Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

White Sox To Un-Retire Luis Aparicio's Number For Vizquel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
If Aparicio gave his blessing (which, by what the article says, he did) I don't see a problem with it. Plus, Omar isn't Joey Cora. He's a future HOF'er.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
55_marlins_sp said:
If Aparicio gave his blessing (which, by what the article says, he did) I don't see a problem with it. Plus, Omar isn't Joey Cora. He's a future HOF'er.

+1 on this

I was unhappy 'til I saw that Aparicio was down with it.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
This is always a touchy situation for the former player. Of course Aparicio is going to ok the request as he doesn't want to come off as a *****. Hopefully, he truly is ok with it. When the Tigers traded for Sheffield, he asked if he could wear number 3. Trammell gave his public ok, but I don't think he was really happy about it.

Alex

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I don't think the White Sox should have placed Aparicio in such a situation. A number is retired for a reason.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
THECARDFATHER said:
This is just wrong. If im Aparicio, I un-induct myself into the hall as a white sox. Slap in the face

Total slap in the face.

Ap played his ass off only to have the sox say "we dont want your number retired anymore, we want his"

Ap has to be pissed about it even though he said ok

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
THECARDFATHER said:
This is just wrong. If im Aparicio, I un-induct myself into the hall as a white sox. Slap in the face

Total slap in the face.

Ap played his ass off only to have the sox say "we dont want your number retired anymore, we want his"

Having known several Venezuelans personally, I would bet that Aparicio and Vizquel share a great kinship.

I could be wrong.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Mighty Bombjack said:
HPC said:
THECARDFATHER said:

Total slap in the face.

Having known several Venezuelans personally, I would bet that Aparicio and Vizquel share a great kinship.

I could be wrong.

Good point. I like retired numbers to stay retired, but if Aparicio gives the OK for a stellar player like Vizquel to wear it, then I'm all for it.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Why not let them both have the number retired?

No harm in my eyes having 2 greats of the game who wore the same number keep it

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
HPC said:
Why not let them both have the number retired?

No harm in my eyes having 2 greats of the game who wore the same number keep it

It's not like the number is retired across the league, it's just for the Sox. The Sox will never retire Vizquel's number, but maybe the Indians will.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Aparicio is a class act, I have met him and have talked to him about 5 times over the years,
what rocks this man world is the fact that fans even recognize him when ever he is at the park
and how they like to have is auto and even takes pictures with whom ever asks.

But on a personal note I think the Sox should have never un-retired it even if it is for
a player who has had that number for his whole career, Aparicio, had it and they where done with
it so I think Vizquel should just be happy he is still wanted and is playing and just find some other number
to wear. By the way we only route for laundry and not the number anyway since players jump from team to team anyway
because this is a business and not a sport anymore.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Pine Tar said:
Aparicio is a class act, I have met him and have talked to him about 5 times over the years,
what rocks this man world is the fact that fans even recognize him when ever he is at the park
and how they like to have is auto and even takes pictures with whom ever asks.

But on a personal note I think the Sox should have never un-retired it even if it is for
a player who has had that number for his whole career, Aparicio, had it and they where done with
it
so I think Vizquel should just be happy he is still wanted and is playing and just find some other number
to wear. By the way we only route for laundry and not the number anyway since players jump from team to team anyway
because this is a business and not a sport anymore.
Actually, at least one White Sox player wore #11 after Luis was traded to Baltimore. ;)

And personally, I think this is the more interesting part of the article.
"Ever since I signed with the White Sox, the first thing Ozzie Guillen said (was): 'You can forget about 13, that's going to be my number,"' Vizquel said. "He knows that's my number and I really would love to wear it. But I think what Ozzie Guillen has done for the Chicago White Sox, winning them a championship and all the years that he played there, No. 13 already has a name. ... As long as a Venezuelan is wearing it, I'm pretty happy with it."

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
HPC said:
THECARDFATHER said:

Total slap in the face.

Did you guys read the article??

Aparicio said if there's one player he'd like to see wear his number, it's Vizquel, the leader among shortstops in games (2,681) and a three-time AL All-Star.

"I have known Omar for a long time," the 10-time All-Star shortstop and nine-time Gold Glove winner said in a statement. "Along with being an outstanding player, he is a good and decent man."

They appear to be good friends. Both Venezuelian greats. And as much as I hate to say it...I think Aparicio's more proud of being in the hall than having his number retired by the White Sox.

As for the Trammell situation someone mentioned, I HIGHLY doubt that Sheffield wanted the number to pay homage to Trammell, when in this case, I'm sure that this is the reason Vizquel asked for it...and he probably asked Aparicio first to begin with.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I think what the White Sox are doing is wrong. They retired his number for a reason, SO NOBODY ELSE COULD EVER WEAR IT! If Omar truly respected him he wouldn't want or accept it.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I love the silly controversy. People saying Omar DEMANDED it, the White Sox bowed to Omar, disrespected Aparicio, betrayed fans.... wow. He'll be a 43 year old utility infielder making about a million dollars per year. That's not exactly a position to demand much of anything. What's he gonna do, refuse to share his wisdom with Alexei Ramirez? "No way Ozzie, I got stuck with #14. Up yours, my lips are sealed."

Omar and Aparicio are countrymen with the ultimate respect for one another. As far as I know, no one on this board or virtually anywhere else knows how this conversation went down. For all anyone knows, it was Guillen who made this suggestion. Maybe it was the White Sox front office that thought this was a nice tribute. Do you think Aparicio was sippin' margaritas by the pool and got a call from the Sox asking him if he had a problem with it? Maybe the idea was prompted by him since they're close friends. Regardless, the idea would be dismissed immediately if the White Sox weren't proud to have Omar wear their uniform. They hold all the cards and wouldn't allow it on the whim of a $1 million man.

It's an incredible honor to let him wear the number. But a couple of you guys must know a bit more about the situation. If you could provide the facts of Omar's "demand" and disrespect of Aparicio, please share.

As a lifelong Tribe fan I hate the White Sox. Aside from the Yankees, the White Sox were the next worst team he could've signed with. Well at least getting all those White Sox fans' ******* in a bunch over #11 is a nice consolation.

Beckhamcollector15

Dec 10, 2009
VizquelCollector said:
As a lifelong Tribe fan I hate the White Sox. Aside from the Yankees, the White Sox were the next worst team he could've signed with. Well at least getting all those White Sox fans' ******* in a bunch over #11 is a nice consolation.

Trust me, Sox fans don't really care. I don't think Vizquel would really wear the number and let the White Sox un-retire it if Luis really cared about it either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts