Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When does Bumgarner get the call?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I'm not usually one to make threads, but when should Madison get the call? Assuming he pitches well in his next two or three starts, is it after that? Or does he spend the whole season in AAA to reaffirm that he's got his groove back? The G-men could use a #5 at the moment.

Ant

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
I can't imagine there will be any correlation between Buster being called up and Bumgarner being called up. It will be a matter of how well wellemeyer is pitching and his leash gets shorter and shorter each start. There was talk a week or so ago about bringing up Eric Hacker to take a start in the 5 spot; but Madison has picked it up since then and Hacker had a bad last start. The giants are monitoring the #5 situation closely and it is really up to Wellemeyer. If Wellemeyer can take that role and run with it Bumgarner will be in Fresno until Sept. (unless there is a trade) but if wellemeyer continues to struggle I can see him being released or demoted by June. Two more bad starts and Wellemeyer is gone.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
bozemanbreaker said:
Whenever Posey gets the call ;)

The only reason Posey is there is to save arbitration money.

I dont believe that. He doesn't have a spot on this team now. He could catch 2 days a week and that would be an injustice to his development. He is fine in Fresno learning how to catch and call games from Steve Decker. Remember that Posey has only been a catcher for a few years and his glove is just not ready for the show yet. His bat seems to be ready, but AAA ball is not a good indicator of future success at the MLB level. I think the fact that it stalls his clock is a pleasant side effect but not the reason he is in Fresno. SF wasn't afraid to get Timmy going early, that was because they had a spot for him. As long as Molina is healthy Posey will be honing his skills in Fresno. But if Molina goes down the Posey era will begin and if he hits Molina will become expendable. The Giants think that they are a playoff team this year and don't want to jeopardize that with an inexperienced player in the arguably the most demanding position on the diamond.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Eli is a horrible catcher...posey will be at worst, the same level of catcher skill with a lot better bat. Actually i think posey would be a better catcher has eli has horrible footwork and a weak arm..posey was hitting 90 mph (off the mound) in college.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
he gets the call whenever they play interleague with the Mariners next. the Fister- Bumgarner matchup is going to have a lot of hype behind it :|

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
Eli is a horrible catcher...posey will be at worst, the same level of catcher skill with a lot better bat. Actually i think posey would be a better catcher has eli has horrible footwork and a weak arm..posey was hitting 90 mph (off the mound) in college.

While that may be true. Do you really want to see Posey getting the time that Eli is getting now? I don't. Posey need regular at bats and lots of innings catching.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
seitas said:
darocker80 said:

While that may be true. Do you really want to see Posey getting the time that Eli is getting now? I don't. Posey need regular at bats and lots of innings catching.
We need his bat, he'll play 1B against lefties (and bench aubrey huff). Also bengie is getting older and posey will get plenty of times to catch (especially night to day games).

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
seitas said:
darocker80 said:

We need his bat, he'll play 1B against lefties (and bench aubrey huff). Also bengie is getting older and posey will get plenty of times to catch (especially night to day games).

I cant disagree more. If the Giants wanted a first baseman they should have drafted Smoak. Posey's value is that he is a catcher. If you take him from his development, plug him into an MLB line-up at a foreign position I think you are setting the kid up for failure. The Giants are the laughing stock of the league for how they 'develop' position players and if they screw up Buster it will only add the legacy of incompetence. Be patient with Posey and he will pay off, rush him and you could ruin him. And honestly this team is the best in their division without him. Consider it a luxury that we don't have to rush him to San Francisco and play him out of position to compete in our division. Patience my fellow giant fan, patience.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
seitas said:
darocker80 said:
seitas said:
darocker80 said:

I cant disagree more. If the Giants wanted a first baseman they should have drafted Smoak. Posey's value is that he is a catcher. If you take him from his development, plug him into an MLB line-up at a foreign position I think you are setting the kid up for failure. The Giants are the laughing stock of the league for how they 'develop' position players and if they screw up Buster it will only add the legacy of incompetence. Be patient with Posey and he will pay off, rush him and you could ruin him. And honestly this team is the best in their division without him. Consider it a luxury that we don't have to rush him to San Francisco and play him out of position to compete in our division. Patience my fellow giant fan, patience.
We need offense terribly, its our number 1 concern and hinderence. Did I say make posey a first baseman...no. I want him at bats. He'll get at bats at both positions and next year he will be our starting, everyday catcher. All I am saying is everyone is playing well this year, who knows if zito and sanchez will pitch like this next year. this is our year and we need to use all the tools we have.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
seitas said:
darocker80 said:
seitas said:
darocker80 said:

We need offense terribly, its our number 1 concern and hinderence. Did I say make posey a first baseman...no. I want him at bats. He'll get at bats at both positions and next year he will be our starting, everyday catcher. All I am saying is everyone is playing well this year, who knows if zito and sanchez will pitch like this next year. this is our year and we need to use all the tools we have.

