Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards are getting f&*$^i expensive again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Seriously. Maybe it's just the Strasburg tax, but EVERYTHING seems like it's skyrocketing in price. There's definitely been an increased interest in and awareness of our hobby due to Stras, but it seems like anything loaded with rookies is going crazy. Even 09 Bowman pricing is going up, which nobody would touch with a 10 foot pole a month ago.

Of course, I'm talking about wax here.

Is this a 'good' thing? I love the interest and the buzz around the hobby again, but the rising prices are probably what drove a lot of us away from the hobby 10 years ago. Some of the pack prices I've seen lately can't possibly be justified by what's inside!! Heck, even the 'hits' in a lot of these products are junk. Crazy.

End rant.

vetsgt02

Oct 7, 2008
Trona, CA
I think it has alot to do with the limited licensing. Less products are being released so people are going nuts over what is out there. Of course Stras and harper are not hurting matters though.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Blame UD. Had they not ****** themselves, there would have been a lot more product on the market, and dollars would be more spread out.

Blame equally MLBPA.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Blame the secondary mark-up. Supply-and-demand is all well and good, but when boxes are immediately (or even before release) fetching a 30% mark-up from previous years and from the factory, there seems to be a bit of unfairness that we'll have to get along with. Makes me wish there was a way to get Hobby directly from the manufacturer, but that would kill the card store, so I don't really want that.

Of course, I won't complain when boxes don't sell and they drop in price; so I guess that makes me a hypocrite. I think I'll stick to 2008 and previous for a while until the market settles down.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
hive17 said:
Blame the secondary mark-up. Supply-and-demand is all well and good, but when boxes are immediately (or even before release) fetching a 30% mark-up from previous years and from the factory, there seems to be a bit of unfairness that we'll have to get along with. Makes me wish there was a way to get Hobby directly from the manufacturer, but that would kill the card store, so I don't really want that.

Of course, I won't complain when boxes don't sell and they drop in price; so I guess that makes me a hypocrite. I think I'll stick to 2008 and previous for a while until the market settles down.

That's what I've been doing, too. Anything non-Strasburg is collecting dust.

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
jswaykos said:
hive17 said:

That's what I've been doing, too. Anything non-Strasburg is collecting dust.

Not really. I've been ordering boxes of stuff from the last 2 years and selling it like crazy. Like the above poster said, I think it's a combination of Strasburg and less products being available.

I've sold 4 boxes of 2008 Bowman Chrome, some 2009 Topps Unique (of all things) and some 2009 Topps Sterling..mainly because it's 3 weeks to a month between releases.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
There still is a TON of older wax out there that is just ten times better than anything that is put out today. Topps
has raised the bar now in baseball and that is making people want products that they didn't care about last year.
Take advantage of that and get older issues. 08 heritage Update is a mUCH better product than 2010 heritage but
you wouldn't tell by the price. Take Stras out of bowman and its just another bowman product, there are plenty of
other bowman releases with potential stars in them. Take advantage of collectors not wanting other olders issues
and make some deals for those...you know, products with HOF autos in them! They once existed!

Kevin

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
i just hope topps primarily sticks to their current ways and doesn't start making 125 sets a year with 4563 parallels like UD did, if they do it will create a even bigger following with supers, etc...

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'd like to see one of their sets cover every player who appeared on an MLB roster during the year.

1995BBRefractorGuy said:
i just hope topps primarily sticks to their current ways and doesn't start making 125 sets a year with 4563 parallels like UD did, if they do it will create a even bigger following with supers, etc...

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I'd like to see a new product (by anyone) that includes Vizquel. I don't how lousy or expensive, just SOMETHING. I'd be thrilled even if it was pricier than what I've typically spent.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I assume you mean in addition to base Topps?

If Vizquel decides to retire this year I'd like to see him in *next* year's base Topps as well so there's a base Topps card with his completed career stats.

VizquelCollector said:
I'd like to see a new product (by anyone) that includes Vizquel. I don't how lousy or expensive, just SOMETHING. I'd be thrilled even if it was pricier than what I've typically spent.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
It's a good thing because it will help Topps stay a viable company, help LCS owners stay in business, and help long term values to the extent that new collectors are getting involved and folks that went away are coming back.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
uniquebaseballcards said:
I assume you mean in addition to base Topps?
Yes, from here on out.

uniquebaseballcards said:
If Vizquel decides to retire this year I'd like to see him in *next* year's base Topps as well so there's a base Topps card with his completed career stats.

You and me both. Keep your fingers crossed...

James52411 said:
It's a good thing because it will... help LCS owners stay in business...
I dunno. It seems like mixed reviews. I've heard card shop owners wishing UD was still around. Topps is selling well, but not enough new products to keep customers coming in frequently.

Members online

Latest posts