Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many of you have witnessed an athlete die?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I was at the game last night when University of Southern Indiana's Jeron Lewis dropped to the floor, started convulsing, and was taken away on a stretcher by ambulance. I found out this morning that he was pronounced dead shortly after the game. My heart and prayers go out to his family and USI. This sounds so much like what happened to Hank Gathers of Loyola Marymount

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/Southern-Indiana-Jeron-Lewis-autopsy-011510

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
That was certainly a very tragic event last night.

The only event I can say I witnessed (via TV) was when Dale Earnhardt died. I'm not a NASCAR fan, however I was living in Tulsa at the time and hanging out with my father-in-law.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
BowmanChromeAddict said:

The only event I can say I witnessed (via TV) was when Dale Earnhardt died. I'm not a NASCAR fan, however I was living in Tulsa at the time and hanging out with my father-in-law.
Oddly enough that was one of about 3 races I have ever seen.It was so strange because you see worse crashes every week on Sportscenter.
Mike

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Wow thats terrible

I remember seeing John McSherry, the umpire collapse on the field and later passed away that night. It really hit home because I had met him a few weeks prior and he was such a great guy but he was sweating like a madman on a cool summer night. I thought to myself that something was wrong with him because he was so overweight! Its sad anytime anyone passes but to die in such a public way makes it really hit home.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
hofmichael said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:

Oddly enough that was one of about 3 races I have ever seen.It was so strange because you see worse crashes every week on Sportscenter.
Mike

But the safety equipment used now was created post the Earnhardt crash, because of the Earnhardt crash.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
hofmichael said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:

Mike

But the safety equipment used now was created post the Earnhardt crash, because of the Earnhardt crash.

To be fair, I believe there was something Dale never used that most other drivers used. I can't exactly remember what it was however.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
mredsox89 said:
hofmichael said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:

Mike

Hans
Skorris CCBC said:
mredsox89 said:
hofmichael said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:

Mike

To be fair, I believe there was something Dale never used that most other drivers used. I can't exactly remember what it was however.

HANS device. It is now required to wear a head and neck support device. Before his death there were no rules.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
justinmandawg said:
mredsox89 said:
hofmichael said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:

Mike

Hans
Skorris CCBC said:
mredsox89 said:
hofmichael said:
BowmanChromeAddict said:

Mike

HANS device. It is now required to wear a head and neck support device. Before his death there were no rules.

Exactly, that's it. I knew it has a head support device, just couldn't remember the actual name.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
I have never been the type to watch a boxing match in its entirety. But I watched the entire Boom Boom Mancini vs. Duk Koo Kim fight back in 82. Those two guys beat the total living crap out of each other! Mancini ultimately won and Kim died of brain damage a few days later.

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
The HANS wasn't something "most" other drivers used when Dale died. In fact, only a select few drivers were wearing it then. After Earnhardt's death, when the cause of death was determined (basal skull fracture), NASCAR mandated all drivers to wear them.

I believe at the time of his death, Dale was the only driver still wearing an open-faced helmet. NASCAR mandated full helmets as well.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I watched the 2001 Daytona 500 and because I had taped it I didn't find out that Earnhardt's crash was fatal under later that night. It was hard to reconcile the footage with the fact he died.

Just a little more on Earnhardt and the HANS device. There were two deaths the previous summer, Adam Petty (grandson of Richard Petty) and Kenny Irwin Jr., that got NASCAR officials worried but nothing was mandated. After Earnhardt died in the same manner, the HANS device was mandated.

Alex

AKT74

Sep 8, 2009
Not an athlete, but I was at a Phillies game 2 years ago when a guy 2 rows over had a heart attack and died right there. I always wonder if that got to watch them win the series wherever he was.

buffalo5edwards

Aug 7, 2008
AKT74 said:
Not an athlete, but I was at a Phillies game 2 years ago when a guy 2 rows over had a heart attack and died right there. I always wonder if that got to watch them win the series wherever he was.

You have the greatest sig ever. God I love that show. I can never find Green Man scenes online.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
beefycheddar said:
I was watching "Over the Edge" live when Owen Hart died. I'll never forget that moment.

Same here. Owen was a Legend where I am from, i was in a pub watching the pay per view with about 100 other people.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts