Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Diamonbacks owner owns the Gretzky T206 Wagner!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
After years of speculation and mystery of who owns the famous Wayne Gretzky T206 Honus Wagner PSA 8, the owner has come forward and it is the Arizona Diamonbacks owner, Ken Kendrick. The PSA 8 Wagner along with many other amazing cards will be on display starting this Saturday at the baseball HOF in Cooperstown (Wish i could go).

Heres the article that i thought many here would find interesting

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamond ... -card.html

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
matfanofold said:
Marro said:
I wonder when Upper Deck will admit to cutting the card from the sheet to score such a high grade.

I thought that was already established as fact...?

Just wanna see a nice press release about it from them... To me its not worth what was paid because of that. One actually surviving and scoring that grade would make it worth that much in my eyes. But thats just me and I am sure others see it another way.

Jul 30, 2009
That card has had some amazing journey.

Who knows where it was before Gretzky got it but from that point on, its been in the collection of the greatest Hockey player collection, ina national contest, in a postal women's bank box, on Larry King and so on and so on.

From the 451,000 Gretzky/ McNall paid for it to the multi millions it last sold for.

And I wont even get into all the controversy.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
matfanofold said:
Marro said:
I wonder when Upper Deck will admit to cutting the card from the sheet to score such a high grade.

That's what I always thought as well. I can see both sides of the debate. It's a weird area. It normally would have been cut from the sheet, and it's not like it had rounded corners at one point. However, I can also see the other perspective that it's similar to trimming because the manufacturer didn't cut it. It's a weird situation for sure.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Marro said:
matfanofold said:
Marro said:

Just wanna see a nice press release about it from them... To me its not worth what was paid because of that. One actually surviving and scoring that grade would make it worth that much in my eyes. But thats just me and I am sure others see it another way.

Maybe the price is actually low because of this knowledge. If another PSA8 were found that was inserted could it sell for even more?

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
While I love taking shots at Upper Deck (What, they aren't an advertiser here anymore?), they didn't cut it from the aleged sheet.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
George_Calfas said:
Marro said:
matfanofold said:
Marro said:

Maybe the price is actually low because of this knowledge. If another PSA8 were found that was inserted could it sell for even more?

It depends, A few Wagners have been selling recently at auction. about 3 or 4 in the past few months, not sure if right now is the time to unload an 8 at auction. Seems other people are selling to have money in pocket. But if another 8 was avail, Someone or group might dig deep for it..

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Sean_C said:
While I love taking shots at Upper Deck (What, they aren't an advertiser here anymore?), they didn't cut it from the aleged sheet.

Gilmo said in chat why the other night, Something about not wanting to pay the rates or along those lines.. Are you going after anything with Heritage this month?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
1. It's never been alleged by any credible source that UD cut the card from the strip or sheet that it came from.

2. There is an entire book on who owned the card before McNall and Gretzky. "The Card". Read it, and you will never feel the same way about this hobby again.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
chashawk said:
1. It's never been alleged by any credible source that UD cut the card from the strip or sheet that it came from.

2. There is an entire book on who owned the card before McNall and Gretzky. "The Card". Read it, and you will never feel the same way about this hobby again.

I didn't even see the UD part. :lol: ::facepalm::

The book makes it seem fake. Which is weird considering all the controversy is in the cutting of it from a sheet.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
chashawk said:

Mcnall and Gretzky were both inital investors in Upper Deck and the card showed up and graded a psa 8. A few credible sources have said it is possible they used UD to cut the card from the sheet, To achieve such a high grade. Read the book about the card, Most people dont wanna see that side of the hobby.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
chashawk said:

That is the single best review of the book I have read and your post has been thanked.For those that are not aware UD had nothing to with this card.Bill Mastro did.

Members online

Latest posts