Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Piratefest Results (scan heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I just finished scanning all my additions from this weekend's Piratefest. I went Friday and Saturday, with Maz being the 'big draw' both days. For reasons that I never can really figure out, his legend seems to grow with each passing year. Just a few years ago, you could find him doing Alumni signings and other free signings in the area, but the way some people acting this weekend you'd have thought Sandy Koufax was in town. Oh well.

I was able to get my rookie card signed Friday, which was my main goal. I was hoping to pick up an 8X10 of his Game 7 HR, assuming the Pirates would be smart enough to stock up on these in the area where they sell 8X10's of the players in attendance. I was shocked to find they didn't have a single shot of the HR for sale, so the 61 WS card was the next best thing.

The crowd was very large, and even the typically sparsely crowded VIP area for season ticket holders was spilling out of the autograph queue. Still, I was able to get the majority of my things signed. A few things worth noting from the weekend...Andrew McCutchen seemed to be far less talkative and friendly than he had been in the past. Maybe it was just a bad week, but it definitely caught me by surprise. Lastings Milledge was giving out a very nice, full autograph (as you can see below). Really shocked me, since the only knowledge of his signature was the sloppy LM signatures I had seen on some of his certified rookie cards. He was very friendly, but looked very irritated when he noticed the Mets card. He skipped over it Friday, just signing the Heritage. When I saw him on Saturday, the RC was the only one left on my page, and he begrudgingly signed it. Does anyone know of any back story between he and the Mets? I know his time in New York had some rough spots, but he seems to still be bothered by it.

I really like the look 09 Heritage set signed, and may try to get the complete team set signed. I'm only missing about 5 or 6 guys, but it may be tough to get the guys that are no longer with the team. Overall it was a very fun weekend, and I added some great pieces to my collection. Also, some of the new additions put me over the 450 mark of different Pirate autograph picturing the player in a Pirate uniform.

The 8X10's and newspapers look much better in person. They were in some older, scratched up photo pages when I scanned them.

977866188.jpg
977866191.jpg
977866192.jpg
977866194.jpg
977866195.jpg
977866196.jpg
977866197.jpg
977866198.jpg
977866199.jpg
977866200.jpg
977866201.jpg
977866202.jpg
977866203.jpg
977866204.jpg
acutch.jpg
bc.jpg
candyman.jpg
candy.jpg
candy2.jpg
coaches.jpg
crosbyas.jpg
crosbycrackerjack.jpg
dk.jpg
doumit06.jpg
doumitag.jpg
doumiy.jpg
doumthillcats.jpg
friend2.jpg
friend3.jpg
garrettjonesheritage.jpg
gijones.jpg
hanrahanheritage.jpg
hanrahan2.jpg
kenttekulve.jpg
larochespectrum.jpg
larocheh.jpg
lm09.jpg
lm.jpg
lmhud.jpg
maholm.jpg
maz.jpg
mazrc-1.jpg
neilwalker2.jpg
neilwalkergold.jpg
nw.jpg
pearce09.jpg
pearcecurve.jpg
rc.jpg
rd.jpg
sp09.jpg
sp09h.jpg
spearc.jpg
teke81.jpg
teke.jpg
walk82.jpg
walk89.jpg
walkereee.jpg
walkerminors.jpg

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
What do you think about Gift Ngoepe? Think he will ever make it up to the show as a Pirate or will they waste his talent in the Minors?

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
GarkoCollector said:
What do you think about Gift Ngoepe? Think he will ever make it up to the show as a Pirate or will they waste his talent in the Minors?

There is a long road between rookie ball and the majors. He certainly has a great story, and I hope he does succeed. From what I understand, the organization feel that his glove could profile as an above average defender up the middle, and they like his speed. However, his bat has a long way to go to catch up to where his glove is at. He's very young, and anything could happen in the next few years. Hopefully he continues to grow and develop, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a waste of talent if he never advances beyond the low minors. It's simply the nature of the game.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
Nice haul! Can't wait to see my stuff! Good luck to your Pirates this year! Would be really nice to see them compete again! A real shame what has been going on! That is a very nice city, with great fans and a great history. You all deserve more.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
bodiaz said:
Nice haul! Can't wait to see my stuff! Good luck to your Pirates this year! Would be really nice to see them compete again! A real shame what has been going on! That is a very nice city, with great fans and a great history. You all deserve more.

Oops! I had set your A&G's aside, and completely forgot to scan them ::facepalm:: They look great, though I wish Doumit would have signed in blue.

It was a rough stretch in the early part of the decade...kind of a perfect storm of an incompetent GM and an owner/CEO that didn't know any better, and got taken along for the ride. But I think some big steps have been taken in the right direction, and the team could start to rebound in the near future. Of course, until then I can't complain about being able to scalp first row box seats for $12 for the pair :D There are definitely perks to being a fan of a team most people don't care about.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
awesome haul Mark. the Heritage's do look amazing signed and I really like the look of Milledge's full auto. I think he is going to have a big year for the Bucs this season.

I am still confused by McCutchen's demeanor like I said in your Caravan post he was very friendly and talkative last Monday at the Caravan event I attended but yeah everybody has a bad week.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't call his demeanor unhappy, but maybe disinterested? But it was definitely different than he had been the past two years, and even the signing he did at PNC Bank the last week of the season. He always had a big grin on, and would say hi to everyone, etc. The three times I saw him this week, he had a straight face, and was basically just signing the autographs and that was it. But like I said...could have just been a bad week. The caravan has to take a toll on you, especially since they were hitting three stops each day. It doesn't make me any less of a fan of his, and I'm still going to continue my new player collection, but it definitely came as a surprise.

Then again, Nate McLouth didn't seem to like me too much last year either. So maybe center fielders just don't like me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Milledge is going to have a very solid year. He seems to really be applying himself, rather than just getting by on natural talent. And Meek looks HUGE. He added some major muscle over the offseason.

Piratesfan1418

Aug 13, 2008
I am so there next year. I personally love the Mazeroski signed rookie card. Absolutely gorgeous...

By the way, I'll be in Pittsburgh for a series in May against the Cards. I can't remember the date though. And the Pirates come to Detroit this year so I'll be there for two at least.

B

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I love the Maz RC. Most people seemed to be getting balls, 8X10's, bats, etc done, but I love the look of signed vintage. I figure I can always pick up a signed ball or 8X10 down the road.

Send me a PM once it gets closer to your trip if you'd want to try and grab something to eat before one of the games or something along those lines. I probably suggested this before, but if you have a couple free hours time during the weekend, I would definitely suggest you check out the Heinz History Center in the Strip District. They have also added a Western PA Sports Museum that has some fantastic pieces from all three major sports teams. I think it's something you'd definitely enjoy.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Nice autos man!!! My feet were hurting from standing in line for Maz and Jones, so those are the only 2 groups I got while I was there on Saturday. I can't wait for the opener, a big group of us go every year and it's always a ton of fun.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
My back was killing me by Saturday night, since I was keeping all my stuff in a backpack. Thankfully I was able to get my Maholm and Doumit bobbleheads signed Friday, so that lightened things up a bit Saturday. Still, it was a great time, and I really enjoyed the opportunity to interact with the players. I had a nice chat for 2 or 3 mins with Bobby Crosby on Saturday morning about how much of the city he had seen, and what he thought of it so far, and Doumit seemed to really enjoy seeing the newspapers I had, especially the Lynchburg photo that was from '03 or '04.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
subject to change said:
I wouldn't call his demeanor unhappy, but maybe disinterested? But it was definitely different than he had been the past two years, and even the signing he did at PNC Bank the last week of the season. He always had a big grin on, and would say hi to everyone, etc. The three times I saw him this week, he had a straight face, and was basically just signing the autographs and that was it. But like I said...could have just been a bad week. The caravan has to take a toll on you, especially since they were hitting three stops each day. It doesn't make me any less of a fan of his, and I'm still going to continue my new player collection, but it definitely came as a surprise.

Then again, Nate McLouth didn't seem to like me too much last year either. So maybe center fielders just don't like me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Milledge is going to have a very solid year. He seems to really be applying himself, rather than just getting by on natural talent. And Meek looks HUGE. He added some major muscle over the offseason.

McCutchen had that vibe when I saw him in Syracuse last year in AAA. Wouldn't say a word, didn't have a grin, didn't sign sweetspot either. Guess he was bored, he's a lot like Hanley Ramirez was in the minors. Which makes me think McCutchen is going to have a monster year and his numbers were similar to Hanley's rookie year numbers.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't know that he will ever have the power that Hanley does, but I think Cutch will definitely be in the upper tier of offensive center fielders. He's a very exciting player to watch, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually move into the 2 or 3 slot in the order, assuming someone else on the team displays the ability to hit leadoff.

robboshow

Aug 7, 2008
Western Maryland
Nice haul. My back hurts just thinking about all the time you spent in line.

I really dig the signed Heritage cards. You should definitely try to get the rest of the set done. I would be surprised if you were not able to get the remaining guys TTM.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I still have quite a few to get done:

Morgan
Capps
Doumit
Adam LaRoche
McLouth
Luis Cruz
Jason Jaramillo
McCutchen
Moss
Jack Wilson

capps and LaRoche should be gettable TTM, Doumit and Cutch should hopefully be with the team for at least another year or two, so hopefully I can get them at a future Piratefest. The others might be a bit tougher, but maybe I can track copies down at some point.

I love the 60 set, both for the design and the anniversary of the WS team, so hopefully I can get the Herigate set done.

Members online

Latest posts