Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cubs-Cleve deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
wolfmanalfredo said:
As a Twins fan, I'm happy with whatever deal hurts our rivals the most. This deal makes me happy

The Indians gave up vitually NOTHING for Derosa. I can't see any way that this trade hurt them at all. They gave up 3 minor leaguers, two of whom I have never even heard of. Derosa can play all four infield positions and the corner outfield spots as well. He's expected to fill the hole that the Indians have at 3rd base, where some feel he is most adept. This is a winner for the Tribe.

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
derosa is solid, a good temporary solution. with a coupld great 3b prospects in the works, its smart. if they do call up wes hodges (who is a st invite and is starting in aaa) or one of their other prospects, derosa could move into just about any other position on the field.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I personally don't see Darosa as a catch, thats why I said it was a bust trade for the Tribe. I'm not aware of who they gave up, but IMO it had to be better than Darosa

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
wolfmanalfredo said:
I personally don't see Darosa as a catch, thats why I said it was a bust trade for the Tribe. I'm not aware of who they gave up, but IMO it had to be better than Darosa

derosa is an above average player who can be good anywhere in the infield or a corner outfield position. even if he isnt an all star, he is definatley someone who can help a team and be a good leader in the clubhouse.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
Jeff Stevens
Chris Archer
John Gaub

Stevens was AAA, likely to come up on the roster
Archer was SAL
Gaub was single-A

I don't know how the Indians lost in this deal

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
And some stats...
Archer: 4-8, 4.29 ERA, 115.1 IP, 84 BB/106K
Gaub: 1-1, 3.38 ERA, 64.0 IP, 32BB/100K
Stevens: 5-4, 3.21 ERA, 58.1 IP, 27 BB/81K

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I still say Derosa is regarded higher than he should be, and again as I stated above it is my opinion. Nobody should be getting defensive over someone elses opinion. Anyway, we'll have to see how it plays out, but I personally think Derosa isn't going to play out the way the Indians want him to.

I'm not trying to start an argument or disreadard others opinions, I'm just trying to get my point across without it being immediately shot down.

Again we'll have to wait and see what happens.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
Watt said:
Jeff Stevens
Chris Archer
John Gaub

Stevens was AAA, likely to come up on the roster
Archer was SAL
Gaub was single-A

I don't know how the Indians lost in this deal

Exactly. DeRosa is coming off a year in which he posted career highs in HRs(21), RBIs(87), and runs(103). I don't know if he'll be able to fully replicate that this season (probably not), but I'm sure he'll come reasonably close. His batting averages over the past three seasons are .296, .293, and .285. His lowest RBI total over that span is 72 as well. I'll take that kind of production for what they gave up any day of the week.

DeRosa will likely stick around for this season until Hodges can (hopefully) take over at 3rd base in 2010. I wouldn't mind him being here afterwards, but I can't see where the Indians would find room for him on a full-time basis if Hodges takes charge defensively at 3rd.

Again, I can't see how deal hurts the Tribe. They gave up three players that have no major league experience and have no major hype behind them. They had no 3rd baseman set for 2009, unless they went with plan B and slid Jhonny Peralta over to 3rd base and Asdrubal Cabrera to short. That would have left a hole at 2nd base to be filled by either Jamey Carroll or Josh Barfield, neither of whom sports the offensive production that DeRosa does. This deal allowed the Indians to plug their hole at 3rd base, it keeps two players at their current positions, and adds more offense to their lineup. I can't see how DeRosa's offensive contribution will possibly end up being worse than that of Carroll or Barfield in 2009.

I'm not trying to be defensive about your opinion wolfman, I'm just being reasonable given the situation that the Tribe was in at 3rd base and what they gave up to get DeRosa.

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
wolfmanalfredo said:
I still say Derosa is regarded higher than he should be, and again as I stated above it is my opinion. Nobody should be getting defensive over someone elses opinion. Anyway, we'll have to see how it plays out, but I personally think Derosa isn't going to play out the way the Indians want him to.

I'm not trying to start an argument or disreadard others opinions, I'm just trying to get my point across without it being immediately shot down.

Again we'll have to wait and see what happens.

i see what your saying. i understand where your coming from. i personally hope they try him out and when it doesnt work out they call up wes hodges on may 1st and he can put up half of longoria's rookie numbers

go_tribe

Aug 15, 2008
buffalo
DeRosa is a temp solution, but a pretty good guy to have grinding it out for Wedge. Good trade imo, its not like we gave up much for him. Also, its not hurting us in anyway having DeRosa on this roster, don't see how this is bad for the tribe. DeRosa isn't expected to come in here and be an all star. All he has to do is be better than Barfield and Marte, and its an upgrade for 2009. Hopefully Peralta can stick at 3rd so DeRosa can play 2nd, adding even more value to this trade.

Jeff Stevens was aquired for Brandon Phillips and was thought to be a future closer canidate. He has pretty good stuff and pitched for team usa in the olympics.

Gaub I dont know much about, but was the worst pitcher in this trade.

Archer is a a high risk, high potential kind of guy who is at least 2 years away from getting to the majors. I wouldn't even mention him in a top 25 prospect list.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
It will be tough for him to duplicate those #s in Cleveland. He wont have a lineup with D. Lee, Ramirez, Fukudome and Soriano..... BUT.... he will have Matt LaPorta.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts