Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's Top Prospect For 2010 Is?

#1 BA Prospect Is?

• Jason Heyward

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Their Top 100 Prospects list goes live tomorrow.

Jim Callis told me the decision for #1 was so close that they went one way, but switched at the 11th hour. I couldn't get him to spill the beans.

So, with 24 hours left before everyone knows, pick who you think they went with.

(I'm curious to see if it's just as close here. :mrgreen:)

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
To me, Strasburg is the better prospect.

I personally think that BA has given Heyward way too much credit from the beginning...not to discount the fact that he's still a top notch prospect, but I think they blow it out of proportion...so I think that he's gotta be their pick.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

I personally think that BA has given Heyward way too much credit from the beginning...not to discount the fact that he's still a top notch prospect, but I think they blow it out of proportion...so I think that he's gotta be their pick.

I'll take Heywards overblown performance over Strasbergs almost no performance.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Jaypers said:

Jim Callis told me the decision for #1 was so close that they went one way, but switched at the 11th hour. I couldn't get him to spill the beans.

So, with 24 hours left before everyone knows, pick who you think they went with.

Considering you said they switched it, I'm going to guess Strasburg got the top spot.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
According to a recent podcast, the vote came down to a 50/50 tie and they eventually went with one guy. Jim Callis then came in with new info of some sort that caused the switch. It's going to be interesting to see considering Strasburg was Callis' number one guy.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
phillyfan0417 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

Sure, you can argue that Heyward has performed against better competition than Strasburg, but historically, players that have huge success in college generally fair pretty well in pro ball.

Remember that there is an enormous difference between a high schooler that is hyped up and a college player that is hyped up, because unlike high school, no one that makes the cut to play division 1 baseball is a bad player.

So even though Strasburg hasn't yet backed up his hype with pro ball performance, remember what he did against Division 1 hitters (some of which are also now in Major League systems) last season.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
phillyfan0417 said:

Agreed. I think judgement on Strasburg should be reserved until he throws 120+ IP in the minors. Until then it's all just hype.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
phillyfan0417 said:

Performance is the lesser of the two factors which contributes to ranking on BA's lists. The other is potential.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Sure, you can argue that Heyward has performed against better competition than Strasburg, but historically, players that have huge success in college generally fair pretty well in pro ball.

If collegiate success is the edict for estimating the success of prospect pitchers I am very excited for my fellow ASU alum Mike Leake.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Slightly OT, but I just got this email from BA, for those interested.

To celebrate the release of our annual Top 100 Prospect list, Baseball America will be hosting live chats with four of the top prospects in the game. Astros catcher Jason Castro will kick things off at 4 p.m. EST, followed by White Sox outfielder Jared Mitchell at 4:30 p.m. EST and Mets first baseman Ike Davis at 5 p.m. EST. Fittingly, Nationals righthander Drew Storen will close things out by taking questions at 7 p.m. EST.

The chats will be free for everyone, so head over to BaseballAmerica.com and submit your questions

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Seriously, how important is the difference between #1 or #2 ? Five years from now no one will care. Silly human needs of ranking everything.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Heyward. Too much hype this offseason, as the Strasburg hype machine has maintained a steady pace.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
ru4scuba said:
Jaypers said:

Considering you said they switched it, I'm going to guess Strasburg got the top spot.
agreed

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I'm going with Heyward, but if BA somehow found out that Strasburg can legitimately crack the Nationals opening day roster without heading to the minors first, does that vault him over someone like Heyward at this point?

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Lars said:
I'm going with Heyward, but if BA somehow found out that Strasburg can legitimately crack the Nationals opening day roster without heading to the minors first, does that vault him over someone like Heyward at this point?

There is a 100% chance that Strasburg will start off in the minors and a 99.9% chance that he will start off at Potomac.

Members online

Latest posts