical "maybe he's busy", "maybe he's away", now I conclude he just refuses to respond. It's been far too long.

Last December, I spotted a card I wanted with a BIN or best offer. I sent a best offer, and it expired. With it being the holidays, I figured they didn't have a chance to respond. I submitted another offer a few weeks later, expired again. Been in my watch list for a year now and it's still up with the original BIN. It's not a huge amount, but I figure after a year the price might have gone down a little.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
Philip J. Fry said:
NYCrulesU said:

Last December, I spotted a card I wanted with a BIN or best offer. I sent a best offer, and it expired. With it being the holidays, I figured they didn't have a chance to respond. I submitted another offer a few weeks later, expired again. Been in my watch list for a year now and it's still up with the original BIN. It's not a huge amount, but I figure after a year the price might have gone down a little.

Some sellers are more stubborn than smart.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Why do you ask what the best price they can do one the card? If the auction is a BIN only that is their best price, if it has a best offer make and offer, if it is an auction send them a price you would like to offer them to sell it outright. Sellers want to make money not give buyers a break.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
George_Calfas said:
Why do you ask what the best price they can do one the card? If the auction is a BIN only that is their best price, if it has a best offer make and offer, if it is an auction send them a price you would like to offer them to sell it outright. Sellers want to make money not give buyers a break.
This has worked for me in the past though, George. I have sent the seller offers on a straight BIN and had them accepted. :D

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
George_Calfas said:

They have a BIN/BO.

They have 3 offers that have expired and 2 declined. I don't think it is outrageous to ask the seller what they would take on an item to save everyone time......they want the price listed? Fine, just good to know so you aren't setting aside $ on an offer that never will even be looked at.

You might be stunned what people would take for items with a simple email, stunned.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
EricInCT said:
George_Calfas said:

They have a BIN/BO.

They have 3 offers that have expired and 2 declined. I don't think it is outrageous to ask the seller what they would take on an item to save everyone time......they want the price listed? Fine, just good to know so you aren't setting aside $ on an offer that never will even be looked at.

You might be stunned what people would take for items with a simple email, stunned.

Exactly. I ALWAYS make offers on items I want. It's business. You want X, I want to pay Y. Either you except my offer, we meet somewhere in the middle or we don't agree and I pass on the item. Pretty easy for me. I never overpay on items, it's only cardboard.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
chashawk said:
George_Calfas said:
This has worked for me in the past though, George. I have sent the seller offers on a straight BIN and had them accepted. :D

Yes, but you sent them an offer, not asking what the best price they could do.

Eric, if the offers expired or were declined they were too low, imho. I always prefer to make an offer, add the note and maybe email after the offer explaining why I made such an offer. Personally, I find it more likely to receive a counter offer when I take these steps.

THECARDFATHER

Dec 27, 2009
NYCrulesU said:
EricInCT said:
George_Calfas said:

They have a BIN/BO.

Exactly. I ALWAYS make offers on items I want. It's business. You want X, I want to pay Y. Either you except my offer, we meet somewhere in the middle or we don't agree and I pass on the item. Pretty easy for me. I never overpay on items, it's only cardboard.

I agree. Except, as a seller, if a buyer doesn't like my BIN price. Hit the BO and offer your best. Nothing worse than spending the time to answer an email saying you will accept a price to either never get an offer or worse get an offer even lower.
Make an offer through BO system if you want a deal. It takes no longer to go through BO than email.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
The scan/pic one baffles me a little. But to the other one, I wouldn't have responded, or told you to make an offer. If you are going to take the time to send someone an email about how much they would be willing to take, actually word it that way. Something to the affect of, "Hey I'm interested in this card, what kind of offers are you accepting on it. I wouldn't want to waste your or my time."

Or as mentioned earlier, just make an offer through the eBay system (if that is an option). Not all sellers are interested in making deals off of eBay, I know I never have.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
Dude, seriously you need to give up on ebay. At least a handful of times per month you are tied up in some ebay related drama. I think it is best that you just put down your mouse and walk away.

bigpops65

Feb 9, 2009
Providence, RI
muchuckwagon said:
Dude, seriously you need to give up on ebay. At least a handful of times per month you are tied up in some ebay related drama. I think it is best that you just put down your mouse and walk away.

+1

If there is a BO option, send your offer. Are you really "putting money aside" based on an offer? When people ask me "what would I take for item X" I say there is a best offer option, make YOUR best offer. My listed price is what I want. If the offer is reasonable, than I will consider it. How hard is that?

Members online

Latest posts