Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vicente Padilla to be Opening Day Starter for LAD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
:? :? :? :? :?

Going into his 11th major-league season, Vicente Padilla has earned an accolade he's never experienced - being the Opening Day starter.

Padilla will get the nod for the Los Angeles Dodgers in their opener April 5 at Pittsburgh, five months after a gunshot wound to his leg nearly ended his career.

Manager Joe Torre said Thursday that Padilla's performance in the playoffs last season helped land him the spot.

"I'm very happy he had the confidence for me to pitch the first game," Padilla said through a translator. "I'm really grateful."

Meanwhile, Russell Martin still has his sights set on being in the starting lineup when the Dodgers open the season.

"I'm not certain, but I'm fairly optimistic," he said.

Martin, out since March 7 because of a groin injury, caught four innings in a minor league game Thursday against Texas Rangers players in Surprise.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
only because its against the pirates and torre feels bad for padilla after eing shot and able to come back strong. Otherwise we would be seeing billingsley go out there

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
And Nicaragua rejoices!

The first time a Nicaraguan starts Opening Day since Denny Martinez?

Of course, LA probably isn't rejoicing with him as their "ace" (as Opening Day starters typically are).

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
Shows being an opening day started is over-rated. The only thing that matters is the last day of the season and not the first.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts