Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Card Mfg's Reaction To A Patch Faking How-To Video?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
OK please don't flame me here, but I have a question. Do you think card manufacturers would react if they saw a public video of someone demonstrating the process of swapping patches in cards? It seems to me it would bother them quite a lot and perhaps motivate them to develop some countermeasure? If the average collector saw a video of someone doing this relatively easily, it might sour them a bit and ultimately lead to more widespread skepticism of nicer patch cards. That can't be good for the card manufacturer, since the integrity of their products are essentially called into question, right? Why buy a sweet patch card from XYZ company if we all know how easy it really is to swap them out? My guess is that the chronic patch fakers aren't geniuses or especially skilled, and it isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it. Somewhat like pack searching. Most of us don't know how to do it, but I bet the average guy could do it easily if shown how.

I recognize that the likely result in the short term might be an increase in patch-faking. However might it be worth the short term pain to solve the problem going forward?

Again, please don't flame me here. Just thinking out loud. I had another offer for a very nice Vizquel patch card over the weekend from a collector and it turns out to be clearly fake. It's discouraging!

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
I'm sure there's not one way to fake a patch. With as many guys that do it, I'm sure there's as many techniques. Plus, you don't even have to be that Good to make a fake and pass it off.

The only video I want to see about a fake patch solution is the one where the company videos the patches right before pack-out. Faster and easier than scanning a database, and would get tons of views at their site. They have to handle them to pack them out anyway, right? May as well film it. Narrator: "Jason Heyward All Star Patch 1/25...2/25...3/25.."

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Kevbo said:
I'm sure there's not one way to fake a patch. With as many guys that do it, I'm sure there's as many techniques. Plus, you don't even have to be that Good to make a fake and pass it off.

The only video I want to see about a fake patch solution is the one where the company videos the patches right before pack-out. Faster and easier than scanning a database, and would get tons of views at their site. They have to handle them to pack them out anyway, right? May as well film it. Narrator: "Jason Heyward All Star Patch 1/25...2/25...3/25.."

you could pass em through a scanner just as easy

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
Well either way it gets done, I do predict that at least one set will have some sort of a patch database in the next 5 years. I also predict I'll become a patch collector within the next 5 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts