Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

whats a better investment???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
whats a better long term investment in your opinion? buying a lot of low to mid valued cards or buying a few high dollar cards of a future hall of famer?

vintagerookies51

Aug 10, 2010
I'm no expert on modern collecting, but I'd still have to say bying a few high valued cards for investing. That's what i do with vintage anyway. Get some more opinions :)

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
yeah, for flipping. if someone in the future has 100 to spend they wont buy the HOF you have, but the "next big thing" instead. the tard cycle ::facepalm::

vintagerookies51

Aug 10, 2010
You know vintage HOF'ers raise a lot more in value than modern "future" HOF'ers? They'll buy it if they're a vintage collector.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
uniquebaseballcards said:
Don't most people think almost everything modern is strictly short-term (?) Otherwise people wouldn't be flipping.

People flip because they can. Has nothing to do with what it is. I'd be willing to bet if someone offered twice as much as you paid for a card in your sig, you'd take it.

Also, not all modern card collectors are about the flip/profit. There are some of us that do collect as well, you have to 'collect' or else you wouldn't know the market. You want to be an informed consumer when buying anything, why wouldn't this apply to cards.

The tard cycle? Amazing how some can call others tards when they themselves mustn't be that bright because they are bashing the people actually pumping $ into this hobby. The tard cycle is having the same prospectors vs. vintage fight everyday on this site. That is the tard cycle.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Joshua.Roundtree said:
Don't most people think almost everything modern is strictly short-term (?) Otherwise people wouldn't be flipping.

People flip because they can. Has nothing to do with what it is. I'd be willing to bet if someone offered twice as much as you paid for a card in your sig, you'd take it.

Also, not all modern card collectors are about the flip/profit. There are some of us that do collect as well, you have to 'collect' or else you wouldn't know the market. You want to be an informed consumer when buying anything, why wouldn't this apply to cards.

The tard cycle? Amazing how some can call others tards when they themselves mustn't be that bright because they are bashing the people actually pumping $ into this hobby. The tard cycle is having the same prospectors vs. vintage fight everyday on this site. That is the tard cycle.

This is precise. Who cares what other people collect?

I must admit that I'm very tolerant of other people's posts here as I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but all these passive aggressive attacks against anyone who has ever made a profit on a baseball card are really starting to get old.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="Joshua.Roundtree":5ve34yvv]

I must admit that I'm very tolerant of other people's posts here as I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but all these passive aggressive attacks against anyone who has ever made a profit on a baseball card are really starting to get old.[/quote:5ve34yvv]

Agreed. It's like every post from uniquebaseballcards is an attack on prospecting.

Look dude, we know you hate prospecting and prospectors for making money off of your hobby. Shut up already.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Although you can look at this a few different ways, I'll take on the stance as to what would be easiest to reclaim your money out of first and foremost, with actual profit being second fiddle. And with that being the case, graded vintage wins hands down. It's been the preverbial 'rock' of card collecting for quite some time now, and has garnered the term 'teflon' as to it's resale value, even in downed economic times. So, for investment purposes, I'd invest in something that has the greatest chance to atleast give me my money back, and thats graded vintage. Anything moders is just to volatile for me to consider an 'investment', but the gamble has a much greater chance of reward.

So, to recap. If your looking to invest your money, look elswhere than a hobby. If your dead set on investing in this hobby, seek out established, graded vintage. If your looking to gamble, your guess is a good as mine. Although it's much easier for a $5 rookie auto to see a 20x spike than it is for a $100 Rookie auto to see the same spike, so take from that what you will.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Joshua.Roundtree said:

I am floored.I actually agree with your post.
Mike

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
hofmichael said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

The tard cycle? Amazing how some can call others tards when they themselves mustn't be that bright because they are bashing the people actually pumping $ into this hobby. The tard cycle is having the same prospectors vs. vintage fight everyday on this site. That is the tard cycle
I am floored.I actually agree with your post. :D
Mike

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
The fact you said "investment" would lead me to say it's best to go with a few high-end stable cards of proven players.

You could potentially make more off the mid-end lot, but for that to be the case I'd think you;d have to be constantly monitoring the market and cashing in on any brief price spikes, as opposed to strictly holding on long-term.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
i was actually looking to pick up some kevin durant cards (not baseball)and was thinking of buying a bunch of beckett 9.5 cards for around 20-25, but then i was curious if i should just buy some high end rookie autos???

thanks for all the posts

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Just like anything else people flip because they want or need money more than the card, although a few pure sellers may enjoy making a deal most. Its just not that complicated.

Anybody can observe any market and sell...or buy...slivers of cardboard just like anything else, and its usually easy to spot the buyer and the seller on any particular transaction. But not all realtors own homes, not all car salesmen own cars, not all jewelers own diamond necklaces...although some clearly do. There are plenty of sellers without a PC to speak of, and why shouldn't there be? There are sellers who prefer $ over cards and why shouldn't there be?

Sellers in corporations often know the *least* about their product, they're good at making people feel comfortable, good at making relationships, good at marketing and closing the deal. Card sellers may or may not know a ton about the cards they sell either. None of this is a bad thing...as long as buyers understand a seller's primary motivation.

Motivations aren't always easy to tell on an internet message board, particularly considering motivations change...and why shouldn't motivations change? But which would a collector prefer to hear advice from *least*: a seller, collector or seller/collector? Clearly a seller/collector because a seller/collector's motivation is least known. But a seller should prefer to hear advice from another seller; a seller/collector from the same.

I definitely agree common sense says that while we would like life to be easy and assume a seller to have our interests at heart, one needs to figure out his/her own interests and assume a seller's interest is not always his/her own. But buyers should want sellers to be *transparent* in the way they conduct their business, it helps determine a seller's motivation. There's a lot about today's hobby that is not transparent and not easily understood by newbies or novices that are involved in a huge part of the hobby's business...

The 'pumping of money' in modern cards as we know is often a temporary, artificial inflation until the bubble bursts! The definition of short-term, one doesn't need to be a modern collector to understand how this works, although newbies and novices might not expect sudden price declines that don't occur nearly as frequently in vintage.

Jeez enough of my going on here this was more like a Sunday blog post...and as others can attest to, none of my cards are for sale :)

Joshua.Roundtree said:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
No, you guys think 'collecting' has to involve both buying and selling. It doesn't.

aminors said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="Joshua.Roundtree":1n4wp69o]

I must admit that I'm very tolerant of other people's posts here as I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but all these passive aggressive attacks against anyone who has ever made a profit on a baseball card are really starting to get old.

Agreed. It's like every post from uniquebaseballcards is an attack on prospecting.

Look dude, we know you hate prospecting and prospectors for making money off of your hobby. Shut up already.[/quote:1n4wp69o]

Members online

Latest posts