Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Post office racket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Friday afternoon boredom rant...

What's up with bitter PO employees? I get up to the counter and say, "I want to mail this (hand over bubble mailer) standard 2-3 day mail, with delivery confirmation." Man-lady says "So you want Priority?" I say, "I want the cheapest 2-3 day delivery option, whatever that is." Man-lady takes it, says total is $5.63. Uhhhh, what? It's a baseball card in a bubble mailer, I tell her I've mailed heavier things further (it's going to NV) for cheaper. She says "You said Priority". I say, "I said I wanted the cheapest option, whatever it is." On and on and on, she reluctantly switches it to first class mail. Gee, thanks. Also, thanks for trying to make ME look like the ******* in front of everyone.

Is there any difference at all between 1st Class and Priority, other than the $3 difference? Seems like a sham to me.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Yeah, the difference is, priority usually takes longer. :lol:

And brother, I know tons of people with better, easier, higher paying jobs than me, and they are still bitter all day long.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
The lady just struck me as particularly nasty. Not that I go to the PO for their service, but geez... O'well. Package sent, which is all that matters. What a messed up system! No wonder they're hemmoraging money.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
well if you specifically said 2 to 3 day option, that would make her think priority.

First class often takes only 2 to 3 days but its LISTED as a 3-5 day option.

Not saying she wasn't nasty, but if you said 2 to 3 days, that = priority to the post office folk.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
I will gladly put the post office in Homestead Florida at the top of the "Avoid these places at all costs - you'd rather have ****** -list".

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
Mudcatsfan said:
well if you specifically said 2 to 3 day option, that would make her think priority.

Not saying she wasn't nasty, but if you said 2 to 3 days, that = priority to the post office folk.

+1 - she is actually in the right in this situation based on what you said to her

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Give me that option for $5.63 with tracking!!! haha ;) cheapest option for tracking here is like $14.00 bucks :eek:

But yeah when you told her 2-3 days it probably signaled priority to her, but yeah it sounds like she had an attitude issue too.

should have just said 1st class standard with tracking, that's what I used to say when I lived in the states for awhile.

Shep :ugeek:

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
shephech said:
Give me that option for $5.63 with tracking!!! haha ;) cheapest option for tracking here is like $14.00 bucks :eek:

But yeah when you told her 2-3 days it probably signaled priority to her, but yeah it sounds like she had an attitude issue too.

should have just said 1st class standard with tracking, that's what I used to say when I lived in the states for awhile.

Yeah, but you get all that "free" healthcare. ;)

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
chashawk said:
shephech said:

Yeah, but you get all that "free" healthcare. ;)

Fair enough..... :D

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Mudcatsfan said:

Exactly 2-3 days = priority mail

I see so many ******* customers come in PO when I'm there, packing stuff as they try to mail. FILLING OUT SLIPS AND WASTING EVERYBODYS TIME IN POST OFFICE. TO ME 90% OF THE PROBLEMS IS THE nimrods that come in and mail stuff that have no brains.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Eh, whatever. We were both in the wrong, how about that? :D I was more amused at how ridiculously nasty she got. Ok, sure, maybe I indirectly implied that I wanted Priority, but when I made reference that I'd shipped things cheaper she looked at me with complete disgust. Now I know what to call it! I usually just say "cheapest possible". It just felt like they were trying to trick me into paying extra. I just found it a bit unnecessary, is all. Just switch the options on your little computer! Can't be that hard. It's not my fault you have a mustache.

Funny to me, though, that I NEVER have 1st class mail take longer than three days, maybe on truly rare occasions.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
lisu said:
I try not to talk to postal workers at all. It's hazardous to my mental health.
Ehh...I've had a completely different experience with the ones here. I usually can only ship on Saturdays because the post office here is so big yet overstaffed. So i've been in tehre like every Saturday for like the past 3 years so they know me pretty well.

The only employee that was ever snarky to me got the quick boot, as it seems other customers had the same problem. The other 3-5 workers there were all great. I have since moved and go to a different post office that is much smaller, but better staffed....go figure. Anyways, the employees there are all very tolerant and great too.

Seems like you got a real bad apple lol.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
She's definitely the bad apple of the crew. There's a lady who always tells stories about her cat (very weird, but friendly), the old man who's humor I don't get (but again, somewhat friendly), man-lady #1 with penciled in eye brows (incredibly friendly), and man-lady #2, who, apparently, is nasty.

Considering what they do for a living, I certainly don't expect friendliness! I certainly wouldn't be the cheeriest character after standing on my feet all day every day dealing with idiots who call 1st class mail "2-3 day".

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
jswaykos said:
She's definitely the bad apple of the crew. There's a lady who always tells stories about her cat (very weird, but friendly), the old man who's humor I don't get (but again, somewhat friendly), man-lady #1 with penciled in eye brows (incredibly friendly), and man-lady #2, who, apparently, is nasty.

Considering what they do for a living, I certainly don't expect friendliness! I certainly wouldn't be the cheeriest character after standing on my feet all day every day dealing with idiots who call 1st class mail "2-3 day".
I do. This is what they choose to do for a living and are well compensated for it. Holidays off & paid. Plenty of vacation time. Guaranteed pension. They work in a "service" industry, and attitude is not neccessary.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
chashawk said:
jswaykos said:

I do. This is what they choose to do for a living and are well compensated for it. Holidays off & paid. Plenty of vacation time. Guaranteed pension. They work in a "service" industry, and attitude is not neccessary.

I meant more that it'd probably wear on me after a while, service industry or not. I've put in plenty of time in the industry (though not at a post office, but in a full time, salaried capacity) and even though I did choose to do it, I still had days when I hated everyone and everything. There's always gotta be a devil's advocate on these boards. :D

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
chashawk said:
jswaykos said:

I meant more that it'd probably wear on me after a while, service industry or not. I've put in plenty of time in the industry (though not at a post office, but in a full time, salaried capacity) and even though I did choose to do it, I still had days when I hated everyone and everything. There's always gotta be a devil's advocate on these boards. :D

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
i always just say "the cheapest way to get it there without specifying a time frame, they usually figure it out then. unless the buyer specifies a particular manner fo shipping and pays for it.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
for the future, you might want to go to usps.com and study the classes/types of mail a little bit so you can order exactly what you want for the mailpiece.

Unfortunately, ignorance leads to being ripped off nowdays and with the internet, it's easy to do quick homework to put yourself more in a position of power.