Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebates? Anyone use it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
This is my first topic, so I figure I might as well (attempt) to save people money! I've been using ebates for 7 months (started in December of 2009) and I've absolutely loved it. For those who buy a lot on ebay, I can't imagine an easier way to build up some cash. We're also the ebay bucks VIP or what not so we get the 2.5% from ebay bucks as well. We currently get 3% back on all ebay purchases and over the course of the year, it adds up!

Once you sign up, http://www.ebates.com , whenever you buy something off ebay just click the ebates link on the bottom left corner and it will have a spot to search or put the item # in. I was leery originally to see if they would actually pay out every 3 months like they claim, but payments have been like clock work.

Here is what we've earned so far with ebates since December,

ebatesimage.jpg

Jedi500

Jan 2, 2009
I use it and love it as well. I have been using it for 6 months or so and dont use ebay too often, but have racked up about $75 over the past 6 months and have gotten paid in a timely fashion...Plus getting 3% now is a nice bonus.. :)

Recommend to ALL!!

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
On non ebay purchases, more times then not I have to submit a request to get my rebate. Just last we they did not credit me a purchase that would have given me almost $20.
For ebay purchase I have never had a problem though

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Ebates is nice but I've found that you get more cash back by using Big Crumbs. Ebates offers you between 1% and 3% cash back on ebay purchases (2.5% for sports cards and memorabilia) while Big Crumbs gives you 36% of the sellers' final value fees in cash back (I've been averaging 3.4%). Plus, you only have to wait 2 months to get your cash back as opposed to 3 months.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Hawkhawk said:
i just signed up, now how do i use it for ebay?

Before you make a purchase, click the ebay link on the bottom left corner and it will forward you to ebay with a referral in the URL. Just make your purchase and later that afternoon you will get notification that you have received money.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
ballerskrip said:
Do you find that Ebates pays more than Big crumbs?

Or about the same?

It really depends on where you're going to be buying. If it's just ebay, some may find big crumbs gets more, depending on the category you are purchasing from.

For me it's ebates and its not close. The catalog of stores on ebates crushes big crumbs and almost anything I order I can use ebates. If you purchase stuff on ebay via best office, big crumbs does not work by the way.

I spend a lot in August, my goal is to make $5,000 in ebates from August-September.

Combining ebates + ebay VIP bucks, I'm getting 5.5% right now. And certain days up to 8.5% back.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
frzg said:
ballerskrip said:

Or about the same?

It really depends on where you're going to be buying. If it's just ebay, some may find big crumbs gets more, depending on the category you are purchasing from.

For me it's ebates and its not close. The catalog of stores on ebates crushes big crumbs and almost anything I order I can use ebates. If you purchase stuff on ebay via best office, big crumbs does not work by the way.

I spend a lot in August, my goal is to make $5,000 in ebates from August-September.

Combining ebates + ebay VIP bucks, I'm getting 5.5% right now. And certain days up to 8.5% back.

That's not true. If you make an offer after clicking the big crumbs link and your offer is accepted, you get the cash back. You do not get the cash back when you receive a counter offer and accept that.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
JVC said:
frzg said:
ballerskrip said:

Or about the same?

That's not true. If you make an offer after clicking the big crumbs link and your offer is accepted, you get the cash back. You do not get the cash back when you receive a counter offer and accept that.

My mistake then, I was going off of complaints I've read and the FAQ from the site "As the buyer, you will receive cash back on any winning bids and Buy It Now purchases. Best Offer purchases are not guaranteed to be eligible for cash back."

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
My understanding is that snipes are not eligible which would limit a ton of opportunities on high dollar cards.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
frzg said:
This is my first topic, so I figure I might as well (attempt) to save people money! I've been using ebates for 7 months (started in December of 2009) and I've absolutely loved it. For those who buy a lot on ebay, I can't imagine an easier way to build up some cash. We're also the ebay bucks VIP or what not so we get the 2.5% from ebay bucks as well. We currently get 3% back on all ebay purchases and over the course of the year, it adds up!

Once you sign up, http://www.ebates.com , whenever you buy something off ebay just click the ebates link on the bottom left corner and it will have a spot to search or put the item # in. I was leery originally to see if they would actually pay out every 3 months like they claim, but payments have been like clock work.

ebatesimage.jpg

Building it back up after the last payment I got!

ebates.jpg

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Russ S. said:
Yep. Hit my referral link

referrals are pretty worthless IMO and I feel sleazy when I ask someone to sign up.

I prefer buying, buying and buying to build it up.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
frzg said:
Russ S. said:
Yep. Hit my referral link

referrals are pretty worthless IMO and I feel sleazy when I ask someone to sign up.

I prefer buying, buying and buying to build it up.
Free money is free money. I feel just fine asking for it.
It benefits both parties.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
frzg said:
frzg said:

ebatesimage.jpg

Building it back up after the last payment I got!

ebates.jpg

Should be over $1,000 by Christmas!

ebates.jpg

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
Mr. Rebates is a better deal. I started out with ebates. Then I found Mr. Rebates. Unfortunatley, I signed up for it first and referred a friend (You get $5 to start out by just accepting a someone's referral). I buy way more than the friend I referred, so we could have set it up to where he referred me and then he would always be getting an amount equal to 20% of whatever my rebate was as a referral bonus. (This is in addition to the original buyers cashback rebate, not taken out of it).

Mr. Rebates is 3% on ebay. Currently it is 5% through the end of December I think. Whereas ebates is 1-3% (for cards). It used to be 2% flat, so thats why I switched to Mr. Rebates for the extra 1%.

Big Crumbs I believe works out slightly better for smaller purchases. But for larger purchases it may not be the best - lets take case for instance:

If it is at auction, the max seller fee is $50. Say the final sell price of the case is $599. $599 x .09% = $ 53.91 so max of $50 dollar seller's fee. Currently Big Crumbs is 54% of sellers fees so we would get $27 ($50 x .54%).
Mr. Rebates would net $29.95 (5% of $599). There is some crossover dollar amount I figured out one time on which is best to use depending on price. At the time it was 3% on Mr Rebates vs. 34% on big crumbs. Both have been inflated up during the holidays.

There is actually one time to use ebates - when it is a very very expensive item. The max cashback limit on Mr. Rebates is $30 per transaction (currently bumped to $50 for the holidays). To my knowledge ebates doesnt have a limit. There are times where only getting 2% cash back will get you more than the $30 dollar transaction limit that Mr. Rebates has in place.

Hope that helps. I dont have Big Crumbs so if I stated anything about that program incorrectly feel free to correct me.

http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=391055

Members online

Latest posts