We can agree to disagree then. This team is 7th in all of baseball in batting average and 10th in OBP. The offense is better this year and if Sanchez comes back healthy they will only get better, don't forget that DeRosa has done nothing yet too. This team is walking more this year, scoring more runs and hitting for a higher average. I don't think offense is a huge concern. With our pitching our offense is good enough to win 90 games. This team from an offensive perspective is very similar to the Angel team that beat us in the WS back in 2002, a bunch of singles/doubles guys with one masher mixed in.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
seitas said:
darocker80 said:
seitas said:
darocker80 said:
seitas said:
[quote="darocker80":u2f0agkv]Eli is a horrible catcher...posey will be at worst, the same level of catcher skill with a lot better bat. Actually i think posey would be a better catcher has eli has horrible footwork and a weak arm..posey was hitting 90 mph (off the mound) in college.

We can agree to disagree then. This team is 7th in all of baseball in batting average and 10th in OBP. The offense is better this year and if Sanchez comes back healthy they will only get better, don't forget that DeRosa has done nothing yet too. This team is walking more this year, scoring more runs and hitting for a higher average. I don't think offense is a huge concern. With our pitching our offense is good enough to win 90 games. This team from an offensive perspective is very similar to the Angel team that beat us in the WS back in 2002, a bunch of singles/doubles guys with one masher mixed in.[/quote:u2f0agkv]
This is true. What we really need though is an rbi man. Oh how i'd love to have a ryan zimmerman on our team

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah I'd love to have one more run producer. Who knows it could be posey. I just know that with his natural athletic ability he could become a tremendous catcher and if we have a solid offensive catcher for the next 7 years or so this team can win a lot of hardware. I don't want the Giants to derail him just yet and I believe that Steve Decker is one of the very best catching mentors in baseball right now. Trust me when I say that he is learning more from Steve Decker than he ever would from Bruce Bochy and Benji Molina who continually implies that he is not comfortable with the whole Posey situation.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
I know he hasn't proven himself in the big leagues, but just like other teams do with their catcher, if posey becomes very valuable at the plate, will they keep him as a catcher or try and save his legs.

And do u think tommy joseph will become a first baseman then if posey is our catcher for the next 5ish years

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not sure. He has played a little bit of firstbase here in Fresno and I know they worked him at out Third as well. They asked him to bulk up in the off season to build a stronger base to better handle catching. He has a pretty big lower half and if he fills out he might be stuck at catcher or first anyway. I really like Tommy Joseph, that kid can flat out hit. It's too early to tell where he will play, but I could see him at 1b or c. I watched him workout and his swing reminded me a lot of Paul Konerko and the ball flies off of his bat. He has a great stroke for a power hitter and is advanced in the fact that he is able to apply backspin to the ball to get that carry that power guys covet. Most good high school hitters square the ball up and only hit line drives, Joseph has already begun the swing downwards to get backspin approach that allows hitters to maximize their power. I am excited to watch him develop and it kind of deadens the sting of the Villalona debacle.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
seitas said:
I'm not sure. He has played a little bit of firstbase here in Fresno and I know they worked him at out Third as well. They asked him to bulk up in the off season to build a stronger base to better handle catching. He has a pretty big lower half and if he fills out he might be stuck at catcher or first anyway. I really like Tommy Joseph, that kid can flat out hit. It's too early to tell where he will play, but I could see him at 1b or c. I watched him workout and his swing reminded me a lot of Paul Konerko and the ball flies off of his bat. He has a great stroke for a power hitter and is advanced in the fact that he is able to apply backspin to the ball to get that carry that power guys covet. Most good high school hitters square the ball up and only hit line drives, Joseph has already begun the swing downwards to get backspin approach that allows hitters to maximize their power. I am excited to watch him develop and it kind of deadens the sting of the Villalona debacle.
i want to pick up some neal chrome autos and hope he (Joseph) gets a bowman chrome card soon.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I think Bumgarner gets the call within the next month provided that he continues to get better, and if Wellemeyer continues to stink. I'm over watching Wellemeyer pitch.

With Buster, the only way he comes up is if Molina goes on the DL which could happen because Molina is already injured.

Latest posts