Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strasburg: What would happen if....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
We have a thread from the negative viewpoint, but what would happen to the price of his Bowman/Bowman Chrome base cards if he throws a gem? Not a perfectro or no-no, because that would be crazy, but say 7IP 2 hits 0runs 8Ks?

I think that we could see the base cards go for 30-40 and the chrome to push 70-90 on a regular basis. Thoughts?

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Blue Hodges Reverend said:
We have a thread from the negative viewpoint, but what would happen to the price of his Bowman/Bowman Chrome base cards if he throws a gem? Not a perfectro or no-no, because that would be crazy, but say 7IP 2 hits 0runs 8Ks?

I think that we could see the base cards go for 30-40 and the chrome to push 70-90 on a regular basis. Thoughts?
In short the answer is no.There would be a short term spike but like everything else they will settle back down.
Mike
Edit to add:We have hit a point in our hobby where almost everything is price higher upon release or pre-debut of the player.You are almost always better to wait at least 6 months to purchase something after release or a players debut.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
hofmichael said:

In short the answer is no.There would be a short term spike but like everything else they will settle back down.
Mike
Edit to add:We have hit a point in our hobby where almost everything is price higher upon release or pre-debut of the player.You are almost always better to wait at least 6 months to purchase something after release or a players debut.

I agree with you about waiting to buy in typical years, but this is not your typical year. topps being the only game in town has moved a lot of dollars to Bowman that would have been spread among 3 or four products. Those products do not exist. As the prices get higher for wax, singles continue to climb. Those who bought Strasburgs at release are reaping the benefits of that now.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
hofmichael said:
[quote="Blue Hodges Reverend":1n0yz5ro]We have a thread from the negative viewpoint, but what would happen to the price of his Bowman/Bowman Chrome base cards if he throws a gem? Not a perfectro or no-no, because that would be crazy, but say 7IP 2 hits 0runs 8Ks?

Mike

I agree with you about waiting to buy in typical years, but this is not your typical year. topps being the only game in town has moved a lot of dollars to Bowman that would have been spread among 3 or four products. Those products do not exist. As the prices get higher for wax, singles continue to climb. Those who bought Strasburgs at release are reaping the benefits of that now.[/quote:1n0yz5ro]
And when Chrome comes out less dollars will be focused on Bowman.That is the time to buy.You shouldn't be buying in when a product is at it's peak unless the buy-in is incredibly low for that player(ex:Nolan Arenado).

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
prospectors know better. but general public don't his publicity will draw in extra dollars. the prices on his stuff will explode with gem outing.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
His hype is so high right now the only way his cards go up is if he throws a perfect game against the Buccos

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
uniquebaseballcards said:
His hype is so high right now the only way his cards go up is if he throws a perfect game against the Buccos

I disagree. I think if he hits 101 on the gun during his first outing then prices will respond in turn. I think a lot of people buying into him have never seen him throw and this will be a major shock to folks that think he's Todd Van Poppel 2.0.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
a pitching gem last longer then a hitting gem. hr first ab spike but unless continue to hit a big drop. stras gem hype will carryover into the next week when he pitches again. espn will see to it as will national media

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010

I disagree 100%. His hype is high, but there is still room to go up. There are so many people out there who can't look outside the box. All they know is what has happened with previous players. EARTH TO COLLECTORS-This isn't your everyday prospect, obviously. When was the last time you saw highlights from a guys AA and AAA starts on ESPN each time he pitched? Or when can you remember someone's starts being televised in the minors? My memory may be short, but I don't recall anything like this. We have all seen what ESPN's hype does to prices of a guys stuff-just look at Jason Heyward. Sure, his chromes only reached something like $15-$20, but that is partly because he had many different cards out. Strasburg has USA base(which are going for over $50 easy), and then these Bowman. And of course the super high priced autos of his. So, when people flock for his stuff, what are they going to choose? Pretty easy, it's going to be Bowman-and most likely Chrome. It's hard to guess the exact price these COULD get to-but I can tell you one thing for certain-they can definitely continue to go up without a perfect game.

Haters will hate-and insist "they can't get any higher", while those who do their homework and think outside of the box will be rewarded.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The opposite is just as true - all the lovers will love and say "the ceiling is infinite". But those who have done their homework have already sold out.

Another thing that's true: All the lovers are great for sales :)

hail2thevictors said:
Haters will hate-and insist "they can't get any higher", while those who do their homework and think outside of the box will be rewarded.

Wes

OG
Administrator
The opposite is just as true - all the lovers will love and say "the ceiling is infinite". But those who have done their homework have already sold out.

hail2thevictors said:

Disagree. Just ask all the folks who were screaming sell Heyward during ST. There is NO REASON to sell a guy before he is called up if it is imminent, unless you believe without question that he will fail immediately. But if that's the case, why did you invest in the first place? Time and time again has seen callup=price spike.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Heyward didn't get anywhere close to the attention Stras got, I'm not sure this is a fair comparison. Different investment pools.

But consider: what percentage of people here who pulled Stras a week or two ago kept Stras?

There are different degrees of 'failure' just like different degrees of 'success', its all subjective.

LLWesMan said:

hail2thevictors said:

Disagree. Just ask all the folks who were screaming sell Heyward during ST. There is NO REASON to sell a guy before he is called up if it is imminent, unless you believe without question that he will fail immediately. But if that's the case, why did you invest in the first place? Time and time again has seen callup=price spike.

Members online

Latest posts