Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay scam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Tried to log in to Ebay to check some completed listings and it took me to a page that said something about security and asked for all kinds of credit card and other personal info

What the hell? I made sure that I typed in www.ebay.com. Are they really trying to get all my personal info just to sign in?

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
Tried to log in to Ebay to check some completed listings and it took me to a page that said something about security and asked for all kinds of credit card and other personal info

What the hell? I made sure that I typed in http://www.ebay.com. Are they really trying to get all my personal info just to sign in?

SCAM!!!!

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
ebayi.jpg

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
You may want to check to see if your computer has a virus redirecting you somehow.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I trust that it's a scam, I just don't have the time to figure out how it could possibly be when I was on Ebay's official website.

At what point does ebay become financially liable for someone getting their personal info stolen ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
humm, the URL is valid though.

I still wouldn't enter any info, call Topps and see what's up.

It is probably a IE browser hijack on your computer that is playing tricks with the info IE is displaying. Notice the overlaying continue button.

A_Pharis

cgilmo said:
humm, the URL is valid though.

I still wouldn't enter any info, call Topps and see what's up.

It is probably a IE browser hijack on your computer that is playing tricks with the info IE is displaying. Notice the overlaying continue button.

Ding! Correct. You have a browser hijack (probably running in the form of an add-on) that is overlaying fake prompts and images.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If you are running a 32-bit version of Windows XP, google a program called COMBOFIX.

Download and run COMBOFIX. It's free.

It will cure what ails you. Don't believe me? Google it...

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
cgilmo said:
chompsmcgee said:
If you are running a 32-bit version of Windows XP, google a program called COMBOFIX.

as good as combofix is, it's hardly a cure-all

For malware and browser hijacks it certainly is.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
chompsmcgee said:
cgilmo said:
chompsmcgee said:

no, it isn't a fix all

There isn't a single program out there that is, and there never will be.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
cgilmo said:
chompsmcgee said:
cgilmo said:
chompsmcgee said:

no, it isn't a fix all

There isn't a single program out there that is, and there never will be.

Totally agree with you, Chris. There will never be a fix all and I never made such a claim.

However, as this used to be my profession for several years, I can say with a good amount of certainty that COMBOFIX will solve our friend's ebay scam problem.

For the majority of infected computers I've worked with COMBOFIX did the job without the assistance of any other programs. Did I ever come across infections that wouldn't go away? Sure, but that is why you reference the log file with google for the tricky ones.

Members online

Latest posts