Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chasing Canseco - Best Day Ever.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Ok, so two things. First, why not use face pics from all of his rookie cards in your above book card as opposed to the random pieces? Just curious? I know with the 86 it might be too big so that's why I'm guessing you did it that way?

Secondly, if you're in the hard copy Beckett, I'm driving up to you to get my copy autographed! Besides, we need to get some Bagwells made up. I still want that invisifractor!

An autographed copy would not be a problem at all :)

For the rookie book, I didn't want just his face ... too many eye balls! The focus wasn't to be on HIM for that part of the card, but rather the rookie cards. I kind of wish I got more of the "rated rookie" logo in it for sure! I guess if it bugs me too much I could always tear it down and redo, but I have way too many other things in the works for the future, so I don't see it happening anytime soon :)

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I didn't know the Beckett boards still existed, but I am glad they do for your story. I really hope you make it to the printed copy and it will be my first Beckett in a couple of years. I hope you don't mind a little TTM autographing.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
[MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION]'s Beckett article, the most TTMed Beckett ever, all from members here, haha!

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Sooooo ... I just got an email from Chris Olds, the editor of Beckett. "Check out the front page."

BAM!!!!

beckett.jpg

The stache doing the bash w/Jose smack dab, front and center of Beckett Online. #tryingtostaycoolaboutit #nochanceofthathappening

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
So happy for you and agree with the others. This is far and away the best thread this board has ever seen.

I am also impressed with how supportive your wife is with your hobby to go through all that.

Now I can't wait to see all these customs as they're finished.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Done. I hope I did it right!

mouschi

May 18, 2012
You might have posted it on the other, older page, try this one:

Ah, gotcha - I clicked join group and now it says pending. I guess I have to wait until I'm approved?

Last edited by a moderator:

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I'm going to be posting this in its own thread later, but I wanted to keep it in this thread for documentation purposes.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
It has been a long time in the making, and is really hard for me not to build this up too much, only to have you be seriously let down in the end. Just understand that at the end of this, you will think to yourself "pfffbt...that was all?" (This is me trying to bring your expectations back down.)

Okay, I'll stop going around in circles and get to it. This might just be one of the most important pieces I have made ever. Technically speaking, there isn't necessarily a WOW factor. It doesn't have a player's tooth embedded in it, nor will it make you breakfast or sing to you.

The thing that makes this special, is that this card simply should not exist.

I know, you are thinking to yourself ... none of the cards I make should exist, but this one is different.

Here it is:

20150529_004105.jpg

What is so special about this?

If you have been a reader of my blog for a while, you know that this is actually a newer rendition of the first booklet I ever put together using a 25 cent A's hat from a garage sale, pizza cutter, exacto knife and elmer's glue stick. You do remember, don't you? Here is a refresher if you didn't click the link:

Untitled-1.jpg

This was before I had access to anything I use now, as well as any game used material. I was so proud of it. I started thinking how cool would it be to have this as a higher quality booklet ... but instead of game used pieces, have their autographs.

The problem?

Mark McGwire.

He will flat out not sign ANYTHING with Jose on it. But don't take it from me ...

mcgwire.jpg

See folks? I wasn't kidding! He sounds serious, too. I mean, look at the look on his face and the gratuitous usage of exclamation marks in his word bubble!

This is the face of a man who will not be signing anything anytime soon next to Canseco.

Panini came close to fulfilling the dreams of bash brother fans by producing this card:

Untitled-3.jpg

But I think they missed the mark ... as in Mark McGwire ... being in a FREAKING CARDINALS UNIFORM! C'mon!!!! Bash brothers ... both need to be wearing the green and gold. If this is the closest we are going to get, I knew I had to take action.

You may remember a few months ago I showed off my McGwire refractor that was autographed thanks to a connection Bluejet66 had.

10922478_10206068670458637_8986936231370553141_n.jpg

While I was mega pumped with how this turned out, I confess I didn't tell you the whole story.

You see, while I did have him sign the above card I also had him sign another. A card that he almost did NOT sign, likely due to suspicion of some sort.

After Big Mac's hesitation, he went ahead and signed!

20150529_004120.jpg

One can only speculate why he hesitated to sign this, and what was going through his head as to why someone wanted him to sign a baseball card that was of his back.

With as excited as I was about the USA refractor getting autographed, I was MUCH more excited for this, because all I had to do was to get Jose to sign the other piece. Since I had all the pieces ready, I carefully (without too much sweat) assembled the only on-card dual auto booklet of the bash brothers known to man-kind ... or at least known to me-kind.

Here is what working on it until 3:00 AM last night got me.

I present to you: The Book of Bash -

20150529_020742.jpg

20150529_020713.jpg

I still cannot believe it is done! Over the past several months, it looked like Mark wasn't going to sign. Then it looked like Jose might not sign. Here we are though! I have it proudly displayed on my desk in a one-touch booklet holder.

This is just another reason why I love creating custom cards so much - a card like this may never exist ... ever, and yet here it is shining on my desk in all of its on-card auto, bash brotherly goodness.

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
My god! The entire story of your Jose meeting was incredible. Left me absolutely speechless.

Now you come with this? Being a McGwire collector this is the absolute ultimate! Brings back so many childhood memories when I went to A's games and saw the bash brothers in action!

Thank you for this...

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Went to Beckett to check something and saw you and Canseco on the front page news.. Came over here to make sure I'm not crazy.

That's awesome man, congratulations! You deserved it!

Members online

Latest posts