Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Never buy a ______ box because.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Which HIGH PRICED boxes would you warn all collectors to NEVER buy, no matter what?

My picks are:

2001 Bowman Chrome: Pujols and Ichiro are expired redemptions and I dont think a gold ref of any top card will pay for the box.

2005 UD Rookie Update: Total con job product. Sell sheets stated 5 autos per box yet most boxes yielded about 2 autos.

2000 UD Yankee Sig Series: One Yankee auto per pack......who played five games with them and no one remembers who they are.

As much as I cant stand TTT, its a heck of a lot better than anything above.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
RandomH said:
2006 Epic maybe? seems like a lot of worthless GU.

While the autos are still desirable and some of the swatch cards are really nice of the Ruths and Gehrigs, most of it is crap. And it was easy as hell to see what packs had the bat barrel quad cards in them. They looked like bricks in the box.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Topps Sterling box for $250.

It's one of lowest returns for your money on average for any product on the market.

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
Loose, older Legendary Cuts box because it's from a case that had the ONE cut auto per case already pulled, don't let the print runs tempt you(2001 Cuts had 475 Dimaggios, 147 Jackie Robinsons, 113 Walter Johnsons!)

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
brouthercard said:

It's one of lowest returns for your money on average for any product on the market.

are you saying plain white jerseys of Tony Gwynn numbered to 10 arnt cool? :|

:lol:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
donrusscrusademan said:
brouthercard said:

are you saying plain white jerseys of Tony Gwynn numbered to 10 arnt cool? :|

:lol:
With this said I have to say 2010 Topps Tribute goes on here. I have not seen to much I would get excited about in this product this year. Yea ok there is Stras in it (redemption) and even some old stuff, but the Buy back's are a stretch and not adding to it's low resale value.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jeff N. said:
ANY LEgendary Cut product.

2009 Upper Deck X.

I didn't have a huge problem with UD X. While there really is no bang to the product, it offered a low price point and some cool looking cards. What's a better way to get kids into and excited about baseball cards than something like this?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="Jeff N.":2x0z4a3k]ANY LEgendary Cut product.

2009 Upper Deck X.

I didn't have a huge problem with UD X. While there really is no bang to the product, it offered a low price point and some cool looking cards. What's a better way to get kids into and excited about baseball cards than something like this?[/quote:2x0z4a3k]

Base Topps.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jeff N. said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":3ag1z4q2][quote="Jeff N.":3ag1z4q2]ANY LEgendary Cut product.

2009 Upper Deck X.

I didn't have a huge problem with UD X. While there really is no bang to the product, it offered a low price point and some cool looking cards. What's a better way to get kids into and excited about baseball cards than something like this?[/quote:3ag1z4q2]

Base Topps.[/quote:3ag1z4q2]

I agree, but UDX was like 99 cents per pack, right? I mean, guys like us who understand the card world should know not to expect anything from a product like that. But for kids who are new to the card world, what's wrong with a little alternative to the usual base Topps? The base set was ugly IMO, but the also had some cool little diecuts and inserts. I don't know because I'm not six anymore, but seems like something I would have enjoyed opening right after my pack of base Topps.

I see what you're saying......but I'm just saying.

saferseas

Mar 9, 2010
Portland, OR
Regular Topps.

They've elevated the price with the promise of a crappy gu'd/auto, along with whatever their latest gimmick is. Why couldn't they leave it as a cheap set collectors' set and improve their mid-range products?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
IMO this is worth discussing. What *should* someone expect from a pack of cards? Does someone need a PhD or 20 years experience in the field to understand a piece of cardboard? Or should a twelve year old be able to understand pretty much everything out there? Interesting how thirty or forty years ago nobody thought any cards would've attained any real value, value always seems to be where someone doesn't expect it to be.

Sometimes people expect too much from their cards, although I understand some people have to make a buck off 'em to stay in the hobby. In twenty years for all we know all this stuff may be just about worthless anyway and many of us would've been better off buying scratch-off lottery tickets!

ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I agree, but UDX was like 99 cents per pack, right? I mean, guys like us who understand the card world should know not to expect anything from a product like that. But for kids who are new to the card world, what's wrong with a little alternative to the usual base Topps? The base set was ugly IMO, but the also had some cool little diecuts and inserts. I don't know because I'm not six anymore, but seems like something I would have enjoyed opening right after my pack of base Topps.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I was commenting that UDX isn't a bad product because it has a low enough price point that anyone with any budget is able to buy it. For someone with lots of hobby experience who is only interested in chasing "hits" this might the worst product imaginable. But for those who appreciate cards for aesthetics, players, and fun, UDX isn't a bad option at 99 cents per pack or whatever it is.

I enjoy the business side of this hobby and I'm not ashamed of that, but I also like to collect. Opening a couple packs of stuff like UDX takes me back to my childhood days when it was all about the players on the cards, not their values.

uniquebaseballcards said:
IMO this is worth discussing. What *should* someone expect from a pack of cards? Does someone need a PhD or 20 years experience in the field to understand a piece of cardboard? Or should a twelve year old be able to understand pretty much everything out there? Interesting how thirty or forty years ago nobody thought any cards would've attained any real value, value always seems to be where someone doesn't expect it to be.

Sometimes people expect too much from their cards, although I understand some people have to make a buck off 'em to stay in the hobby. In twenty years for all we know all this stuff may be just about worthless anyway and many of us would've been better off buying scratch-off lottery tickets!

ALL_THE_HYPE said:

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Any 2010 Topps product. All prices are inflated because of $trasburg making it impossible to pick up boxes at normal prices. Strasburg in Bowman, sure. But this Ginter thing and throwing him in every 2010 product to hit the shelves between now and the end of the year makes pricing rediculous. I'll go back and finish my 2010 sets next year once he becomes a normal 18-20 game winning Cy Young contending cheap pick up like every other non-prospect pitching All-Star.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
Im a big fan of the original UDX. it was cheap, base looked decent, they were not lazy on the pics, inserts were cool as were die cuts for kids, autos were nice looking (although the only good ones are Longo and Jeter) and the main thing, as mentioned... it duper cheap. I think that product had the legacy case hits plus presidential cuts as well... so its theres something to aim for.

Members online

Latest posts