Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is the Next Chrome High Riser ala Mike Montgomery?

Who will see the next Mike Montgomery Type Rise?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Just about every year one of two pitchers from one of the chrome sets comes out of knowhere to become a big time prospect. I use Mike Montgomery or Matt Garza as examples. Upon release and for months following, these were the "oh crud, not this guy" autograph pull from the set.

With that being said, I am starting a poll of pitchers only. Who do you think will be the breakout guy among this group? I have my thougths and like a few of these guys. So don't give me the "you are trying to figure out who to do buy" Bull$hit.

enjoy! Discuss! vote!

skrip

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
I'm not a fan of any of these guys but if I had to pick one, I would pick Hand over James just because of James' arm issue now...

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
It's more difficult for a college pitcher to boom like Montgomery did unless they are flat out dominate (IE Kyle Gibson earlier this year, Strasburg, etc). That leaves us with James, Matz, Hand, Schuster, and Mitchell. Of those, I'd rank them like this:

Brad Hand - Absolutely filthy. I'd like to see him cut down on the walks, but he's a huge sleeper.
Chad James - A few poor outings this year, but he's looked dominant at times. I like Hand's stuff a little bit better. He, too, needs to cut down on the walks.
Bryan Mitchell - Purely projection at this point. All the reports have sounded pretty intriguing, but I'd like to see what he can do first. He's certainly on the right team to explode.
BIG GAP
BIG GAP
BIG GAP
Steve Matz
Patrick Schuster

I just don't see any exploding in value anytime soon, however.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I think there are 3-4 guys on here who have a chance. A couple of them, Matz and Mitchell because they play in New York. I like James also based on his stuff. I personally like Matz the best of the group. But it truly wouldn't surprise me if a few of these make some really nice jumps in price. It isn't tough to make money on some of these guys, with there base autos selling $1-2 each....Or golds in the $30-$50 range.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
This guy

IMG_NEW-10.jpg

Sfar this season

Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG
JUP FSL 5 3 3.05 14 14 2 2 0 82.2 84 33 28 4 26 81 1.27 .264
Minors 5 3 3.05 14 14 2 2 0 82.2 84 33 28 4 26 81 1.27 .264
2 CG Shutouts 81 to 26 k/bb not too bad

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I really should have left Mitchell of this list. His prices were VERY low upon release but his BC autos are quite a bit higher than anyone else on this already.

skrip

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I voted for Brad Hand, but would really like to see it be Zach Putnam. By the way, does anyone know if Putnam's superfractor has surfaced?

Alex

marterburn

I said James, although I liike Hand too. I have 2 refractors and a base of james, and a blue refractor of hand.

I think it will be a little harder for Hand to boom because he has a Bowman paper auto and a bunch of Elite autos. James' elite autos are very few. Both are also in Sterling, of course. It's not a huge factor, but it's there.

Members online

Latest posts