Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2002 Donruss Sun Times Show cards /5?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlyles

Jan 28, 2010
I used the search feature and couldn't find anything, excuse my ignorance if this has been posted recently.

I recently won the 3 below pictured cards on eBay for $3 a piece and I'm trying to figure out if they are what the seller's description says that they are.

suntimesshowfronts.jpg

suntimesshowbacks.jpg

Here's what the item description says for each of them:

"Donruss Chicago Collection
These cards were among the first in a project in which Donruss/Playoff unveiled a show-exclusive program. At the March 2002 Chicago Sun-Times Show, if a collector opened a box at the Donruss/Playoff booth -- they received a card from what Donruss/Playoff called the "Chicago Collection". Donruss/Playoff created a limited amount of singles from selected products and sequentially numbered each card to 5. The cards were distributed on a strict product-specific basis. For example, collectors who opened 2001 Donruss packs or boxes in front of a Donruss representative were be rewarded with the appropriate number of 2001 Donruss Chicago Collection cards sequentially numbered out of 5. Likewise, attendees who opened 2001 Playoff Contenders packs or boxes received the appropriate amount of 2001 Playoff Contenders Chicago Collection cards. Due to scarcity, no pricing is provided for these cards."

The thing that worries me is that both of mine that are "numbered" on the front are "05/05", one of them has a different form of numbering (3/5 on the back), many of them on eBay sell for extremely cheap of fairly good players or don't sell at all.

Were these backdoored, "fake", what's the deal?

Thanks so much in advance.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I have several from a couple of different years. DLP was good about giving away cards, mostly 1/1s and #/5 at the Chicago National, Sun Times, etc...

jlyles

Jan 28, 2010
Thanks guys.

Yeah, George, I saw all of them on eBay, but since none of them sold I figured that there must be something wrong with them. $5 for a card /5 that is nearly 10 years old doesn't seem too expensive.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Nice buy! They are real, and you got a fairly good price for those. I bought mine from the same seller last year. I ended up paying a bit more for mine, the listing price has come down since then. The last two have an embossed stamp, you can kind of make it out if you look closely.

chicago1.pngchicago2.pngchicago3.png
chicago4.pngchicago5.pngchicago6.png

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Not worth the effort to fake. You got yours at a good price. But in general, show stamped cards don't sell anywhere near what pack issued cards serial numbered to the same print run will sell for.

Donruss used a variety of serial numbering techniques. Some had the small front numbers and some had the larger back stamps. Yours are all legit.

01DONRUSSSIGCHICAGO5.jpg01STUDIOCHICAGO.jpg01LEAFLIMITEDCHICAGO5.jpg
02DONRUSSCHICAGO.jpg02LEAFCHICAGO.jpg

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Very tough for player collectors. I managed to get most of mine for my guys at decent prices and have sold my doubles off.

Members online

Latest posts