Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PLayer Lots Selling "ok", Making Progress -1st Round Results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I am starting to work on thinning out the collection today.

I am going to start by putting together player lots. So, i wanted to ask the board, what players are "worth" putting together?

Here are the Results from the 1st 10 or so lots that sold last night. Bummed about the Griffey lot, but happy with Verlander and Pujols. I will have more results after tonight.

ENDED LAST NIGHT - Tuesday 2/2/2010

Jeter (150) - $55
Griffey Jr. (377 w/20 rcs) - $88
Pujols (160) - $107
Verlander (60) - $21
Mariano Rivera (52) - $550
CC Sabathia - $2.25
Roy Halladay (81) - $7.00
Greg Maddux (204) - $6.51 (OUCH)
Cole Hamels (48) - $5.24
Josh Beckett (96) - $2.26
Chris Carpenter (53) - $.99
Johan Santana (66) - $.99

RESULTS FROM WEDNESDAY NIGHT - 02/03/2010

A-ROD (161) -
Hanley Ramirez (44) -
Ichiro (131) -
Mke Piazza (200) -
Todd Helton (141) -
Frank Thomas (204) -
Felix hernandez (48) -
Randy Johnson (210) -
Tim Linccum (42) -
Joba Chamberlain (64) -
Andy Pettite (89) -

Crossing my fingers :D

skrip

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Re: Which PLayer Lots Sell "well", that are worth putting togeth

Ripken and Frank Thomas

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

IMO, all players are worth putting lots together. You would be surprised as to how many people have obscure player collections out there. Just make sure there are no dupes in the lot. If possible, provide scans of all the cards (multiple cards in a single scan is fine.) If there are so many cards that scanning isn't feasible, provide a list of all the cards, along with their number, variation, etc. .

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

Chase Utley does very well online as does Jim Thome. Sizemore, Upton and Tulowitzki aren't far away from making the list very soon.

Mauer will get hot if it looks like he's leaving Minny.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

Thanks everyone for your tips to this point...

Found a few more

Mariano rivera
Jose reyes
David wright
Mark mcgwire

Any other thoughts?

I know a lot of these are obvious. How about midrange guys that sell well?

Skrip

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

Piazza
Pedro
Ortiz
Schilling
Johnson
Really, just about anyone who has a card in a set outside of base topps, because if they're good enough to be included in a set with a 300 card or less checklist, someone will buy it. Anything Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Yanks, Mets will sell too

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008

Ive thought about doing this also. Now the other question is how many cards do you do per lot?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008

Biggio
Bo Jackson
Will Clark

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

jrinne said:
Ive thought about doing this also. Now the other question is how many cards do you do per lot?

Seems like they get easier to move the more you have. Lots of 50 are great. 20 or less is ...meh. And the less doubles the better but try to accurately describe the % of doubles or list as lot of ###, ### different. Oh, and if you have a couple of cheap plain jersey cards to throw in to the lot that seems to help garner bids as well. At least it did for me back in the day

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

I would likely be doing All of a particular player in my lots. Some guys might be too large with too many dups, so I will break those down.

Skrip

shuedini

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana

I purchase Rolen lots...when scans of each card are provided. There's nothing worse than buying a thousand card lot of your player only to find out there are 20 of the same Collectors Choice card 20 of the same base 2000 Bowman card...etc.

thunter48

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

when i was big on carlos lee i bought 800 base for 40 bucks...maybe 250 different, you will get more sales if they are different cards

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

And be careful about the shipping costs for lots over about 75 cards or so...

Usually more than that will mean having to use a package or box instead of a bubble mailer, and that costs more and takes longer to arrive. And anything bigger than 200 or so cards will be really expensive. Make sure you don't take the hit for that, but the higher shipping cost may hurt your sale price. Catch-22 there for sellers.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

gt2590 said:
And be careful about the shipping costs for lots over about 75 cards or so...

Usually more than that will mean having to use a package or box instead of a bubble mailer, and that costs more and takes longer to arrive. And anything bigger than 200 or so cards will be really expensive. Make sure you don't take the hit for that, but the higher shipping cost may hurt your sale price. Catch-22 there for sellers.

But don't forget about the USPS Flat-rate boxes. I get annoyed when I buy big lots, HUGE lots, that would have fit into a FRB and I get overcharged and the guy actually spends the money on shipping a more expensive way. It's not more expensive b/c it's better, it's just more expensive. You can nicely fit 200 cards safely in those $4~ FRB and the S/H charge on your auction stays below $5, which I think is a price-point when people buy these big lots.

spahnandsain

Aug 11, 2008
Conover NC

jay1065 said:
IMO, all players are worth putting lots together. You would be surprised as to how many people have obscure player collections out there. Just make sure there are no dupes in the lot. If possible, provide scans of all the cards (multiple cards in a single scan is fine.) If there are so many cards that scanning isn't feasible, provide a list of all the cards, along with their number, variation, etc. .

I agree with just about everything said in this thread. Also, don't be afraid to pull out the digital camera if the scanner can't fit them all.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008

The only comment I'll add is don't be surprised with some lots doing quite well while quite a few end up a lot of work for very little payback.
If you're going to list and scan every single card it can take up a lot of time but will definately help the final selling price.
It's jst very hit and miss in my opinion.
David

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts