Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

what do you think ud pays the usa junior players

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
got it. see i was wondering if it's even legal for them to get money for that, but then i figured it's legal for an amateur athlete to perform a service for someone else, so this would be no different.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
J.O. said:
got it. see i was wondering if it's even legal for them to get money for that, but then i figured it's legal for an amateur athlete to perform a service for someone else, so this would be no different.

Amateurs can't be paid. It's in NCAA rules as far as how USA cards can be made, they are a loophole.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
beefycheddar said:
J.O. said:

Amateurs can't be paid. It's in NCAA rules as far as how USA cards can be made, they are a loophole.

It is still legal though. NCAA is not the law.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
andyduke86 said:
beefycheddar said:
J.O. said:

It is still legal though. NCAA is not the law.

Yes, but then they can not play NCAA sports. So by NCAA By Laws, which they fall under as amateur athletes, they can not be paid.

vetsgt02

Oct 7, 2008
Trona, CA
They can accept Dontation made in ther name to charity which would in turn be a tax write off though. Couldn't they also be paid in extra scholorship money?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Actually they can be paid, but they will lose the ability to play college baseball and even continue playing USA baseball.

No one would ever accept the money, because the ability to at least fake like you are going to college is valuable.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
If you don't accept scholarship you can have a job. Greg Anthony gave up his scholarship at UNLV his senior year to start a t-shirt business out of his apartment. The NCAA tried to 'persuade' him to sever his business but he refused and they didn't have a standing rule to hold him to. It may have changed since then but I do believe that the NCAA cannot stop players without scholarships from working. Every summer college baseball players play in independent leagues throughout the nation and they get jobs that they really dont even have to show up for and get paid pretty nice for college kids.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
seitas said:
If you don't accept scholarship you can have a job. Greg Anthony gave up his scholarship at UNLV his senior year to start a t-shirt business out of his apartment. The NCAA tried to 'persuade' him to sever his business but he refused and they didn't have a standing rule to hold him to. It may have changed since then but I do believe that the NCAA cannot stop players without scholarships from working. Every summer college baseball players play in independent leagues throughout the nation and they get jobs that they really dont even have to show up for and get paid pretty nice for college kids.

For college football and basketball players there are limits I believe on what they can make, how much they can work, etc.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
ljw29 said:
seitas said:

For college football and basketball players there are limits I believe on what they can make, how much they can work, etc.

It is really low too. I want to say you can only make $2500 in a year or something like that. And the workload depends on your sport and how demanding that is. I know that you are only allowed 20 hours per week practice time (for sports) and the amount of time you have to work a job is determined by how many hours a week you are practicing. So sports like Football probably leave no time for a job.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
seitas said:
ljw29 said:
seitas said:

It is really low too. I want to say you can only make $2500 in a year or something like that. And the workload depends on your sport and how demanding that is. I know that you are only allowed 20 hours per week practice time (for sports) and the amount of time you have to work a job is determined by how many hours a week you are practicing. So sports like Football probably leave no time for a job.

FWIW, I worked at McAlisters deli in the summer as a scholarship football player.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
vetsgt02 said:
They can accept Dontation made in ther name to charity which would in turn be a tax write off though. Couldn't they also be paid in extra scholorship money?[/quote

What would be the point of a 16-year old, with virtually no income, accepting a charitable donation in their name to be used as a tax write-off?

I'm willing to bet not one USA ballplayer itemizes on their taxes. LOL!

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
seitas said:
ljw29 said:
seitas said:

FWIW, I worked at McAlisters deli in the summer as a scholarship football player.

It's a hard rule to enforce. Did anyone say anything to you about working and having a scholarship?

vetsgt02

Oct 7, 2008
Trona, CA
Crash Davis said:
vetsgt02 said:
They can accept Dontation made in ther name to charity which would in turn be a tax write off though. Couldn't they also be paid in extra scholorship money?[/quote

What would be the point of a 16-year old, with virtually no income, accepting a charitable donation in their name to be used as a tax write-off?

I'm willing to bet not one USA ballplayer itemizes on their taxes. LOL!

Was trying to dig up the article I read on this awhile back but it dad say they could accept donations made in thier name for tax write offs and could aslo accept money for scholorships. No sure why they would need the tax write off but who knows maybe their parents could use it. Not a clue man just repeating something I read like a year ago.

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
My uncle was a college pitcher in the 70's an he was given a paid job to make sure the sprinklers came on every morning. They didnt care if he did it or not they just wanted him to have some spending money. I can give more info if you would like but that is the jist of the story.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
seitas said:
cgilmo said:
seitas said:
ljw29 said:
seitas said:

It's a hard rule to enforce. Did anyone say anything to you about working and having a scholarship?

Not a peep.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The NCAA came down pretty hard as of late.

Club Trill!

Anyways, I don't think he was a scholarship athlete and they told him that the only way that he could sell Club Trillion shirts was if he donated the money to charity.

It was hilarious looking at his twitter because the day after Ohio State was eliminated, he started tweeting crap like "NEW COMPUTER on it's way!" "New PHONE!" etc. etc.

Obviously, it's pretty easy for anyone to funnel money to an athlete through a "job" so the NCAA sorta has to crack down on it.

The easiest way to get around such a law is to pull a Peter Warrick and just STEAL STUFF.

Anyways, these kids know what's up and I'm sure their "advisors" figure something out.

IE. UD Donate 10K under fathers name to advisor's favourite charity. Wink, Wink. Nod, Nod. Magically, the kid has 10K spending cash and three years later, magically he decides to sign with his advisor.

Ask John Calleparri how it's done, I'm sure he has clever investing strategies.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
Players sign as a service to USA Baseball organization

As far as high schol kids signing for Razor at US Army game...
I would imagine maybe BG gives a check to the US ARMY game???
If so, he should somehow get that donation on TV during the game so he gets some publicity

How about AFLAC? Guess it it allows the game to continue

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts