Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The rationale simply isn't there.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Not sure of why you are confused.

The comparison is clearly marketing the value and rarity of similar era 'ultra rare' inserts. What part of the "rationale" are you not getting? Or are you just hung up on the fact the comparison is coming between 2 different type of cards?

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
matfanofold said:

The comparison is clearly marketing the value and rarity of similar era 'ultra rare' inserts. What part of the "rationale" are you not getting? Or are you just hung up on the fact the comparison is coming between 2 different type of cards?

I'm not confused. I just think the price on this card is ridiculously exorbant since it's not a highly sought after set such as the Crusades. Of course, it's not my card and I am not willing to pay anywhere near this price but someone else may be willing. Therefore I could be completely wrong with this entire post.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
cbrandtw said:
I just think the price on this card is ridiculously exorbant since it's not a highly sought after set such as the Crusades.

Clearly you dont know much about these cards. Probably one of the most sought after insert sets on the market from the last 15 years.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
cbrandtw said:
matfanofold said:

I'm not confused. I just think the price on this card is ridiculously exorbant since it's not a highly sought after set such as the Crusades. Of course, it's not my card and I am not willing to pay anywhere near this price but someone else may be willing. Therefore I could be completely wrong with this entire post.

That card is a bit more rare than any crusade that I know of, and thoes who go after such limited cards indeed would view that as a 'holy grail' of late 90's insert cards. Point being, thoes cards come about so rarely that to say thay are not 'highly sought after' is a bit of a paradox. The reason they are not 'highly sought after is because they are so limited, in number, and exposure. But they are so limited in exposure because they are indeed so highly collected. I have no doubt that card could fetch close to what he is asking.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I don't think the seller is off base at all. The Fleer Starting 9's are on so many completist player collectors lists that its not even funny. It's my number one most wanted card right now. I'd go big for one. And comparing it to a Crusade for pricing is about right. The 9's, since they are a low numbered parallels, are not collected as broadly as the insert Crusades, but the narrow group of collectors that can own one of the 9 for their player will compete hard for them. I believe the Red Crusade is more loved, but the scarcity of the Starting 9 cancels that out and they can be considered about equal in value. I don't think he made a straight multiplier arguement, just asking a little more for the 9 than what past sales of the Crusade sold for, based on it being 2.5x rarer.

Now, I don't think that card is worth that price, but that's a different story.

cvn66

Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, Wa
The prices for the Fleer Starting 9's can be all over the place. I paid $38 for my Brian Giles, $75 for my Kevin Brown and lost out on the only Darrin Fletcher that I have seen come up in about the last 5 years with a bid of over $250 (I think the winning bid was $283 or something around that). Do I think that the seller is going to get 1.5K for the Arod, no, but you never know if someone wants it badly enough that they will pay that price.

gracecollector said:
I don't think the seller is off base at all. The Fleer Starting 9's are on so many completist player collectors lists that its not even funny. It's my number one most wanted card right now. I'd go big for one. And comparing it to a Crusade for pricing is about right. The 9's, since they are a low numbered parallels, are not collected as broadly as the insert Crusades, but the narrow group of collectors that can own one of the 9 for their player will compete hard for them. I believe the Red Crusade is more loved, but the scarcity of the Starting 9 cancels that out and they can be considered about equal in value. I don't think he made a straight multiplier arguement, just asking a little more for the 9 than what past sales of the Crusade sold for, based on it being 2.5x rarer.

Now, I don't think that card is worth that price, but that's a different story.

This is why I love these boards........
I said it before and I will say it again....
the wealth of knowledge on these baords is staggering. :D

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
cvn66 said:
The prices for the Fleer Starting 9's can be all over the place. I paid $38 for my Brian Giles, $75 for my Kevin Brown and lost out on the only Darrin Fletcher that I have seen come up in about the last 5 years with a bid of over $250 (I think the winning bid was $283 or something around that). Do I think that the seller is going to get 1.5K for the Arod, no, but you never know if someone wants it badly enough that they will pay that price.

You're right here. The 9's have the added bonus that once in awhile they can be found at a great deal. The little logo on front just doesn't grab the attention as the shiny Crusades do. You have a MUCH better chance of getting a deal on a Starting 9 than a Crusade.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Evidentally, by the feedback from this beloved message board I am wrong. For the seller's sake, I hope he gets it. As for me, an avid 90's A-Rod collector, I couldn't come near the price. I view it as another card in the Burbank vault (even though it's not theirs) I only wish to own one day. Thanks for the input.

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
the crusades multiple parallel levels where is these were so rare many people didn't know they existed, I'd take that over a Crusade anyday

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
If the seller can use the "3x rarer" logic, I'll use some of my own.

When I was in college I remember a 98 BC Golden Anniversary Refractor Arod /5 going for around $600. That makes his card worth about $335

Members online

Latest posts